Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

500mm might be short, but if i go any longer (more expensive) my wife might cut my life short! actually she's been very encouraging to my long lens lust. she also enjoys checking out wildlife, just behind good binoculars rather than a 9 pound lens!

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

ditto on picking up the lens from Scott...
the AFSII 500 is an exceptional lens, extremely sharp even wide open.
You will definately save yourself some cash....

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM
havasu_photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive wrote:
500mm might be short, but if i go any longer (more expensive) my wife might cut my life short! actually she's been very encouraging to my long lens lust. she also enjoys checking out wildlife, just behind good binoculars rather than a 9 pound lens!

I really think you should find someplace to rent one first.
300VR+1.7, minimum usuable aperture(sharp), f/5.6=510mm
500VR-minimum usuable(sharp) aperture, F4
Now, if you start putting a tele-converter on the 500.....well, your mileage may vary.
I imagine a 1.4 wouldn't be to bad, but, that puts you up to F5.6??(sorry, not good with math).
And the 1.7 puts you up even higher.

So, with the combination you have right now, your already at 500mm.
Are you thinking of using the 500VR with the 1.7TC??
Might wanna ask Scott or TM if they've used that combination for feedback on the results.

Feb 11, 2011 at 03:45 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

havasu_photo wrote:
500VR-minimum usuable(sharp) aperture, F4
Now, if you start putting a tele-converter on the 500.....well, your mileage may vary.
I imagine a 1.4 wouldn't be to bad, but, that puts you up to F5.6??(sorry, not good with math).
And the 1.7 puts you up even higher.

For me, birding STARTS at 500mm. The 300/2.8 peters out with the TC17EII at 510 where the 500VR is just getting started. As for TC's the 500VR handles the TC14EII pretty well flawlessly and takes the TC17EII quite well. The 300 is a great lens, but not long enough for birds.

http://www.pbase.com/garyirwin/image/124928810/original.jpg
Nikon D3 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,TC17EII
1/250s f/6.7 at 850.0mm iso640 hand held, heavy crop

Feb 11, 2011 at 04:04 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

what i need is some sunlight to shoot in good conditions! my lens (vr) reasoning goes as follows..i want the ability to handhold when i'm on a hike or shooting out of a car, etc...or just to help in lower light conditions to keep the shutter speed up as much as possible. that argues for vr. on the tripod question, i've never had one that i've kept for very long, but for those occasions when i'm shooting wildlife and am going to be stationary i could see it coming in really handy. i will ask about using the tc on the 500mm, that is an assumption i am making. i should also use the monopod more than i do as a stopgap to see if it is enough. the gimbals sure look like they are fun to use however! ok, so i am a sick man.....

Feb 11, 2011 at 04:29 PM
---XR---
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Gary Irwin wrote:
For me, birding STARTS at 500mm. (300 not long enough for birds)

simply not true, many many people cannot afford 6000-15,000+ on a birding setup, that doesn't mean birding cannot be done at shorter lengths with or without TC's. Look at the setup Thunderbird used to get his national geographic cover shot awhile ago, AF-S 300/4 a 1.7 and a D300 handheld. For tiny tiny little birds the big glass really comes in play, or very skittish wildlife.

a recent few from my 300/4 (D2H)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5409235704_ff6d7d6d3a_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/5145233286_b55cf12e9c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/4596534510_c337a0288f_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4746182479_176bf75c11_b.jpg

got plenty more where these came from.

Feb 11, 2011 at 05:22 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Seagulls, ducks and large cranes notwithstanding, I agree with Gary. Birding starts at 500mm. Now I applaud people like Jody Melanson who are able to get wildlife shots with a 400mm lens, but for most of us it starts at 500mm.

Feb 11, 2011 at 06:24 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

A point from the rental house side of things - several hundred renters per year use our Nikon and Canon 400s, 500s, and 600s. They all love them, both sides. Supertelephoto renters are just thrilled with the glass and love the shots they get. Nobody ever is disappointed in those lenses, which is not something I can say for any other category.

I've also had a fair number of people crossover trying to make this decision, and they usually decide based on their likes about cameras, or cost figures, but I don't remember anyone ever deciding because one 500 or 600 was better than the other.

I guess my only point is any difference in the lens quality of a supertelephoto from one brand to another is got to be awfully small.

Feb 11, 2011 at 06:37 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

RCicala wrote:
A point from the rental house side of things - several hundred renters per year use our Nikon and Canon 400s, 500s, and 600s. They all love them, both sides. Supertelephoto renters are just thrilled with the glass and love the shots they get. Nobody ever is disappointed in those lenses, which is not something I can say for any other category.

I've also had a fair number of people crossover trying to make this decision, and they usually decide based on their likes about cameras, or cost figures, but I don't remember anyone ever deciding because one 500 or
...Show more

Best post so far.

Feb 11, 2011 at 06:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

RCicala wrote:

I've also had a fair number of people crossover trying to make this decision, and they usually decide based on their likes about cameras, or cost figures, but I don't remember anyone ever deciding because one 500 or
...Show more

It is nice to hear from someone with experience of more than one copy, and both brands

I am just working my way through the articles on LR, Roger. Great stuff!

Feb 12, 2011 at 07:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

The long teles are one case where the camera may be the limiting factor. If cost is an issue consider that using an older lens with a better camera may give better results than a lesser camera with the newer lens.

EBH

Feb 12, 2011 at 09:59 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.