yeah, thanks...probably was but I took some heat for it on another forum
It's pretty confusing to most...especially when the lame comparisons start
Could anything BE more apples n oranges....I dunno

Mar 24, 2011 at 05:56 PM
passthegravy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D7000 or D2x

Of course, about the time we all start using that term, Nikon will come out with a D7, and then we'll all be confused again.

Mar 24, 2011 at 07:38 PM
carnesto1

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D7000 or D2x

I can't comment on the D2X but did want to help with claims of the D7000 grip being loose. The simple remedy is to wrap some tape on the metal pin on the grip. It will be obvious once you see the grip.

Enjoy your D7000.

Mar 24, 2011 at 09:18 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D7000 or D2x

D7000 is better in every way except that it lacks the traditional 10-pin port (which I use for remote wireless shutter release, manual cable release, and bluetooth for GPS). The D2x (and I owned a couple) was never that good a camera and a terrible value compared to the Canon 1D Mark II available at the same time or for that matter the Canon 5D.

I would pick a D200 over a D2x and have better battery life, CLS with the built-in flash, and double the ISO capability.

Mar 25, 2011 at 01:18 AM
sethny
• •
[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D7000 or D2x

elkhornsun wrote:
D7000 is better in every way except that it lacks the traditional 10-pin port (which I use for remote wireless shutter release, manual cable release, and bluetooth for GPS). The D2x (and I owned a couple) was never that good a camera and a terrible value compared to the Canon 1D Mark II available at the same time or for that matter the Canon 5D.

I would pick a D200 over a D2x and have better battery life, CLS with the built-in flash, and double the ISO capability.

I'm sorry but do you have a real experience? I'm saying this because I have to remind you that you're talking in a room full of photographers.
Now my take on this:
I shoot with a canon 1Ds Mark II and a D2Xs every day and I did use a 1D Mark IIN for about a year and I don't see how the 1D2 could possibly match the D2Xs : impossible, no way , unless you're talking about fiction (cameras not for real, but invented). The D2Xs gives the same quality and resolution of the 1Ds Mark II if it wasn't for the fact that the FOV is different and the use of the lenses is not the same (obviously). I'm gonna be even more explicit: the 1D Mark IIN is a spectacular camera for news and sports only because the material needed (in that area) doesn't involve "resolution" - files filed on the spot as small jpegs , 3000x2000 tops, in quality 5 to be clear). But in full resolution the 1DIIN comes down short compared to the D2Xs and 1DsII. Not even close.

sorry but it's not like now everybody can come up and talk (about stuff they have no idea about it) like there are no photographers around.

Mar 25, 2011 at 04:23 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D7000 or D2x

elkhornsun wrote:

these claims are just not true.

Mar 25, 2011 at 06:52 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D7000 or D2x

I would pick a D200 over a D2x and have better battery life
^ definitely on crack The D200 has THE worst battery life of all The D2X gets 4x as many frames per charge. Wow, just wow!

Mar 25, 2011 at 09:00 AM
Pandemic
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D7000 or D2x

Since this is the internet, I have to mention a left-field possibility: the D300. NOT the D300s, since they are still expensive on the used market. A minty D300 is about $800, produces very nice images up to ISO1600, has a weather-sealed body, can be gripped for HULKSMASHHANDS, has lots of buttons, and is a proven performer.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D7000 or D2x

I like the D200... a lot. But battery life ain't one of its endearing qualities

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM
countcatula

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D7000 or D2x

Pandemic wrote:
Since this is the internet, I have to mention a left-field possibility: the D300. NOT the D300s, since they are still expensive on the used market. A minty D300 is about $800, produces very nice images up to ISO1600, has a weather-sealed body, can be gripped for HULKSMASHHANDS, has lots of buttons, and is a proven performer.

I've been bidding on the D300 bodies on ebay for the last two weeks. Most of the decent ones (low actuations, decent sellers) are going for 850-950. I was going crazy on the D300(s) vs D7000 choice. My final decision was when the D400 comes out, I'll trade in the D7k for the D400 (only reason really apart from the D300 not having dual media slots).

Mar 25, 2011 at 01:22 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D7000 or D2x

Glad to be helpful.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:11 PM
countcatula

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D7000 or D2x

Thanks again to everyone for your advice. I really like the D7000. The camera with the grip is an exceptional piece of hardware (in my humble opinion). I wanted to upload a photo that I just took a couple hours ago but it looks like image upload is available only with new posts?

http://g1.img-dpreview.com/4BC61406C8C244FABADCB609FA652076.jpg

Was playing with an AIS 135mm F2.8 and took that photo.

Apr 10, 2011 at 07:40 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D7000 or D2x

My strategy with cameras has been to buy Nikon's mid priced bodies, such as D7000 and D300 series. They give the most value for the dollar. I replace them after every other new body is released, i.e. I skip a generation. My priority is the rest of my photo system (tripod/head, lenses, flash, software) and I now see cameras as something disposable I just plug into the system and regularly replace. I'd rather have a basic camera with newer technology (sensor) than an older one with more bells and whistles. Doing this consistently over time has given me a very balanced and capable system that will do everything I ask.

Kent in SD

Apr 10, 2011 at 09:41 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D7000 or D2x

an update after a few more assignments with the D7000: there is no way I will ever use the D2x again for a serious assignment. The pro "feeling" is nice but it does not make pictures. The D7000 is a much better tool for almost all situations. The only real issue is the buffer size, but I learned not to rely on the buffer size by taking the right picture instead of taking a lot of unnecessary pictures in continuous mode. I am even considering adding another one to my collection, the D3 becoming my backup then (I am serious).
I have got the reach back, high ISO performance is amazing for a DX camera and more than good enough, dynamic range is much better, it is light weight, the user interface is very nicely designed and I don't really miss the pro body stuff most of the time (positioning of buttons, more direct function - in practice, not really needed). And about reliability, my pro bodies are the only ones that actually failed me after a ridiculously low number of pics. I luckily had a D200 in my bag when the shutter failed on my D3 in the middle of an assignment. I really start thinking differently in terms of gear.

Guy

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D7000 or D2x

Wow... that's a wonderful image, Doug. Bravo

Apr 10, 2011 at 07:22 PM
tjny
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D7000 or D2x

gugs wrote:
an update after a few more assignments with the D7000: there is no way I will ever use the D2x again for a serious assignment. The pro "feeling" is nice but it does not make pictures. The D7000 is a much better tool for almost all situations. The only real issue is the buffer size, but I learned not to rely on the buffer size by taking the right picture instead of taking a lot of unnecessary pictures in continuous mode. I am even considering adding another one to my collection, the D3 becoming my backup then (I am serious).
I
...Show more

Reign of over priced gear ends here! Bravo Guy .

Posters with over 3000 post are saying with straight face, D7K is no better than a D300...crap D7k needs not just better glass but also better vision.

I sold my D300 for half of what I payed and swithed to D7K. Dx not only increases reach of long glass it even makes macro shots, instead of 1:1 to 1.5 : 1

Apr 10, 2011 at 09:15 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D7000 or D2x

It's hard to imagine that the race to 'trade and up-grade' that was once something that one only experienced working behind the counter of a camera store counter, has now gone global.. We all talk about it together in a huge forum type settings, and it's just like to old days when the 'daily fixture' types would come in and talk, brag, compare all of their new acquisitions.

Looking back on the original D1 when introduced, I remember getting a full edge to edge 8 X 10 from a Nikon Rep of a woman boxer wearing a red foam head guard. Along with that came all the tech specs of this new digital body and what it was going to do for the future of photography.

Good Pictures? You bet.. Better than I ever thought possible from a digital body. But when placed under close scrutiny, one wasn't about to walk away from film anytime soon.

But once these sensors surpassed that of the film we were using and we were capable of getting the same size enlargements out of them, then it became a question of merely bells & whistles.

ISO Range, AF Speed, Battery Life, Body Build etc...

Like I need 128 focus or metering points
OR
12000 + ISO ??

So when I read about people touting the extremely clean looks of images made at 800-1600+ ISO, I always think about those daily guys that would come in and yak it up about needing the best, the latest, the greatest piece of new kit to come down the pike.

Bottom line (IMHO) is that, I WANT some noise in my high ISO shots. It's the way photos have looked since photos have been created. I've learned to use that in my composition and expect to see it when I shoot in these ranges. It's part of what makes photos look like photos. It replicates the same thing as I would get from pushing my 400 ASA plastic way past it's limitations of chemical possibilities.

If I see images made of a subject/place that clearly, you can see required such a high ISO, and see something I can cut my fingers on..... It looks fake, doctored up, plastic. NOT REAL. It makes me think some guy that dreaded the composition end of the creation and just sat in CS5 for an hour to make it pretty.

NOT Photography, for me. So I have been using the D2x since it's release and I don't do billboard type images. If I did, I would have to consider the PhaseOne type bodies for sure.. But for the guy making his living or Pro/Ams I can get stellar and stunning images from the D2x suitable for major wall projects or clients.

So I guess what I'm saying after this small rant is.. We've reached it people.

We're there. We have surpassed film in every way. No longer dependent on lab balancing on a given day or all of those other variables that took the wind out of our images before. Complete control from beginning to end from the comfort of our desk chairs.

So unless your after a HiDef movie camera/SLR/High ISO/Dishwasher/Baby Sitter all-in-one type of camera.. (Why would someone want that) Why all the clammering?

Learn to embrace your limitations and enjoy the little noise you may get. Some of us old farts think it's a good thing.

Let the flames begin...

Edited on Apr 18, 2011 at 01:33 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2011 at 07:48 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D7000 or D2x

At ISO 100, the D7000 is a match for any DSLR on the market. The files are beautiful. Even my D700 can't entirely match it at 100 ( 200 for the 700).

Apr 16, 2011 at 08:14 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D7000 or D2x

John Skinner wrote:
It's hard to imagine that the race to 'trade and up-grade' that was once something that one only experienced working behind the counter of a camera store counter, has now gone global.. We all talk about it together in a huge forum type settings, and it's just like to old days when the 'daily fixture' types would come in and talk, brag, compare all of their new acquisitions.

Looking back on the original D1 when introduced, I remember getting a full edge to edge 8 X 10 from a Nikon Rep of a woman boxer wearing a red foam head
...Show more

I have to say that I love the noise I get at ISO 1600 B&W on my D90. And to be honest, I even like the noise that I get on 35m Velvia 100 in the middle of the day. A little touch of grain looks nice.

And I am still sad that my dad didn't wait two months longer to buy a camera as an early wedding present. I'd love to have a D7000

Apr 16, 2011 at 08:32 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D7000 or D2x

The D2x is fine up to ISO 640. If you are willing to live with that limitation, no video, and no internal commander flash, then it is a camera to consider. My D2x was the worst camera purchase decision I have made over the past 20 years. Second worst was the D2h. The D2 generation is what sent droves of pro photographers over to Canon, myself included.

Apr 20, 2011 at 05:06 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.