Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              157      
       159              205       206       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

briantho
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.158 #1 · p.158 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

If you buy 30 001 adapters you get a pretty nice discount per item...

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:46 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.158 #2 · p.158 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

briantho wrote:
If you buy 30 001 adapters you get a pretty nice discount per item...

I guess that would be sufficient to adapt every lens that was ever produced for this system

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.158 #3 · p.158 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

My 2014 resolution to clamp down on lens purchases went to hell in only a few weeks

I have a 12mm Voigtlander Heliar in Nikon F-mount and use it in a Nikon-Nex shift adapter on my 5N/6 bodies. This week I found a copy of the 15mm.
http://cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm

Looking forward to using them both with the new Nex 7 if it's announced in Feb as expected, and if it works well with wide RF lenses. Still expecting some really heavy colour shifting but hope it will stay sharp in the corners as the 16MP sensor does.

12mm example

Mike

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM
briantho
• • •
p.158 #4 · p.158 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I finally bought my dream lens, a lens that's been no.1 on my short list for a very very long time...

Sony Zeiss ZA Sonnar 135mm f1.8 on Sony A7R by briantho, on Flickr

Preliminary tests confirms this one is special.

Jan 23, 2014 at 05:48 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.158 #5 · p.158 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I look forward to seeing some shots with it Brian.

mcbroomf wrote:
My 2014 resolution to clamp down on lens purchases went to hell in only a few weeks

I have a 12mm Voigtlander Heliar in Nikon F-mount and use it in a Nikon-Nex shift adapter on my 5N/6 bodies.

F mount? I thought it was only LTM & M-mount.

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:00 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.158 #6 · p.158 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Wow Brian! I would also love that lens. Eagerly awaiting pics….

Jan 24, 2014 at 04:33 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.158 #7 · p.158 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Just bought a black Topcor RE 28/2.8
So now I'll be able to compare my other version to see how it should be, I hope it's as awesome as my 58's.

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:46 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.158 #8 · p.158 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
I look forward to seeing some shots with it Brian.

F mount? I thought it was only LTM & M-mount.

Nope, check out the link

Jan 24, 2014 at 09:57 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.158 #9 · p.158 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Oh yeah, I remember seeing them now, MLU only.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Peire
• • •
p.158 #10 · p.158 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

RF X-Rokkor 500/8 Mirror+MD W.Rokkor 24/2.8 (briantho-this is the third copy,but not exactly the same built quality as the MC W.Rokkor SI 24/2.8 and MC W.Rokkor 24/2.8 that I got already.

Rolleinar 21/4 is an awesome lens.Pretty sharp across the frame on the A7,even wo,low level of CA and distortion,excellent built quality and small size for uwa lens,just like Distagon 28/2.8 or 35/2.8 C/Y.

Jan 26, 2014 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrendanSeabroo

p.158 #11 · p.158 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

It may attract some scorn however...

The blue tape is because of the sorry state of QA. The watershed aperture plates have two problems. Some are too thin and fall out, while others are too thick and paint chips get scraped off INSIDE the lens. Until they fix it i'm just going to use it wide open.

Jan 26, 2014 at 08:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.158 #12 · p.158 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

BrendanSeabroo wrote:
It may attract some scorn however...

I think it looks cool.

P.S. you should upgrade to Lee Valley gaffer's tape.

Jan 26, 2014 at 09:29 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.158 #13 · p.158 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I picked up a couple of very inexpensive Zuiko lenses - a 28mm f3.5 and a 75-150mm f4 zoom. I remember these as being very mediocre lenses back in the days of film, so I'm curious to see if they really are as good with digital capture as people are claiming.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:14 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.158 #14 · p.158 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I received my Konica-NEX adapter for my unfortunate fungus-ridden purchases, and tried out the Sigma 28mm f/2.8 Mini-Wide, which appears fungus-free, apart from some haze in the back of the front element.

It appears to work quite nicely, actually - the first one is at f/8 and the second one wide open.

Shining by JaakkoHeikkila, on Flickr

Kärrykärra by JaakkoHeikkila, on Flickr

Jaakko

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:21 AM
sceptic

p.158 #15 · p.158 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Nice pics from the sigma 28. I´m sorry to hear about your fungus-stricken 40/1.8 and 135/3.5. The 135 has all the front elements (the ones in front of the aperture blades) glued together, so if the fungus is between those elements, you´re out of luck. The lens is dead simple to take apart, so if the fungus is on one of the accessible lens surfaces, it should be no problem to have it cleaned.

The 40/1.8 is also easy to take apart and clean, but if I recall correctly it also has glued-together lens elements (it´s been a while since I took mine apart, and I have since then sold it to Makten on this forum, as a matter of fact).

Regarding the 135/3.5: I have four copies of that lens (don´t ask) and most of them are just collecting dust. One of them has the name and social security number of the former owner engraved on the barrel, so I probably can´t sell it for anything more than a symbolic amount. If you´re interested, you can have it for free (as long as you pay for the shipping). Other than the engravings, it´s in great shape (only minor dust between the elements, no fungus).

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:34 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.158 #16 · p.158 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Sceptic, thanks a lot for the information and your generous offer -- I will spare you from the trouble, but it is much appreciated nevertheless.

The Konica lenses were actually a bonus, as I was mostly interested in the Sigma, but I might take the Konicas apart at some point for the sake of experimentation.

Jaakko

Jan 28, 2014 at 09:48 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.158 #17 · p.158 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I say never look a gift- lens in the mouth, so to speak!

I applaud Sceptic for a wonderfully generous offer, in the spirit of a friendly forum such as FM

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM
sceptic

p.158 #18 · p.158 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I have also had to deal with dishonest/ignorant sellers and know first hand the joy of buying a lens changing to anger once the thing arrives... I´ve learned that an item described as "not tested" can just as well mean "I can´t be bothered to remove the caps and take a look" or, more probably, "I know it´s garbage, but claim ignorance". The offer still stands, by the way.

Taking the front elements out of the 135 only requires a small flathead screwdriver. Set the focusing distance to its shortest setting and slide the lens shade out, revealing three grub screws positioned 120 degrees apart around the front section of the barrel. Unscrew these, grab the front barrel (the part in front of the focusing ring) and unscrew it, counter-clockwise. The lens elements are then simply unscrewed from the barrel, giving access to the back of the rearmost element in that group.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.158 #19 · p.158 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Sceptic, much appreciated.

Your description of the less-successful lens-buying experience is spot on. Luckily the Sigma is definitely usable from my viewpoint, so I'll take the fungal Konicas as a valuable lesson and reminder of what can happen (although I am reminded of it every time I shoot the Sigma with its characteristic pungent smell of mold... I hope it wears off eventually).

I will surely post my findings when I find time to tackle the Konicas.

Jaakko

Jan 28, 2014 at 02:15 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.158 #20 · p.158 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sceptic wrote:
I have also had to deal with dishonest/ignorant sellers and know first hand the joy of buying a lens changing to anger once the thing arrives... I´ve learned that an item described as "not tested" can just as well mean "I can´t be bothered to remove the caps and take a look" or, more probably, "I know it´s garbage, but claim ignorance".

I've learned this the hard way, too... the nice thing about dealing with people on this forum is, most people care about their reputation here.

Jan 28, 2014 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password