Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              150      
151
       152              183       184       end
  

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
  
 
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


jcolwell wrote:
Oly 18/3.5 - thanks to Mike M. Kraus. It's a peach.

Comparison tests with TS-E 17/4L, ZE 18/3.5, and EF 16-35/2.8L II, to follow.


I'm looking forward to your results Jim. I have considered picking up this lens or perhaps the Tamron 17mm f/3.5 SP. Not sure which is a better performer on FF though...



Dec 23, 2013 at 03:00 AM
nalax
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Fuji 60mm XF. A nice sharp little lens!


Dec 23, 2013 at 04:47 AM
ebookman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Sigma 21-35 mm F/3.5-4.4 Canon FD mount. Close focusing and very little distortion at 21 mm. Minor purple fringing and minor vignetting at 21 mm both quickly fixed in LR5. Very sharp edge to edge in early tests.The sharpness is what drew me to the lens and the low cost.


Dec 23, 2013 at 05:31 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Gary Clennan wrote:
I'm looking forward to your results Jim. I have considered picking up this lens or perhaps the Tamron 17mm f/3.5 SP. Not sure which is a better performer on FF though...


Hi Gary,

The Oly 18mm is definitely a significant step ahead of the Tamron SP 17/3.5 and Tokina 17/3.5 (both varieties, for both brands). OTOH, if you check Lens$db, you'll find that the Oly 18mm costs more than three times the Tamron SP 17mm.

So far, the Oly 18mm is almost on par with the Zeiss 18 ZE and TS-E 17/4L. Without doubt, the Oly 18mm is significantly better compared to its best competitors at 17mm/18mm (e.g. TS-E 17/4L and Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE), than are the Oly 21/3.5 and 24/2.8, in comparison with their best competitors (e.g. Zeiss 21 ZE and TS-E 24/3.5L II).

These preliminary results with the Oly 18mm is a pleasant surprise for me, although it complicates my plans for "down sizing".



Dec 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Peire
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Metabones EF-E adapter MkIII has just arrived.It costed whooping 450 Euro (shipment&customs included) and delivery took 8 days,but now my ZE Zeisses work like a dream on my A7s.

21/2.8,28/2 and 100/2 don't feel too big and are quite well balanced with the A7.50/1.4 is small anyway.



Dec 23, 2013 at 02:26 PM
JohnJ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


jcolwell wrote:
Hi Gary,

The Oly 18mm is definitely a significant step ahead of the Tamron SP 17/3.5 and Tokina 17/3.5 (both varieties, for both brands). OTOH, if you check Lens$db, you'll find that the Oly 18mm costs more than three times the Tamron SP 17mm.

So far, the Oly 18mm is almost on par with the Zeiss 18 ZE and TS-E 17/4L. Without doubt, the Oly 18mm is significantly better compared to its best competitors at 17mm/18mm (e.g. TS-E 17/4L and Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE), than are the Oly 21/3.5 and 24/2.8, in comparison with their best competitors (e.g. Zeiss 21 ZE and
...Show more

As much as I like the Zuikos that I have, I've often found their vignetting to be worse than competitors possibly due to their small physical size. How does vignetting compare to the other lenses you mentioned?



Dec 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
briantho
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Finally found a copy. Now I can post in that exclusive thread








Dec 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Peire
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


That looks gooood!


Dec 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
mcbroomf
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Jim you have it wrong ... you buy more cameras to match the lenses ... and then more bags or shelving

Mike



Dec 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Peire
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


The men that I like,but meet much too often over the last 2 years,had come to me two days ago and handed out a heavy plastic bag saying:"Have a look at them over Christmas".And I did so.

The bag is slimmer now,but my hoard grew by three more alt lenses:Canon FDn 100/4 macro (the first one I got),and another copies of Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC and Oly OM Zuiko 100/2.8.They looked so nice that I felt compelled to find them a new home.My home.



Dec 25, 2013 at 01:09 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


I picked up three more Zuikos... 50mm f3.5, 85mm f2, and 35-105mm f3.5-4.5.

However, I'm disappointed enough with the new Sony cameras that I'm re-thinking the whole "alt" thing... I have no desire to start shooting film again, and the only cameras I actually like using these lenses on are my Fuji X-E1's, and the cropped sensor doesn't really do these lenses justice.



Dec 25, 2013 at 03:01 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


jcolwell wrote:
Oly 18/3.5 - thanks to Mike M. Kraus. It's a peach.

Comparison tests with TS-E 17/4L, ZE 18/3.5, and EF 16-35/2.8L II, to follow.


It would be interesting to compare your results to the tests from 16-9.net a few years back, where the Zuiko didn't fare all that well compared to the Canon 16-35L.



Dec 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


briantho wrote:
Finally found a copy. Now I can post in that exclusive thread

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/0/2/2/7/0/webimg/725868442_o.jpg


What a stunner! I am jealous. One day...



Dec 25, 2013 at 03:16 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


jcolwell wrote:
Oly 18/3.5 - thanks to Mike M. Kraus. It's a peach.

Comparison tests with TS-E 17/4L, ZE 18/3.5, and EF 16-35/2.8L II, to follow.

molson wrote:
It would be interesting to compare your results to the tests from 16-9.net a few years back, where the Zuiko didn't fare all that well compared to the Canon 16-35L.


Mark must have had a duff Oly.



Dec 25, 2013 at 04:23 PM
briantho
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


carstenw wrote:
What a stunner! I am jealous. One day...


But you have the ZF version don't you?



Dec 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Tarocco
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


molson wrote:
I picked up three more Zuikos... 50mm f3.5, 85mm f2, and 35-105mm f3.5-4.5.

However, I'm disappointed enough with the new Sony cameras that I'm re-thinking the whole "alt" thing... I have no desire to start shooting film again, and the only cameras I actually like using these lenses on are my Fuji X-E1's, and the cropped sensor doesn't really do these lenses justice.


Metabones should be releasing OM mount speed boosters soon - could tide you over until Fuji goes full frame.



Dec 26, 2013 at 07:36 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


briantho wrote:
But you have the ZF version don't you?


Yes, great lens, but... not the same. The Contax 35/1.4 and 100/2 are both different enough that I would love to try them. In general I prefer to have a matched set of lenses, but one day, I will buy those two.



Dec 26, 2013 at 08:24 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


JohnJ wrote:
As much as I like the Zuikos that I have, I've often found their vignetting to be worse than competitors possibly due to their small physical size. How does vignetting compare to the other lenses you mentioned?


Hi JJ,

Regarding vignetting, here's a composite of (from the top, down); EF 16-35/2.7 L II, Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE, and Oly 18/3.5. All at f/5.6, and so you can certainly see the relatively heavy vignetting of the Oly.

The combination of my schedule and the weather is really not cooperating around here, and so it's taking a long time to get this comparison series done... )







Edited on Dec 26, 2013 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions



Dec 26, 2013 at 09:09 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


Tarocco wrote:
Metabones should be releasing OM mount speed boosters soon - could tide you over until Fuji goes full frame.



I keep hoping that will happen... but I guess the adapters for the really popular mounts, like Alpa and Contarex, are a higher priority for them.



Dec 26, 2013 at 09:13 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?


I'm hoping to see Metabones Speed Booster and Smart Adapter for EOS to Fujifilm X-mount.


Dec 26, 2013 at 09:32 PM
1       2       3              150      
151
       152              183       184       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              150      
151
       152              183       184       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password