Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              167      
       169              187       188       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.168 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Peire wrote:
This is what I'm looking for.There are fairly many Canon EF versions,whereas other mounts at reasonable prices are almost not seen in the EU.

I got the Canon mount which actually took me quite awhile to find. There seems to be a lot more Nikon mounts on this side of the Atlantic.

Apr 05, 2014 at 09:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.168 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

SMC Pentax-M 20/4.

I'll test it head-to-head with my Oly 21/3.5, and post the results on the Alt forum, of course. The -M is actually a bit lighter (0.15 kg vs. 0.18 kg) and a bit shorter (30mm vs. 31mm) than the Oly, but the -M a bit wider (63mm vs. 58mm).

Apr 05, 2014 at 09:59 PM
tjack
• •
p.168 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

This is a Ultra Wide Angle by Vivitar - 13mm 2.8 in Sony A mount.

http://www.vivitar.com/products/105/lenses-and-accessories/858/13mm-p

Similar to the Samyang 14mm but not exactly the same.

Angle of view: 115.7
Group/Elements: 10/14
Weight: 18.83 oz

I like it on the Sony A7 with the LA-EA4 adapter. I had tried a few other UW angles and I had problems with live view not being correct as what you see on the screen & then snap picture it would be way blown out. This set-up is giving me correct exposure and a very sharp lens wide open and even more stepped down some. I'm also happy with the construction and appearance of lens, comes in orange marking and a sony A logo, with a snap on lens hood and a carrying bag.

Vivitar 13mm Sony A mount by xposhore, on Flickr

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:30 PM
MIRANDA1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.168 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Zeiss APO 135 ZE Puts a smile on my face every time I use it '

Apr 06, 2014 at 12:36 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.168 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

A Zeiss CY 3.4 35-70 mm has founds its way into may bag.
Looking forward to use it.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:24 AM
jourprof

p.168 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I bit the bullet and added the Fuji 10-24/4. Looking forward to shooting with it.

Apr 08, 2014 at 05:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.168 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I'm looking at one of those too! You and I are always looking at the same lenses, but you beat me to them. Same with the A7 too! It's like looking into the future.

Which 60 2.8, C or S?

In case you're not perusing the Zeiss thread, it came...

...and we love it. Here's one at 1:1 and f/22, which is perfectly usable at this distance, but it's at its best at f/8. There's just not much DoF at 1:1 and f/8.

-YFS

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:03 AM
Peire
• • •
p.168 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

freaklikeme wrote:
In case you're not perusing the Zeiss thread, it came...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/13728666483_62cd6be882_o.jpg

...and we love it. Here's one at 1:1 and f/22, which is perfectly usable at this distance, but it's at its best at f/8. There's just not much DoF at 1:1 and f/8.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/13728633665_1dcf26c9f9_o.jpg

-YFS

The more I look at your 100/2.8 MP C/Y,the more I think that my 100/2MP ZE is not enough.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:49 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.168 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Just ordered the ZF.2 Otus 55!!! My credit card is on fire! :^)
As a rental she dazzled me back in Dec. but I had to wait till for B&H to have it in stock again.

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:23 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.168 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Peire wrote:
The more I look at your 100/2.8 MP C/Y,the more I think that my 100/2MP ZE is not enough.

If it makes you feel any better, Peire, that's the 60mm. I don't have the 100... yet.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.168 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

wayne seltzer wrote:
Just ordered the ZF.2 Otus 55!!! My credit card is on fire! :^)
As a rental she dazzled me back in Dec. but I had to wait till for B&H to have it in stock again.

Right on, Wayne! Can't wait to see your shots from it.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.168 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Does anyone here have experience at 1:2 and greater magnification with both the Contax S-Planar 60mm and Makro-Planar 100mm?

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:53 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.168 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
Does anyone here have experience at 1:2 and greater magnification with both the Contax S-Planar 60mm and Makro-Planar 100mm?

A limited amount on a DsII. The 100 was my first macro lens but I sold it, having only had it for four months, after I picked up the Leica R APO 100. The performance is actually more similar to the Leica lens as far as sharpness and resolution across the frame (great wide open, jaw-dropping at f/8) than it is in comparison to the SP 60, which is plenty center sharp at all apertures, but loses quite a bit at the edges wide-open to 5.6. The SP and MP do share a slight pin distortion and their CA characteristics in common.

The MP gives you more working distance than either the SP or Leica (with the screw in 1:1.2 adapter); 160mm versus 70mm-ish versus 5mm (okay, an exaggeration, but that's how it feels with the Leica +Elpro). I kept the Leica for the APO and because it's a more versatile landscape/pano lens when it comes to direct light sources. The MP is a truly killer macro lens that's also a great (if bulky) landscape lens.

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:54 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.168 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:58 PM
briantho
• • •
p.168 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

freaklikeme wrote:
A limited amount on a DsII. The 100 was my first macro lens but I sold it, having only had it for four months, after I picked up the Leica R APO 100. The performance is actually more similar to the Leica lens as far as sharpness and resolution across the frame (great wide open, jaw-dropping at f/8) than it is in comparison to the SP 60, which is plenty center sharp at all apertures, but loses quite a bit at the edges wide-open to 5.6. The SP and MP do share a slight pin distortion and their CA characteristics
...Show more

I'm sure the 100MP is every bit as good as freak is describing, but if I recall correctly carsten, you sold the real killer macro lens, the C645 Zeiss 120/4 APO... Or did you keep it after all? With the new Contax N to A7/R adapter, which now has AF/aperture compability with the NAM-1 for all C645 lenses, I'm glad I've kept mine together with the 80/2 and 140/2.8.

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.168 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

briantho wrote:
I'm sure the 100MP is every bit as good as freak is describing, but if I recall correctly carsten, you sold the real killer macro lens, the C645 Zeiss 120/4 APO... Or did you keep it after all? With the new Contax N to A7/R adapter, which now has AF/aperture compability with the NAM-1 for all C645 lenses, I'm glad I've kept mine together with the 80/2 and 140/2.8.

Your images with that lens always stood out in my eyes, looking forward for more :-).

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.168 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Wasn't it you who bought mine, Brian? I can't quite recall now. Yeah, brilliant lens, I still toy with the idea of picking one up again, but in fact I want a lens for 2:1 or 3:1, which I would like to play with. I do have those brilliant Contax (SLR) bellows still, which is why I was thinking of a Contax lens.

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:22 PM
briantho
• • •
p.168 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I didn't buy the lens from you, but I did buy your C645 camera. Ah yes the bellows... you'll need the 100MP then. Something I've always wanted to try is the Zeiss Luminar 63mm/f4.5 on the Contax bellows. I've heard it's awsome. You could look that up instead of a MP.

Thanks Phillip, I'll be using the lens in the coming weeks on my A7R, just need some sunshine over here first.

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.168 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Ah yes, I recall now, I sold it on eBay to a girl. I wonder what work she did with it.

I miss that Contax 645 AF and the 100 Makro. I still have the 35mm. I can't get myself to sell it. I still have some backs and accessories. Great system, only the dark matte screen let it down a bit. I always wanted to get a Maxwell-made screen, but at some point I thought that if I went to all the trouble of shooting, developing and scanning 120 film, then why not go to 6x6 and 6x7 and get so much more area...

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:39 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.168 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

My Minolta XD11 arrived. It was supposedly from storage so hadn't been used. Was absolutely filthy, no lens cap and unfortunately had batteries still installed which had corroded. Tried some fresh batteries but it wouldn't fire...

Spent the last hour cleaning it it all up inside and out, tightened all the screws as well as the film speed dial which was very loose. Cleaned the viewfinder and focusing screen, scratched off the corroded lumps from the battery compartment cap and now I have an near mint, working XD11, not to mention a very cheap one. Will have to get some photos of it before I replace the light seals and give it a test roll. Looks beautiful and makes my X700 feel like a plastic mess. That one will be up on ebay asap, looking forward to shooting with the XD11, its a great all metal camera. Just a shame the seller didn't know what he was selling, and could have at least taken the strap off before shipping it so that the it didn't leave a few fresh scratches on one side...

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password