Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              299      
       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Peire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.300 #1 · p.300 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Elmarit R 24/2.8 to replace the defective copy.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:01 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.300 #2 · p.300 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

retrofocus wrote:
Thanks for the heads up - I will keep an eye on this. The adapter I bought was $11 and is fortunately fully made of metal. So far the aperture ring works as expected. Time will tell if it holds up! Fingers crossed - I have several adapters for all kind of mounts, but so far always the only one I bought for each mount was fine and is still working after several years of usage. That's why I never saw the need to go for any of the more expensive adapters (Metabones excluded - here I had no choice
...Show more

Mine are all China-sourced cheapie as well. A couple of them only slip the controller arm and need the lens remounted to right it, but it happens often enough that they can be painful to use. At this point, I'm hanging on to the lenses because I think at least the Rodenstock 50/1.9 and 30/2.8 are good candidates for rehousing.

Dec 15, 2017 at 07:03 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.300 #3 · p.300 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Sebboh, looks like a "thin film" reaction, so it could be oil on the surface, or a coating flaw.
If an oil film, dish soap and water, then clean as normal.
If it's the coating, from what I've learned, it would need to be polished off, then recoated, there may be other options, but if it's the coating, it would have to come from the factory like that, which I can't see happening.... perhaps the coating is separating from the glass? Is that even possible?
I'd contact Zeiss and see what they say.
Doesn't SK Grimes do lens coating? I don't know if it would be up to the same quality as Zeiss.

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:05 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.300 #4 · p.300 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

As promised earlier on the previous page, here a photo taken this morning in the rising sun with the Schneider-Kreuznach 135/4 Retina-Tele-Xenar lens from the 1950s attached with adapter on my Sony A7R camera. Blown away by the image quality! The lens delivers also a beautiful depth of field blurriness. Shot at f/8 with 1/320 sec, ISO 400. No issue with the adapter so far.

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:55 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.300 #5 · p.300 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
Sebboh, looks like a "thin film" reaction, so it could be oil on the surface, or a coating flaw.
If an oil film, dish soap and water, then clean as normal.
If it's the coating, from what I've learned, it would need to be polished off, then recoated, there may be other options, but if it's the coating, it would have to come from the factory like that, which I can't see happening.... perhaps the coating is separating from the glass? Is that even possible?
I'd contact Zeiss and see what they say.
Doesn't SK Grimes do lens coating? I don't know if it
...Show more

thin film reaction was my assumption too.

it doesn't effect image quality in any way that matters to me so i'll probably just leave it be if i can't fix it by cleaning the element. can't hurt to ask zeiss about it though...

Dec 16, 2017 at 07:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password