Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              124      
       126              279       280       end

Archive 2017 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

ebookman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.125 #1 · p.125 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

My latest lens is a Leica Elmar 50mm f/2.8 for use on my Nex 5n with Fotodiox focusing adapter

One of the first images taken with lens - as close as it will focus - no crop

May 16, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.125 #2 · p.125 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

briantho wrote:
Congrats on a fine lens. Do you mind clarifying in which way you think it's better than FD85? Is it the bokeh, sharpness, less CA or what? You sure it's not just that "new lens"-greatness feeling that makes it "better"?

It has noticeably more contrast wide open and is a bit sharper as well which makes it much easier to focus for one thing. With the Pentax, focus "snaps" in and out. This was also an issue with the Samyang/ Rokinon 85 1.4. Poor wide open contrast making it somewhat difficult to focus.

The other quality which I find this Pentax A* really exceptional at is in color rendering. Part of it is obviously subjective but this lens has almost a Leica like rendering with color - not flat like Canon. All that said, I don't have both lenses to do side by side comparisons as I no longer own the Canon.

I do want to stress though, this is certainly not a "perfect" lens (as if one existed!). As I mentioned earlier, there is purple fringing, CA and other aberrations (mostly correctable as far as I have seen thus far) in higher contrast lighting situations until stopped down a bit - maybe 2.8 or so. But...I just love this rendering, even on boring test shots. Here is an out of camera jpeg shot wide open at 1.4 (I shoot jpeg+raw quite often) only re-sized and converted to sRGB for web. No color, contrast or WB enhancement beyond camera jpeg settings.
http://www.gibranstudio.com/pen8514a.jpg

May 16, 2013 at 08:47 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.125 #3 · p.125 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I was really lucky as I snagged it within minutes of it popping up on the auction site. Just over $1200 after currency conversion and it is really in MINT condition! Here are some pics of the lens and then a wide open test shot (hand held and not really sharp at 100% due to me!). I have not really shot anything serious yet except for test shots to make sure the lens performed up to it's legendary status. It does. Sharp wide open with great color and rendering. There is a little CA and fringing in very contrasty,
...Show more

I wonder how this lens sizes up against the Leica R 80 Summilux?

May 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.125 #4 · p.125 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I had been trying to sell my Summicron M 50/2 Collapsible, but I decided I'd keep it, so I needed to get something to put behind it...

May 16, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.125 #5 · p.125 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Nice Cal!!

May 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.125 #6 · p.125 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

j.liam wrote:
I wonder how this lens sizes up against the Leica R 80 Summilux?

I don't know. That Summilux is a lens I have always wanted to try. Both are somewhat similar seven element designs. Photodo's measured MTF's show higher contrast wide open and better performance across the frame stopped down for the Pentax compared to Leica's MTF's for the Summilux (but we all know there is more to it than measurements).

May 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.125 #7 · p.125 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

It doesn't look like the Pentax 135mm lens will work out for me.

I'd forgotten the finicky behavior of some Alt lenses when using manual aperture -- over-exposure errors when closing down. Nearly one stop less on this lens from f/2.5 to 5.6. The color is wonderful, but the focus precision is not, nor is the sharpness as good as I'd like.

So far, this makes six attempts with inexpensive 135mm Alt that have all struck out for me. Best results so far have been from the Leica R and Contax Zeiss (C/Y) models. This one is right in the middle for performance.

X-posted from Canon Spring thread.

May 17, 2013 at 01:34 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.125 #8 · p.125 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

How are you focussing these manual lenses? LV while using a tripod or handheld using the eyepiece viewfinder? If you are using the viewfinder then keep in mind that many modern DSLR cameras suck at proving accurate manual focus. The best manual focusing camera I ever used was the Pentax LX with a Beattie matte focus screen. Using that camera with the Pentax A* 85/1.4 was a dream. I never really knew how bad my modern Canons were at manual focus until I got my 58/1.2 Rokkor converted. I then went through the whole shim/washer exercise to get the view screen shimmed accurately.

May 17, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.125 #9 · p.125 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Generally, I do pretty good with viewfinder focusing on the 1Ds3 and 5D2. Recently did a series with Samyang 85/1.4 and it was pretty spot-on. Also zero problem with the Canon TS-E lenses. I had trouble with this lens yesterday afternoon on the 1DS3, and today on the 5D3 in bright overcast conditions both times.

I find WA lenses to be most difficult to establish correct manual focus due to low magnification of the viewfinder. Faster normal to telephoto don't provide much problem if properly adjusted.

I just don't need the hassle. One day I'll break down and buy the 135L lens and get some proper AF.

May 17, 2013 at 04:11 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.125 #10 · p.125 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Using a matte focus screen gives you a darker image but yields more feedback when using manual focus. Unfortunatley the latest trend is that more and more cameras do not have interchangeable focus screens...

May 17, 2013 at 07:20 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.125 #11 · p.125 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Wow, wow, wow!
Good for me, Canon FD 85/2.8 arrived today.
I was feeling kind of sick when I saw the box it was in.
Luckily? it was also in the hard lens case.
Though, I don't store lens in old cases, ever.
Anywho, not a scratch on the lens anywhere, and pristine glass, not even dust!
Amazing, same with the hood.
Last time I looked on eBay prices, I paid a 1/4 of those prices for this one.
Sorry to be long winded, I am still shocked of the bargain I got.
I just HAD to tell someone.
*8^)

buggz2k wrote:
Wow! This Canon FD 500/4.5L is super LIGHT!
I got it today.

And the price I paid for the FD 85/2.8 soft focus was unbelievably low!
Haven't gotten it yet, hoping good thoughts...

May 17, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.125 #12 · p.125 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Using a matte focus screen gives you a darker image but yields more feedback when using manual focus. Unfortunatley the latest trend is that more and more cameras do not have interchangeable focus screens...

Yes, I never change to the "S" type screen. Far too dark for slower lenses and zooms, which I use more often than fast manual focus lenses.

May 17, 2013 at 08:45 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.125 #13 · p.125 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Nik-Nex turbo adapter and a 28/2 Petri in K mount

Mike

May 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.125 #14 · p.125 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5 (55mm filter) non-macro version. I have read a lot about this lens and I had an opportunity to acquire a mint copy for less than $100, I decided to try it. It is extremely well made and smooth to operate. I slapped on an MD-Nex adapter and went out to try it.

May 18, 2013 at 05:37 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.125 #15 · p.125 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

That looks excellent.. I recently bought the macro version. Also very good.

Mike

May 18, 2013 at 06:46 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.125 #16 · p.125 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

a side effect of my recent g28 conversion is that i have the option of using it as a macro lens on film:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/8759272425_d3247eb950_o.jpg

May 20, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.125 #17 · p.125 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Zuiko 24/2 - not bad but only slightly better than 24/2.8.
Nikkor micro 105/2.8 VR +Nikon D7000 - not so alt,but sometimes vibration reduction is very helpful in taking aps-c closeups

Edited on May 22, 2013 at 01:33 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2013 at 03:40 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.125 #18 · p.125 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Gunzorro wrote:
Yes, I never change to the "S" type screen. Far too dark for slower lenses and zooms, which I use more often than fast manual focus lenses.

I couldn't live without it. Which is why my 5D3 never sees manual lenses unless tripod-mounted.

May 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.125 #19 · p.125 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Another MC W Rokkor 24/2.8 55mm (not SI,not MD) - excellent and only 99Euro -before they disappear I don't mind not so sharp corners and some LCA.The colour and overall rendering is what I really like.

May 22, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.125 #20 · p.125 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Olympus OM 50/3.5, from KEH, EX grade. Looks like it's never been on a body. I will be using this on a NEX 6, as soon as I can find an adapter that works.

In discussion with an ebay merchant as we speak. This FL will be so useful on the NEX 6. Its combination of peaking and magnification makes all MF lenses a breeze to operate.

May 22, 2013 at 04:03 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.