New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

I wasn't here to receive my cameras from Canon CPS, so I went to the FedEx to pick them up. I sent my bodies to Canon in one box double bubble wrapped separated in a box lined with bubble wrap and taped down. I received two boxes well packaged actually shipped one day apart. I'm thinking cool, for some reason I felt compelled to open them at FedEx. I open the first box all is good letter says just dusty. Okay I start to leave then I thought what the heck and open the other box. I think my camera was dropped after it was cleaned and wrapped before packaging. The letter inside said it was just dusty inside also, cleaned and brought up to spec.

I called CPS while still in the FedEx lobby they sent me a return next day label before I could even get home. It will be back at CPS on Monday to be fixed and checked. The damaged body really doesn't look like it was cleaned very well still lots of dust on the mirror. This happened on my first time sending to the new location in Virginia, this never happen to me once in New Jersey.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Uh oh, just sent my 40D to Virginia for a clean and check! I have been using Irving.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM
watkinssr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Just got my 70-200 back from Va...they did a great job.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

That would upset me a bit, good luck Jarvis.

Rod

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

This has happened to me. I sent in an expensive lens to get it cleaned in NJ. I even sent pictures showing exactly the problem. It came back with nothing apparently done. Sent it in again, came back with a chipped glass element and glass fragments inside, still not a thorough job with cleaning, went back the third time. Quick turn around time, but if job is not done right, it's just waste of time. Very disappointed with their service.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Gavin Gilmour

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

That is very disscouraging to hear.
I would think that Canon them selves would not be happy to hear of things like this happening,

Dose Canon realy care?

Mar 19, 2011 at 02:48 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

It's extremely difficult to get good employees so you often have to make due with some pretty terrible ones if you want to fill the position...

Mar 19, 2011 at 03:14 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

I'm pretty sure you're going to get an entire new cover. The nice thing is that all of your buttons are going to have new "pop" to them because everything will be cleaned out thoroughly. I had a 1ds MKII with a funky FEL button and hotshoe and on the 3rd trip back to Canon Irvine, they just replaced the whole top w/o charge. Fixed the problem and probably added $150 resale value to my body!!

Now Irvine CPS is top-notch since the West Coast is the best coast, but hopefully your experience will also have a happy ending.

Mar 19, 2011 at 03:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Ouch! Hope it works out well for you.

Mar 19, 2011 at 04:54 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Damn what is going on with Canon? you got this and another person on this forum had Canon lose his 50 1.2

At least they are going to fix yours but i am sure you would have rather had it perfect when you got it.

Good luck

Mar 19, 2011 at 03:22 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Terribly discouraging to read these reports.

Mar 19, 2011 at 03:32 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

They honestly had the balls to send it back to you like that? I thought a fractured eye piece was bad but this is ridiculous.

Mar 19, 2011 at 04:01 PM
J_Andrew
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

mabidally wrote:
Terribly discouraging to read these reports.

Agree...

I used to send things to the NJ facility - had nothing but excellent service and results.

Now I'm being redirected to the VA facility (it's just a bit closer, but not really much), and the first time I send something (a 24-70 lens for a clean/calibrate), it comes back with a tear in the weathersealing ring, a 1/2 thumbprint on an inner rear element, and it's not really focusing any better. So I send it back, and the thumb print is mostly gone (you can still see a smudge on the edge if you turn the lens to the right angle in direct light) and still not really focusing any better. At least they replaced the weatherseal....I'm almost afraid to send it back again.

Not so sure about VA....I may call and ask CPS if they'll send me labels for the NJ facility. I asked on a call a while back about the switch, and they told me the VA facility is newer and should be better now that they have it up to speed.....

Mar 19, 2011 at 04:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Wrei wrote:
Uh oh, just sent my 40D to Virginia for a clean and check! I have been using Irving.

Normally I send my Canon stuff to Irvine. Who is Irving?

NJ messed up one of my bodies years ago. But I've had bad service everywhere, and don't get me started on Nikon. The sceneairo is if there is a local authorized service shop that you can bring products in person. Unfortunately that is not feasible for most people.

EBH

Mar 19, 2011 at 04:29 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

I sent a 17-55 lens in for an Er01 error last month and got it back from VA with more dust inside the lens than it left with,a palm print on the front element, and the rubber focus ring was turned under in two places. It required a return visit, but the second time the lens came back just like new.

Mar 19, 2011 at 05:01 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

J_Andrew wrote:
Agree...

I used to send things to the NJ facility - had nothing but excellent service and results.

Now I'm being redirected to the VA facility (it's just a bit closer, but not really much), and the first time I send something (a 24-70 lens for a clean/calibrate), it comes back with a tear in the weathersealing ring, a 1/2 thumbprint on an inner rear element, and it's not really focusing any better. So I send it back, and the thumb print is mostly gone (you can still see a smudge on the edge if you turn the lens to the right
...Show more

I still have some NJ labels, I almost used NJ anyway. Now I wish I had...
I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome...

Jarvis

Mar 19, 2011 at 06:11 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

I think you'll be fine. They will probably replace the top. I had a switch on my 1D MKIIN that didn't work and they replaced the whole top piece. Good Luck & God Speed.

Mar 19, 2011 at 06:16 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

While I'm sure they won't have a problem replacing the damaged parts receiving the camera back in such condition simply should not have happened. If you are a working professional and depend on your gear to make a living then unnecessarily sending it back to Canon only gives you more downtime. Since the camera was bubble wrapped I think it's pretty safe to say it was damaged at the facility during one process or another. It should not have even had the chance to leave without being repaired. I would try to get some type of compensation for your trouble...perhaps a voucher. Good luck.

Mar 19, 2011 at 07:53 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

M Vers wrote:
They honestly had the balls to send it back to you like that? I thought a fractured eye piece was bad but this is ridiculous.

+1

Mar 19, 2011 at 08:11 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arrgghh...CPS damaged one of my babies

Off topic, but if you use the search term Arggh, you'll see a hilarious amount of topics that start with that word.

Mar 19, 2011 at 09:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.