Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              282      
       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.283 #1 · p.283 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I am getting so "fed-up" by this. The Sigma APO Macro 180/2.8 arrived today.
Excitement prevailed...after all it was described as being "A1-Perfect" optically.... (and by a German seller, who should know better.)

Sigma APO Macro 180/2.8 by Timothy Ball, on Flickr
I know, one picture would have been sufficient! Fungus (treatable), and Haze, (not treatable, as balsam separation between lens couplet)

I contacted the seller, and he now says he examined it with a backlight and found nothing! He also said the pictures he took with it were "acceptable"! (Not sure which emoticon is more appropriate.)

I'm SO disappointed (The second lens this week to arrive like this, after being described as "Perfect".)

Not sure it's worth continuing to seek out another copy, as over 60% of those selling it mention this couplet/balsam deterioration, and I suspect a high proportion of those that don't mention it, will also have it.

Mar 24, 2017 at 05:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.283 #2 · p.283 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

timballic wrote:
I am getting so "fed-up" by this...

Not sure it's worth continuing to seek out another copy, as over 60% of those selling it mention this couplet/balsam deterioration, and I suspect a high proportion of those that don't mention it, will also have it.

That's pretty nasty. Too bad.

I don't know this lens. Are you after it for any particular reason ?

Mar 24, 2017 at 06:12 PM
timballic
• • •
p.283 #3 · p.283 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Hi Jim,

I got it for a special purpose, for those "artistic", "dreamy" types of shots like this: (Not one of mine!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/cytonick/32674969104/in/faves-27297062@N02/

Arguably, the lowered contrast won't be the great issue it would be for landscapes, etc, but I want a LOT refunding before I keep it!

I can already tell, even with the problems, that this is about the sharpest lens I've handled, wide open and closed down, Close-up and distance, and that includes the Macro Planar 100/2!

In its day, (1995-'96 European Awards Lens of the Year and CAPA "Best Lens" 1995), it was something special. Described as, "The worlds first Apochromatic telephoto lens with macro capability. Since it incorporates internal focusing with double floating lens elements, and 3x SLD elements, this lens has a flat focal plane and high optical performance from infinity to 1:2 macro photography." Well the Advertising spoke well of it.

I looked around at reviews and every one said the same, "brilliant performance..if you can find a copy without haze; terrible tripod foot location; Zen finish deteriorating; all metal and glass, weighs a ton."

Made in AF for Canon, Minolta, and Nikon, though the Canon versions no longer work on anything, except wide open. There were also a few Manual Focus versions made in OM, C/Y and Nikon.
A good Nikon Ai version goes for 450, everything else below that. In my searches, I saw a new one, supposedly "clear", sold for 28 on eBay.japan in Canon EOS fitting just last week, (green as a parrot!). If I'd come across that a few days earlier I'd have snapped it up, import duties regardless!

So I thought it seemed well worth searching one out.....

Mar 24, 2017 at 07:01 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.283 #4 · p.283 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

timballic wrote:
I am getting so "fed-up" by this. The Sigma APO Macro 180/2.8 arrived today.
Excitement prevailed...after all it was described as being "A1-Perfect" optically.... (and by a German seller, who should know better.)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2934/33626309115_973c34a542_b.jpgSigma APO Macro 180/2.8 by Timothy Ball, on Flickr
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2934/33626301855_f28de8ba4a_b.jpgSigma APO Macro 180/2.8 by Timothy Ball, on Flickr
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3953/33242873050_b0b8730f4a_b.jpgSigma APO Macro 180/2.8 by Timothy Ball, on Flickr
I know, one picture would have been sufficient! Fungus (treatable), and Haze, (not treatable, as balsam separation between lens couplet)

I contacted the seller, and he now says he examined it with a backlight and found nothing! He also said the pictures he took with
...Show more

Looks like you got some free, Bokeh-buddies!

Lucky he didn't charge extra for that. :/

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jlehet
• •
p.283 #5 · p.283 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

OM 50 f2 Macro Ex quality at KEH. Because the one thing I really need is another 50mm lens.

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.283 #6 · p.283 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jlehet wrote:
OM 50 f2 Macro Ex quality at KEH. Because the one thing I really need is another 50mm lens.

Obviously, John is a normal sort of guy.

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:48 PM
timballic
• • •
p.283 #7 · p.283 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

bluloo wrote:

Looks like you got some free, Bokeh-buddies!

Lucky he didn't charge extra for that. :/

Though spoken in jest, you might actually have a valid point bluloo!

This morning I tried it out and although lower contrast than it should be, there is an appeal to that!

Even with the lens haze, it is bitingly sharp: Second shot, an enlargement from first. F/8. I've never seen those bolts on the wind-vein arrow axis before! Shot through branches of weeping willow to check front bokeh. (So far bokeh is good wherever I point it!)

Here is with very bright sky, but not sun directly into lens, and then flagged to within an inch of the frame! F/2.8
The hub cap of the mini in second frame is sharper than I've seen it, at this distance, with nearly any other lens, equaling the MP100/2, and this is wide open! I'm impressed.
F2.8 Magnified! by Timothy Ball, on Flickr

I'll post a few "dreamy" daffodils later.

From what I've seen, I don't want this lens to go back. I hope I can persuade the seller to refund for a professional internal clean of the optics. It won't cure the balsam deterioration, but it may help things, and stop the fungus.

I think that is a reasonable request.

Mar 25, 2017 at 06:42 PM
sceptic
• •
p.283 #8 · p.283 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Since I'm so pleased with my Samyang 135 f/2, I thought I'd give this guy a try:

Big boy from Korea by scepticswe, on Flickr

Sharpness across the frame at f/2 seems more than adequate for my needs:

Messy by scepticswe, on Flickr

Mar 25, 2017 at 08:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password