FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

rmric0
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Brian Virts wrote:
I've seen venues and MUA's pull out cameras and take pics, never a DJ.

I guess we'll see the DJ/photog combo coming along, buy one get one free...

Every time I scope out a bridal fair I always see two or three, though they tend to be teams rather than one man bands.

Mar 27, 2011 at 05:58 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

only time i've seen this.. is when I attended a wedding as a guest that Tony was shooting at. The DJ, who is a major tool, had some guy in a suit with a mohawk, running around with a camera. I'm pretty sure that Tony told the guy to go sit down or he'd put the smack down... because the dude with the hawk disappeared after that...

Mar 27, 2011 at 09:58 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

The guy at the wedding yesterday had a slr type setup (not sure what it was...the lens looked semi removable..haha) and was snapping shots like crazy. He then proceeded to ask me for my shots as well. I was like um why not just use yours? He said well if you send me yours then I will just have more. hmmmm
Maybe I can work out a deal with him for some mp3's or something....

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM
david1234
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

wish you took a pic of him hahaha!

Mar 28, 2011 at 01:03 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

I don't think ive ever seen DJs taking pictures at receptions before.

Mar 28, 2011 at 07:53 AM
klee.007
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Budget DJ checklist:

5. Update Facebook status about how much you're rockin this wedding.

Ha!

Keith

Mar 28, 2011 at 08:03 AM
Shaun Nyc
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Why?

So the DJ's that setup lcds can show images as reception unfolds,The ones I ran into last season were called "zap shooters" by the photogs I worked for. Usually sporting a rebel/kit lens and getting in the way every other minute.

Mar 28, 2011 at 08:57 AM
4honor
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

I don't think I have seen any DJ's taking photos here, but I do know a photographer with very nice setups (1Ds3, 50L, 85L, etc). He never took it out though, until we asked for them to which he took it out for us to play with...

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:01 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Ok seriously now... I have run into this problem before... in one case it was enormously obnoxious for three reasons:

1. The a-hole had a piece of shit camera to begin with... one of the silver digital rebels with an atrociously hideous thing on his flash that reminded me of a thong sticking out of a pair of jeans... on a non attractive ass.

2. He was dressed like he was trying to impress tween girls from the eighties... looked just like Ralph Macchio in My cousin Vinnie... yeah.

3. He kept getting in the way.

The problem with points 1 and 2 is that of course I'm sure some of the guests assumed a-hole was with us.

I'm working on a revision to my contract that expressly forbids any vendors working the event from taking any photos of the event. Since all my pacakges include digital files the revision will mention that any vendors at the event should feel free to contact me for any photos they would like for their own promotion and that within reason I welcome requests provided that i can fit them within the schedule.

It's not that I don't want them to have photos, I just don't want them to make me look bad in the process.

Heck at the last wedding i had a douchebag from the venue who was taking photos in jeans and a t-shirt... and at one point, while father and daughter were chatting in the limo before getting out he goes to them "come on out, let me get some photos of you exiting the limo"

Took him aside and informed him that if he so much as even thought about interrupting my clients while they're having an intimate moment on the daughter's wedding day I would shove his camera up his ass. I don't know what it is about douchebags in jeans and t-shirts on the wedding day... but they somehow bring out the worst in me.

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:30 AM
ClareinME
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

I have only dealt with this once, and it was pretty annoying! The DJ actually took out his camera during the ceremony and proceeded to walk around to get his shots.

He started to take photos during the first dance, but he realized he should have stayed behind his DJ table when the song stopped half way through and he had to scramble to get back and restart it.

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:47 AM
photolove84
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

ClareinME wrote:
I have only dealt with this once, and it was pretty annoying! The DJ actually took out his camera during the ceremony and proceeded to walk around to get his shots.

He started to take photos during the first dance, but he realized he should have stayed behind his DJ table when the song stopped half way through and he had to scramble to get back and restart it.

HAHA

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:52 AM
Miker Reid
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Yeah my last wedding had a DJ out taking pictures for a slide show he was going to show during the reception.

I reminded the mother of the bride that their contract had a clause that no other vendors could take photos during the wedding (which I had put in there because of this same DJ who did that to me last year, yes his crappy pictures of the poor guests displayed 10 feet tall was so embarrasing to them). She asked him to stop.

This is the same DJ who told my assistant and second shooter to hold the doors open while the wedding party entered when their mission was to be outside shooting the wedding party getting ready to enter(my helpers are sweet young ladies who didn't know how to tell him to blank blank!)
Of course when I discovered this situation I had words with the DJ about it.
I don't think he likes me much...........

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Miker Reid wrote:
This is the same DJ who told my assistant and second shooter to hold the doors open while the wedding party entered when their mission was to be outside shooting the wedding party getting ready to enter(my helpers are sweet young ladies who didn't know how to tell him to blank blank!)
Of course when I discovered this situation I had words with the DJ about it.
I don't think he likes me much...........

Lisy78 wrote:
...Took him aside and informed him that if he so much as even thought about interrupting my clients while they're having an intimate moment on the daughter's wedding day I would shove his camera up his ass. I don't know what it is about douchebags in jeans and t-shirts on the wedding day... but they somehow bring out the worst in me.

We should shoot together sometime. I'll bring the baseball bat... you know... if we need it. We can set up a temporary company "Vinnie and Luigi" ... I'll be Luigi.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM
joosay
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Hire someone to mess with their unattended DJ equipment. Should be interesting.

Better yet, bring the most entry level DJ equipment and hook it up on some nice 2.1 computer speaker system.

Do some DJ'ing yourself and get on the microphone! Hell, they are doing your work so why not do theirs!

battle of the DJ's

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:06 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Have never dealt with anything like this...but it makes me realize I need to re-vamp my exclusivity clause in my contract to include vendors...

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

If you are not buddies with them, just come up to him(it's usually a guy) and tell him to stop taking pictures as he'll be in a lot of your shots and that later on the clients won't be happy about that.

I cut off a lot of people like that during my weddings. I am there to make sure I deliver the best possible results and anyone in the way of that gets a "kick in the face"(not the guests though ).
Also helps if you explain that during a meeting. My clients actually tell me to kick and punch the guests out of my way,but I've never done that yet.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Pandemic
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

lisy78 wrote:
I'm working on a revision to my contract that expressly forbids any vendors working the event from taking any photos of the event. Since all my pacakges include digital files the revision will mention that any vendors at the event should feel free to contact me for any photos they would like for their own promotion and that within reason I welcome requests provided that i can fit them within the schedule.

Approximately 70% of the events that I have been to over the past three years have had a vendor taking pictures. It could be the DJ. It could be the tent people. It could be the lighting company. It could be the hotel/winery/spa/etc. It could be the florist. It could be the caterer. Undoubtably, it's a growing trend. Their reasons are legitimate- to visually represent what their products/services are like.

IANAL, and I don't mean this to be harsh, but a contract between parties A and B is not binding to non-signatories (party C). Your only means of enforcement is through the contracted parties- the bride and groom. What are the penalties- Withholding the final product? It would seem to me that you're punishing your client for someone else's behavior. How is that good for your company's reputation among brides?

lisy78 wrote:
It's not that I don't want them to have photos, I just don't want them to make me look bad in the process.

I'm not sure what you mean. You don't want them to make you look bad at the wedding & reception? Or with the final product?

If the videographer states that she wrote a contract with bride and groom stipulating the she has exclusive rights to any and all audio/visual productions during the event, and lets you know during the wedding, what would you say?

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

The problem is that when DJ's put up those slideshows with their crappy images, guests may think those images were taken by the hired photographer.

or

While this guy is running around snapping images like an ass (I've seen this), some guests may think the two of you are working together.

Either way, this kind of confusion could reflect badly on the hiredphotographer.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM
adcphotography
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

maxwell1295 wrote:
The problem is that when DJ's put up those slideshows with their crappy images, guests may think those images were taken by the hired photographer.

or

While this guy is running around snapping images like an ass (I've seen this), some guests may think the two of you are working together.

Either way, this kind of confusion could reflect badly on the hiredphotographer.

+1

i've had people think the DJ was with me. they complained about him to the MOB and the MOB approached me about it.
she didn't think i had brought a second shooter, but wanted to make sure. it was the DJ's assistant running around interrupting everything.
i was SO embarrassed, even that someone thought we were associated.

Mar 28, 2011 at 01:11 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

Pandemic wrote:
Approximately 70% of the events that I have been to over the past three years have had a vendor taking pictures. It could be the DJ. It could be the tent people. It could be the lighting company. It could be the hotel/winery/spa/etc. It could be the florist. It could be the caterer. Undoubtably, it's a growing trend. Their reasons are legitimate- to visually represent what their products/services are like.

IANAL, and I don't mean this to be harsh, but a contract between parties A and B is not binding to non-signatories (party C). Your only means of enforcement is through
...Show more

You bring up a great point, I thought further about it after writing and yeah, putting it in the contract is pointless. What I think I'll do is get a bunch of press printed cards made up that say something like:

"Dear ________________,
we are excited to have you working our wedding on ____________
we wanted to inform you that our photographers, Di Sciascio Photography
have graciously agreed to allow you to have any professional images from the wedding that show your work in exchange for just being included on your preferred vendor list and a link to their site: www.disciascio.com.

They also agreed to honor any reasonable specific requests that you might have, which you make them aware of prior to the wedding if they can do so without compromising our coverage.

Because of this we ask that you respect our wishes and refrain from bringing any photography equipment to the event and ensure your employees refrain as well.

Thank you

The Bride and Groom _________________________________________________"

I can put stamps on them and handt hem to the clients when they sign the contract.

Shouldn't be a difficult sell explaining to them how they will NEVER BENEFIT from those vendors actions and in fact they could be adversely affected.

I don't see any negatives and I can get press printed postcards done super-cheap in bulk where it's not even an issue.

Oh yeah.. and I assume you caught where I get more than my money's worth back due to the requirement of being included in the preferred vendor list and have a link to my site, right?

Mar 28, 2011 at 02:00 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.