Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              176      
       178              181       182       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

joanlvh wrote:
Molson, you could throw the Voigt 28mm 2.8 into the mix, like to know how you think it compares!
We have been in Alberta for the last 8 days, first time, your province is beautiful

Are you enjoying our annual monsoon rains?

Sorry, I don't have any of the Voigtlander lenses to test - but I am happy to accept donations...

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.177 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

astrodave wrote:
I removed the rear assembly last night and put a very thin coat of silicone grease on the barrel...that has removed the slop...there's still a small amount of play as I think the notches for the barrel lock have worn a bit...but problem solved I think!

For my astrophotography, I use an Orion Atlas German Equatorial Mount (GEM) with a guide scope. Here it is with one of my other alt-lens purchases..a very nice Pentax 6x7 150 f/2.8 connected to my QHY9 camera.

I'm glad it worked out for you. And that rig is some very cool stuff.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Pavel
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

The Fuji 56 f1.2 ... but darn it ... waiting for it to get to the shop is really, really a test of patience - which I don't have!

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:51 AM
Pavel
• • • •
p.177 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

And I picked up the Fuji 23 f 1.4 on Monday. A remarkable lens.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:52 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.177 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I picked up another Sony/Zeiss Vario-Tessar FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS zoom, and third time's the charm - this one seems quite sharp throughout the zoom range.

Jun 20, 2014 at 02:27 AM
atwl77
• •
p.177 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

molson wrote:
I picked up another Sony/Zeiss Vario-Tessar FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS zoom, and third time's the charm - this one seems quite sharp throughout the zoom range.

That's interesting news... how well does yours perform at the corners of 24mm stopped down to f/8 or f/11, compared to other reviews like Photozone or Phillip Reeve's review ?

Jun 20, 2014 at 03:57 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.177 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

atwl77 wrote:
That's interesting news... how well does yours perform at the corners of 24mm stopped down to f/8 or f/11, compared to other reviews like Photozone or Phillip Reeve's review ?

It performs much better in the corners at 24mm than the first two copies I tried; still not up to the pro standards of a Canon or Nikon zoom, but definitely usable for walk-around shots - it's just too bad you have to disable the OSS when you use it on an A7R.

Jun 20, 2014 at 02:58 PM
spada
• •
p.177 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I bought a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 last Friday, from a local camera shop for like half of what they usually go for. I don't think the front element has ever been touched. The UV filter was probably on there since the 70's. Had to use my shoe to get it to come off.

Other recent purchases are a Minolta Celtic 135mm f/3.5 and a Minolta Rokkor-PF 135mm f/2.8. Both of these lenses are SHAAAARP from wide open, but the Celtic has a lot of vignetting that goes away once stopped down.

Jun 20, 2014 at 03:52 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.177 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

The VME seems to be well made, the only issue I can see at the moment is that lenses may focus a touch past infinity when it's locked.

Jun 20, 2014 at 09:38 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.177 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Just got a brand new old stock Hasselblad X-Pan, looking forward to shooting a few rolls this weekend

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arstein
• •
p.177 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

An old acquaintance.

Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 PC

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.177 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
The VME seems to be well made, the only issue I can see at the moment is that lenses may focus a touch past infinity when it's locked.

I don't recall being able to focus to infinity when the VME is extended and locked. I believe you loose infinity focusing ability. I've only tried the VME with the CV 50 nokton 1.5 ASPH and a 90mm cron-M pre ASPH.

Otherwise, like you said, the adapter is very well made.

Edit: Oops! I misread your post as the VME was focusing past infinity when extended and locked for close focus. I will have to try mine out again. I rarely shoot at infinity, so this experiment will be fun!

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Bubble
• • •
p.177 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Picked up the Sony 70-200mm f/4 FE yesterday.

Jun 22, 2014 at 05:00 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.177 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I don't recall being able to focus to infinity when the VME is extended and locked. I believe you loose infinity focusing ability. I've only tried the VME with the CV 50 nokton 1.5 ASPH and a 90mm cron-M pre ASPH.

Otherwise, like you said, the adapter is very well made.

Edit: Oops! I misread your post as the VME was focusing past infinity when extended and locked for close focus. I will have to try mine out again. I rarely shoot at infinity, so this experiment will be fun!

Haha, yeah, it feels like the lenses lose a slight touch of sharpness when both are at infinity, with mainly wides.

Jun 22, 2014 at 05:38 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.177 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jcolwell wrote:

How do you like the SMC M 20?
I really miss my 1DIII, it felt at home in my hand, I sure don't miss the size and weight.

Jun 22, 2014 at 06:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.177 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Hi James,

The SMCP-M 20/4 is very nice. It's sharper in Zones A and B than my (best-of-three) Oly 21/3.5, while it lags behind the Oly at the edges and corners. It's actually slightly smaller and lighter than the Oly.

Just before going on a trip two weeks ago, I shot a head-to-head comparison of the SMCP-M 20/4, Oly 21/3.5, Canon 16-35/L II, and Fuji XR 14/2.8 (first three on 6D, last on X-E2), which I will post here in a few days. Basically, the SMCP-M and Oly are both spanked by the newer lenses.

Jun 22, 2014 at 01:23 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.177 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Finally picked up some Nikon PK for my Novoflex bellows w/105mm

Would a Tachihara 4x5 w/Nikkor 210mm couny as an alt lens purchase?

Spent all morning developing 4x5 negatives using the Taco method in a Paterson tank. Worked perfectly. Got to slow down and be more thoughtful about the 4x5 process. No light leaks.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.177 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

fstopperdown wrote:
...Would a Tachihara 4x5 w/Nikkor 210mm couny as an alt lens purchase? ...

Yes, definitely.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:55 AM
atwl77
• •
p.177 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Got a Voigtlander VM-E II adapter this weekend for my A7R. Sadly most of my RF lenses all fall into the corner-smearing group, so it looks like I'll be using the adapter a lot less often than I'd like to.

Works well with the CV 15/4.5, but I'm lazy to fix the colour cast. 50 Lux Asph and CV 50/1.5 Nokton are ok... but don't perform as well as natively on the M240. CV 75/1.8 Heliar is probably the best-performing lens I have in this scenario, so it'll be my portrait lens on the A7R.

Jun 23, 2014 at 02:35 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.177 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

The latest Hawk's Factory helicoid has an adjustable infinity lock so you can set a hard stop infinity for any adapted lens. It's also well baffled and doesn't cause vignetting on 135 and longer lenses. Unfortunately, I had to send mine back (it had a little up and down play on the camera mount side with both my a7 and a friend's 7 and 7r). I'm going to wait a few months for a new production run and give it another shot then.

In the meantime, I found a Summicron-M 50 v5 at a price I couldn't pass up. It's the only Leica M lens I own that was manufactured in this century (this decade, even). I've had a couple of v3's that were good, but I wanted the updated optics from the 1977 redesign but didn't want the focusing tab of the v4. The built-in hood of the v5 is just gravy.

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password