Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

rmhrmx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

I bought a Canon 1d mark iv refurbished from Canon USA recently. Wondering what is the shutter count. Can someone help to let me know what software can be used for such pps. Thanks!
R.R.

Mar 16, 2011 at 05:33 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

only canon can confirm how many shutter actuations are on a 1d4. there is NO software availalbe.

grant

Mar 16, 2011 at 06:15 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

You would think since you bought the camera from Canon,they would have the courtesy to tell you what the shutter count is.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Can you see any signs of use on the camera? My bet is that almost all of the "refurbs" are actually new bodies. Canon needs to get rid of them and retailers would scream if they sold them below wholesale so Canon puts them in a white box with a little refurbished sticker and lets them go cheap. I've bought a bunch of Canon refurbs and there has never been ANY sign of use on any of them.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Canon Rumors
• •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Canon refurbs are generally DOA products.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:13 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Canon Rumors wrote:

Could be some of that. However, my guess would be that most of them are either dealer returns (stock returned for other than DOA reasons). Also, a source of refurbs may be items which have snapped out of the normal Canon production process, but do not qualify as discards, due to deficiencies such as damaged packaging, lost/broken hoods (a replacement hood is supplied) , failure to pass the final inspection in the plant, etc.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Canon Rumors wrote:

I've bought quite a few refurbished Canon products over the years, and they have always been as good as, if not better than, new products off the shelf in local stores.

Also, any refurbished Canon camera I've bought has had the shot counter reset to zero.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:57 AM
lesgage
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

I purchased one from Canon too...I think it has no shots on it....they have been "refurbished" and are as new...my son use to work for a very large computer maker and he said in that case it was just another "supply link to sell computers" and that may be Canon mode of operations too? who knows but I would say for a $1000 less I am willing to take a chance...you still have some warranty and you have Canon to back it up...love mine!
Les

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM
rmhrmx

p.1 #9 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Just heard that only Canon knows the shutter count, and they won't tell me. Maybe I can try CPS to see if they can help.

Mar 18, 2011 at 02:02 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Factory repair centers can and will tell you the shutter count when you have it serviced, if you request it.

Mar 18, 2011 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

rmhrmx wrote:
I bought a Canon 1d mark iv refurbished from Canon USA recently. Wondering what is the shutter count. Can someone help to let me know what software can be used for such pps. Thanks!
R.R.

Did the camera come with all accessories (charger, etc.)? And approx. how much did you save?

Mar 18, 2011 at 03:27 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Don't worry about it. Refurbished items are basically new items that did not make it though manufacturing or were returned within the first week of sale for various reasons. They are not used items remarketed by Canon. In my opinion, buying refurbished means you are less likely to get an out-of-spec or defective product, as they have been checked and adjusted by service prior to resale.

Mar 18, 2011 at 04:57 PM
jbfaulconer
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

molson wrote:
I've bought quite a few refurbished Canon products over the years, and they have always been as good as, if not better than, new products off the shelf in local stores.

Also, any refurbished Canon camera I've bought has had the shot counter reset to zero.

Wondering how a refurb can be better than a new product? Is the fact that its a refurb means that it initially had problems?

Mar 18, 2011 at 09:53 PM
larkinsg

p.1 #14 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

A refurbished product is one that was either hauled off the line for inspection (Q/C) and then brought back up to new standard, a return from a distributor or customer for any number of reasons.

In all cases all "refurbs" have had to be checked, tested and inspected for proper function. "New" product is simply produced with a statistical sample that meets spec... or, more simply stated say there are at least X% that meet spec and at most 100-X% that do not meet spec. Refurbished equipment has to be tested and 100% functional at time of testing. You can still get a dead one but it is WAAAYYYY less likely!

Buying refurb is a good idea. Get an extended warranty with your savings. You would have bought one for the "new" product anyhow.....

Enjoy,

Grover

Mar 22, 2011 at 03:45 AM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

I think refurbs can be a good deal too, though not always. sometimes, the prices aren't too far off new.

Mar 22, 2011 at 04:02 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

It all depends....

I have bought refurbished 1D Mark III and 300/2.8L IS etc, all in like brand new condition, great deals for sure; but I also bought some refurbished, not even close to LNIB condition, like several 5D I bought years ago, I would rate the 9 out of 10....i doubt they even should be qualified for being refurbished at the first place, I am not talking a single copy..... so it depends on lots of factors etc...

Simply stating refurbished gears were double checked and have less issues compared brand new one is just not true...

And not all Canon refurbished bodies and lens were refurbished by Canon itself, mostly by third party... and believe it or not, even lots of Canon Service Center repair work were done by the contracted third party.

Cheers

Mar 22, 2011 at 04:32 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Generally when I have purchased refurbished items in the past, I have at one point or another realized why it was refurbished. In my experience, I notice some strange issues with the product that will slip right past QC. As a result, I don't do refurbs anymore. It's like a lottery.

Mar 22, 2011 at 02:33 PM
crimpshrine

p.1 #18 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

I bought a refurb 60d as a back up this month. Got it home and it was dead! Suprising that it had the quality checked blue sticker on it but obviously had not been! Apart from that it looked brand new. Jacobs offered to send it to be fixed but I decided that a dead camera repaired then dead then repaired was not really worth it in the end. As a back up I do not want to have one that might be a risk.

I also purchased a refurb 16-35mm ii before. That was as new, only thing I thought was different was it has 'warranty void if removed' sticker. Not sure if they normally have this as none of my other 'l's had this.

Mar 23, 2011 at 02:42 PM
coranda
• •
p.1 #19 · Canon 1d Mark iv refurbished

Grantland wrote:
only canon can confirm how many shutter actuations are on a 1d4. there is NO software availalbe.

grant

Not entirely true. There is a program called gphoto2 that can control and access lots of info from hundreds of different cameras, including the shutter count. I have used it successfully on a 5d Mk II, a 7D and a 1D Mk IV. Unfortunately, gphoto2 is only available for UNIX so you need a UNIX box (or a Mac) to run it.

May 15, 2011 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password