Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              185      
       187              267       268       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.186 #1 · p.186 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

pdmphoto wrote:
Hmmm.. could be an adapter issue, A7 reflection problem, or a copy of the lens that is no longer in spec? I have a OM 24/2 and it is on par with my excellent OM 24/2.8.

It's certainly possible there was an adapter issue (though three different adapters should've eliminated that). But it still looked worse than it did on my buddy's 5DIII.

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.186 #2 · p.186 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

freaklikeme wrote:
A tidbit of possible interest I learned in researching backs: Some older MF sensors (P25, for example) are prone to "sensor cast", the same kind of color vignetting mirrorless shooters get with RF wides.

Yes, but the MF software and general process take that into account with sensor shadings, white shadings, and whatever they all call it. Phase One has a special way to integrate those files which is I suppose where the motivation for Adobe's Flat Field Plugin came from. I have a Sinar diffuse white filter from my MF days, which I still use sometimes. Just today it came in handy for producing a shading file for my Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar on the A7.

Sep 13, 2014 at 09:05 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.186 #3 · p.186 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
Yes, but the MF software and general process take that into account with sensor shadings, white shadings, and whatever they all call it. Phase One has a special way to integrate those files which is I suppose where the motivation for Adobe's Flat Field Plugin came from. I have a Sinar diffuse white filter from my MF days, which I still use sometimes. Just today it came in handy for producing a shading file for my Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar on the A7.

Interesting. Thanks, Carsten. What did you shoot when you shot MF?

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:48 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.186 #4 · p.186 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Contax 645 AF and Sinar 54LV. Great camera, I miss it. I used mainly the 120/4 Makro and the 35/3.5, the MF version of the famous 21 Distagon, although I also had the 80/2 and an adapted Hasselblad 110/2.

Unfortunately the electronic connection between the camera and back was not that reliable, resulting in underexposed shots, and I sold it again. I would love to have a P25+ or P45+ on that camera, it is meant to work better.

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:59 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.186 #5 · p.186 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I bought a C/Y Zeiss Distagon 18mm f4 from Japan, but it's been stuck in Customs for a week now... not a good sign.

Sep 14, 2014 at 02:26 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.186 #6 · p.186 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Wow, bummer deal.
I have never had a problem on international stuff if shipped via EMS to my PO Box.
Only time I had brokerage/customs fees were from Canada, if shipped via UPS or FedEx, both WILL charge you EVERYTIME!

molson wrote:
I bought a C/Y Zeiss Distagon 18mm f4 from Japan, but it's been stuck in Customs for a week now... not a good sign.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:01 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.186 #7 · p.186 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

buggz2k wrote:
Wow, bummer deal.
I have never had a problem on international stuff if shipped via EMS to my PO Box.
Only time I had brokerage/customs fees were from Canada, if shipped via UPS or FedEx, both WILL charge you EVERYTIME!

This was EMS post from Japan - theses parcels normally arrive within a week of mailing, but for some reason this one got pulled aside.

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:17 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.186 #8 · p.186 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
Contax 645 AF and Sinar 54LV. Great camera, I miss it. I used mainly the 120/4 Makro and the 35/3.5, the MF version of the famous 21 Distagon, although I also had the 80/2 and an adapted Hasselblad 110/2.

Unfortunately the electronic connection between the camera and back was not that reliable, resulting in underexposed shots, and I sold it again. I would love to have a P25+ or P45+ on that camera, it is meant to work better.

The Contax 645 was on my list of possibilities, mostly for the opportunity to use that gorgeous macro, but the bellows won out in the end.

I've read very good things about the P45+ and it will likely come down to either that or the Aptus 75s for me. 36x48 seems like a good size for the sensor. Either will be higher resolution than I need, and there's a part of me that wants to go cheap and just get a ZD (the camera, not the back) after reading some positive user reviews on Pebble Place and Luminous Landscape, but it also might be nice to have a usable ISO 400 available.

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:21 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.186 #9 · p.186 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

If you don't need the resolution, the P25+ is also meant to be very good.

Sep 15, 2014 at 06:34 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.186 #10 · p.186 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

That is a possibility. I thought the P25+ had the same size sensor as the P30+, but it is nearly the same size as the P45+. I can also throw the Aptus II 22MP into the mix. Thanks again, Carsten.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bubble
• • • •
p.186 #11 · p.186 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

mitakon dark knight 50mm f/0.95 arrived today. The lens is heavy. Solid build.

Sep 16, 2014 at 04:29 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.186 #12 · p.186 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Industar 22 and a Canon LTM 50/1.2 & X-Fujinon MACRO 55/3.5

Sep 16, 2014 at 08:29 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.186 #13 · p.186 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Picked up a C/Y Zeiss Distagon 25mm f2.8 MMJ the other day, and now it looks like my 18mm f4 Distagon was finally released from Customs after 14 days...

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:39 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.186 #14 · p.186 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bubble wrote:
mitakon dark knight 50mm f/0.95 arrived today. The lens is heavy. Solid build.

http://vnpixel.com/alex/dk.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some photos taken with that ...

Just received a 200mm/2.8 APO Mamiya + 2x adapter
Just ordered a 90mm/2.8 72B Adaptall 2

Sep 19, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Peire
• • • •
p.186 #15 · p.186 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Contax G1+Biogon 28/2.8+ Planar 45/2+Sonnar 90/2.8+TLA flash - replcement set.

The 90/2.8 and 45/2 are very good on both NEXes and A7/R.The 28/2.8 Biogon will stay with NEXes only.Too bad it's a poor FF ILCE performer.

Sep 21, 2014 at 09:29 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.186 #16 · p.186 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Well, it turns out my Zeiss C/Y 18mm f4 Distagon wasn't worth the wait - it's in pretty rough shape (not "EX++" as claimed, and there are sizeable amounts of coating removed from the rear element... and they guy now says he doesn't accept returns. Grrr....

Sep 24, 2014 at 03:28 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.186 #17 · p.186 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

molson wrote:
Well, it turns out my Zeiss C/Y 18mm f4 Distagon wasn't worth the wait - it's in pretty rough shape (not "EX++" as claimed, and there are sizeable amounts of coating removed from the rear element... and they guy now says he doesn't accept returns. Grrr....

Sorry to hear that. Was this an ebay purchase and payment through Paypal? If so, you should contact either/both and complain that the item was not as described. You should be able to get your money back. Also, if it is such a purchase, I would complain about the seller to ebay and Paypal and quite probably leave negative feedback.

Rich

Sep 24, 2014 at 03:42 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.186 #18 · p.186 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

naturephoto1 wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Was this an ebay purchase and payment through Paypal? If so, you should contact either/both and complain that the item was not as described. You should be able to get your money back. Also, if it is such a purchase, I would complain about the seller to ebay and Paypal and quite probably leave negative feedback.

Rich

Yes, it was eBay and PayPal, but as I've learned from personal experience, you don't get anything from PayPal in a case like this unless the seller cooperates, and the cost to return the item from Canada to the seller in Japan is quite steep (and not refundable). I may be better off just re-selling it "as is" and saving a lot of hassle.

Sep 24, 2014 at 04:36 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.186 #19 · p.186 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

molson wrote:
Yes, it was eBay and PayPal, but as I've learned from personal experience, you don't get anything from PayPal in a case like this unless the seller cooperates, and the cost to return the item from Canada to the seller in Japan is quite steep (and not refundable). I may be better off just re-selling it "as is" and saving a lot of hassle.

Is this the listing?:

http://tinyurl.com/nvtfns5

According to the seller:

Returns are accepted ONLY if the item was not the item described.

The item is not as described. I would definitely contact ebay and or Paypal. They should at least be made aware of the seller not living up to his description and his return policy which you say has not been met. Also, I would ask ebay and Paypal about leaving negative feedback for the seller and to try to use this as leverage to get the shipping and sale price returned.

Rich

Sep 24, 2014 at 04:50 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.186 #20 · p.186 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

naturephoto1 wrote:
Is this the listing?:

http://tinyurl.com/nvtfns5

According to the seller:

Returns are accepted ONLY if the item was not the item described.

The item is not as described. I would definitely contact ebay and or Paypal. They should at least be made aware of the seller not living up to his description and his return policy which you say has not been met. Also, I would ask ebay and Paypal about leaving negative feedback for the seller and to try to use this as leverage to get the shipping and sale price returned.

Rich

Hmm, I can clearly see the marks on the rear-element on one of the pictures. But it doesn't match the description.

Sep 24, 2014 at 05:44 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password