Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recom...

Peire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Hi everybody,

I am about to buy one of these.Which one would you choose and why?Any feedback much appreciated.

Mar 15, 2011 at 07:15 AM
j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Never shot the Oly but owned the CV20 when it was first introduced. It is one of the most flare-resistant lenses I've shot with, vivid colors and very compact. However, to achieve corner to corner sharpness, f/11 is really needed. Central sharpness is likewise average until ~f/6 or 7 and distortion is wave-type (moustache) and cannot be corrected. My sample was one of the first batch made and it overexposed from 0.3 to 1 EV, but not predictably. They did nltimately repair this issue but I don't think it's worth the US$550 (plus $50 for the hood).

Mar 15, 2011 at 07:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I prefer the Voigtlander. A quick search for 'oly' in the Atl forum turned up these relevant threads. The first thread compares the Oly and Voigtlander.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/986355
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920454
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/889096

Mar 15, 2011 at 07:48 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

See this review on the CV 20:

http://slrlensreview.com/web/voigtlander-slr-lenses-132/wide-angle-slr-lenses-134/705-voigtlander-color-skopar-asph-20mm-f35-slii.html

Mar 15, 2011 at 09:44 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I researched REALLY HARD before I passed on the Voigt and went with the Oly 21/3.5 and a Nikon 20/2.8 AIS and am still torn between the two for a variety of reasons.

Jim prefers the Voigt ... and that is what it probably comes down to ... preference.

In the WA/UWA realm, all choices will have to make concessions and compromises of some sort. For this reason it is ciritical (imho) to know what you are wanting to use it for and expect it to deliver for its drawing style ... landscape will have you one way, street will be different.

The threads that Jim has linked to give some good perspective ... for me I found the Voigt to be a bit too 'punchy' for me, vignette more than I care for and has the mustache distortion that I don't care for ... the Oly seems to be a little less contrasty and pretty even across the frame. ... my Nikon seems to have more central sharpness and more contrast (closer to the Voigt) and a CRC element for better mfd performance.

Again, depends on what you're expecting from your glass. Even the "King" Zeiss 21/2.8 has its mustache distortion (and is a BEAST). My take on the Voigt is that it is halfway between the Nikon and the Zeiss with a little character of each.

NOTE: I have NOT shot with the Voigt.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Thank you guys for your valuable feedback.I just want to buy something small with 20mm fl for nex (my "King" Zeiss ZE 21/2.8 is a little bit too big piece of a beast).

I've tried several copies of Nikkor 20/2.8 AIS/AFD but found it lacking corner sharpness on NEX even at f8.Maybe I'm spoiled too much by Zeiss Z and C/Y primes but 20mm Nikkors have disappointed me.

After some pondering I will probably go for the voigt,since it's newer design with aspherical element and NEX sensor is quite demanding.I like the rendering style of the Oly 24/2.8 that I have (similar to 21/3.5 from what I've seen from jcolewll's comparison) but think a little bit more of "punch" will better fit my expectations.

Thank you all very much again

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Peire wrote:
I just want to buy something small with 20mm fl for nex...

Ummm, why are you even looking at SLR lenses?

http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_fdih7blk4u.html

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Yes, My 20/2.8 AIS has weaker corners than the Oly (i.e. central sharpness) ... which works fine for mfd or street stuff where you have a central subject, so I use it largely as my 'foreshortening' lens (reasonable distortion too) with its better CRC @ mfd.

The Oly comes out when I need corner to corner.

I have no experience with the NEX ... Makten raises a good point

Mar 15, 2011 at 01:06 PM
RZetter
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Don't the wide rangefinder lenses have vignetting and odd colors in the corners when used on NEX due to the sharp angle of the light hitting the sensor? I recall a thread discussing this problem about the 35/1.4 Nokton, so it should be even more pronounced with a 20mm lens.

Mar 15, 2011 at 01:43 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Ummm, why are you even looking at SLR lenses?

http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_fdih7blk4u.html

I'm not only looking at but I'm using them exclusively.Why?Because for several reasons it seems the optimal choice from my perspective.

M-mount voigtlanders that I tried (Heliars 12mm and 15mm) as well as one Contax G lens (21/2.8 Biogon) presented unpleasant color shifts.SLR lenses are free of this blemish.

Being not into Leica M system I'm not gonna invest into Leica M lenses/Zeiss M lenses just for the sake of NEX.

C/Y lenses that I mostly use on NEX ( 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 Distagons,50/1.4 and 50/1.7 planars,60/2.8 Macro Planar C,85/2.8 Sonnar are not that much bigger than M lenses.

C/Y lenses from my "NEX kit" are all fitted with EF adapters so I can mount them on my EOS cameras any time I need it.M lenses can't be that versatile.

There are so many good and relatively small SLR lenses to chose from - much more than M lenses.

So why not?

Mar 15, 2011 at 02:38 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I loved the size and build of the Voigt, but past that not too much.

I'd honestly look at the Oly 18/21/24s or the Nikon 20s.

Mar 15, 2011 at 04:17 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I tried three different copies of the C/V 20mm F 3.5-all three had horrible vignetting through F11, and softness on both sides of the frame. I decided it wasn't worth the savings for a new lens, but the price sure made it tempting. I have no photos to post, because I was so disgusted, I deleted all the files produced from them

Mar 15, 2011 at 09:29 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

anscochrome wrote:
I tried three different copies of the C/V 20mm F 3.5-all three had horrible vignetting through F11, and softness on both sides of the frame. I decided it wasn't worth the savings for a new lens, but the price sure made it tempting. I have no photos to post, because I was so disgusted, I deleted all the files produced from them

A real disappointment especially after having shot with the SLI APO trio. Billed as an aspherical lens presumably to correct the expected SA's, it would not generate an acceptable image that could be enlarged to 11x14 unless the source file was shot at f/11 (and still soft in the very extreme corners).

Mar 15, 2011 at 09:42 PM
pixelpix
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I had 3 copies of the Olympus 21mm 3.5 and was not happy with any of them. Corner sharpness and CA being the real issues, plus a terrible red ring flare when shooting sunset/rise. I eventually gave up and went the 24mm 2.8 which was excellent! From samples that I have seen the Oly 18mm may also be worth a look.

I can't comment on the Voigtlander.

Rusty
http://blog.pixelpix.com.au

Mar 21, 2011 at 05:29 PM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

I have the OM21/3.5 and found it to be very impressive little lens. The OM wide angles are surprisingly good. I am so pleased with them that I now have 16/3.5, 18/3.5, 21/3.5.

Mar 22, 2011 at 06:51 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Oly 18/3.5 might be a bit pricy for NEX usage. It is an awesome lens.

Mar 22, 2011 at 07:45 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

You know, for a 2x crop sensor, the CV20 should do just fine; the vignetting and corner softness are non-issues and its flare resistence and great color will be the characteristics that prevail. Another option if you're really insistent on a MF lens might be a Nikkor 20/4 AI.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Good point @ the 2X crop factor ... trimming the softer edges/corners might make the Nikon or CV an option despite the Oly being a bit more even across the frame.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Bought used Voight 20 but it was defective mechanically I so returned.Meanwhile came across mint Oly 21 and catched it.Should arrive within a week.So - Oly and not Voigt after all .

Last week I bought mint Oly 24/2.8 as well - very nice lens.Sharp across the frame with minimal distortions.Zeiss it ain't by means of contrast but great colours and details anyway.Excited by this I bought good old Nikkor micro 105/2.8 AFD for NEX - it's insane isn't it? -does anyone knows where and when the next meeting of anonymous lensaholics takes place?

Mar 23, 2011 at 02:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Olympus OM 21/3.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5-which one would you recommend?

Congrats on the Oly's.

Mar 23, 2011 at 04:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.