Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

Matthew Cham
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

I have a few questions for Lightroom users who've previously used ViewNX/NX2 (not Capture NX/NX2):

a) Where does the metadata get stored in Lightroom? For example, in View NX2, if I change white balance, the change is recorded directly onto the NEF file. What does Lightroom do?

b) Can I tell Lightroom to store all the metadata in the same folder as my NEF file folder/directory? I just don't want a clutter of metadata folders in unknown or separate locations.

c) In View NX2, when I display a RAW image, it takes about 3 seconds for the instant JPEG preview to change into a RAW image preview (on Intel Quad Core Extreme CPU). Is Lightroom any faster in this regard?

d) In my limited experience with Lightroom 3 (about an hour of tinkering), I find that the default RAW image quality is not as good as the default settings of View NX2 (e.g. More chroma noise, poor highlight preservation, dull contrast). Other people have reported this as well. Can Lightroom 3 be tweaked to make it identical or better than NX2 output?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Feb 17, 2011 at 07:23 PM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

a+b) You have some optionality here - however LR will leave your NEFs alone and metadata is stored in LR's catalog in a separate/discrete (not discreet!) location. I also personally have LR store the metadata in sidecar XMP files that stay in the same location as your NEF files. I enjoy the redundancy.

c) I don't have your setup, so I can't say here.

d) Yes, there are a couple ways to accomplish this.

- You can futz around with the camera profiles yourself. If you find a collection of settings you like, you can save them as a profile and then have LR apply them when you import your photos or any time thereafter.
- Adobe is constantly improving camera profiles, and if you go to the forums on Adobe.com, you can try out their beta profiles (which will get pushed out when there are LR software updates). If you like them, use them. If not, wait.
- Profiles and presets are often available publicly from people who think theirs are better.

Feb 17, 2011 at 07:48 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

C) For me yes, Lightroom pulls up the RAW image faster. (Win7, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Q6700 proc, overclocked 9800GTX graphics).

D) Maybe I'm wrong but I think this is because View NX2 applies some of the recorded camera values to the RAW file by default.

Personally, when I tried LR3 for the first time after being on View NX2 I was blown away by the quality of the adjustments and the final product. I still am in fact!

brad

Feb 17, 2011 at 08:11 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

Yeah, for me, Lightroom is quite a bit faster. If you're looking for the NIkon look, try playing around with the available camera profiles. There are profiles to emulate the D2X modes as well as the default Picture Control modes (labeled as Camera Standard, Camera Vivid, etc). It won't pick up those settings from the NEF, however.

For some things I still think that Capture NX2 gives me more control, but the Lightroom interface is so much better that it's just easier for me to get the look I want with LR3. If you're wanting for more contrast take a look at the detail slider. For highlight preservation, start playing with the recovery slider.

Feb 18, 2011 at 01:10 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

Or use Capture Pro 6.1.1...... I prefer the tools and the results.

Feb 18, 2011 at 04:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

zippy_monster wrote:
There are profiles to emulate the D2X modes as well as the default Picture Control modes (labeled as Camera Standard, Camera Vivid, etc). It won't pick up those settings from the NEF, however.

Where can I find/download these profiles?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 18, 2011 at 02:26 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

The profiles are included as part of Lightroom. They appear under "Camera Calibration" panel under the "develop" module.

Feb 18, 2011 at 02:35 PM
Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

Thanks to everyone for the replies and great tips!

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

I worked on Lightroom 3.3 all day today. The things I like most about LR compared to ViewNX2 are:
1.) I like LR's ability to batch create the 1:1 previews, which are really slow on View NX2 and can't be batch processed. It's just as slow on LR but at least I don't have to sit there waiting for every image.
2.) I like the spot adjustment tool of LR. It's similar to Capture NX/Nik Tools.
3.) I like LR's ability to copy image adjustment settings from one file and apply it to other images. My old Canon DSLR software had this ability but not Nikon's ViewNX/NX2.
4.) No more crashes and memory leaks after adjusting several dozen photos.

I think the first 3 are enough reason for me to leave ViewNX2 behind for good. I still think that the default RAW image quality (noise characteristics, microcontrast, etc) of NX2 is superior to LR even when using LR's built-in DX2 and Picture Standard/etc profiles. However, the ability to copy and batch-paste settings will save me time in the long run, even if it means having to tweak the settings more often on the initial viewing.

Feb 19, 2011 at 09:47 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To ViewNX -> Lightroom users

Matthew Cham wrote:
However, the ability to copy and batch-paste settings will save me time in the long run, even if it means having to tweak the settings more often on the initial viewing.

5 words: "apply...develop...settings...during...import."

Feb 19, 2011 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password