Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

are there any noticeable differences between nikon and canon long lenses, specifically the 500mm f/4 stablized lenses? i'm a nikon shooter but the nikon glass is currently so much more expensive that i could buy a used canon 500 plus a 7d and probably be below the cost for a used nikon 500vr...i know the new canon lenses are going to be a lot more expensive (and lighter too), but i'm interested in comparisons in current offerings which is what i will be considering. thanks.

Feb 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

I'm not sure the 500mm was represented on this thread, but Nikon bokeh is certainly much better overall....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/974861/0

Feb 10, 2011 at 04:43 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

i'm not denigrating nikon glass (i have a lot of it and love it!), just noodling about how much more expensive it is and whether for a specific use (wildlife) i might be better off with a canon 7d/500is setup vs just the 500vr (with a d400 likely down the road).

Feb 10, 2011 at 04:54 PM
havasu_photo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Well, you have to assume that if your using Canon glass, your also using a Canon body. Did you want rapidly locking auto-focus with that?? Sorry, can't have it.
Even the 1DIV had a hit ratio of only 40%(that was with a 500mm Canon stablized lens-on a production shoot). You'd be amazed at how far a photographer can throw the whole set-up. Yes, he actually pitched the whole setup, it came crashing to the ground, no worse for wear.

That same professional photographer was also the "beta-tester" for the Mark IV, and had been with Canon for years.
After hearing his problems with the new Mark IV, I loaned him my lowly Nikon D300+300VR lens. He went out, did a product shoot, and came back grinning from ear to ear. His keepers?? 93%!!!!

He's since changed over completely to Nanon, and has told me that with only a couple of exceptions-none of those being long lenses, Nikon kicks Canon to the curb.

I hate to say this, because I know I'll just get "crushed" by all the internet experts. But doesn't it make you wonder about a company that is so insecure, that they have to paint their lenses white to separate them from the pack, to get you to buy them??

Canon has been, and probably always will be, more geared toward the consumer. Nikon has always been, and will probably always be, more geared towards the professional.

Flame on!!!
P.S. I will not be replying to the many "jabs" and "pokes" I receive. This has just been my experience, and that of a professional photographer friend of mine.
YMMV

Feb 10, 2011 at 04:55 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Did a ton of research before buying my 500/4. When you cut out all the fanboy stuff and look at the stuff people who use both say the Nikon stuff gets the nod. Had though about getting a 7D and a 500 Canon. Yes you can get that for about a new Nikon 500. In the end bought a used Nikon for the price of a new Canon( old not new model).
The question is can you be happy with just good enough or will you always be wishing for the Nikon.

If your profile is up to date then maybe you should be looking at a 600 not a 500

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:28 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

OP - my thinking was exactly the same as yours. I currently own the 500 f/4 IS. It is a fantastic lens. I am very happy with it and it takes a 1.4x TC quite well.

You may think about picking up a MKII or MKIIn for less than the cost of a 7D. Many people do not like the IQ that comes out of the 7D. Perhaps renting a 7D for a test run would be wise?

I am not sure the anecdotal story offered above should impact your decision. Obviously if you are not considering a MIV then this has no bearing on what you intend to buy. However, I would say that many people are quite happy with the MKIV, and it will be my next purchase (I rented one and tested it myself). The custom focusing controls on this camera do take some time to learn and get used to. As always operator error must be considered as a potential part of the equation.

Many photographers use Lens Coat if they are bothered by the white finish.

Edited on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

there is a price point beyond which i'm not likely to cross...and the 600 used is almost 9k (i've salivated over the one for sale on fm, or at least the pictures shown) with the 500 about 7k...which is plenty for me. also the 500 is a lot lighter which will come in handy even if i get a tripod/gimbal setup which i've posted for. there are always times i'm going to want the option to handhold even if just for a few minutes. the 300/1.7 combo is great but as my last excursion birding showed me you can always use more reach.

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

LLondon wrote:
Did a ton of research before buying my 500/4. When you cut out all the fanboy stuff and look at the stuff people who use both say the Nikon stuff gets the nod. Had though about getting a 7D and a 500 Canon. Yes you can get that for about a new Nikon 500. In the end bought a used Nikon for the price of a new Canon( old not new model).
The question is can you be happy with just good enough or will you always be wishing for the Nikon.

If your profile is up to date then maybe you
...Show more

I also did a lot of research, including renting both lenses and shooting them side by side.

There is very little difference, except cost.

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:41 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive wrote:
there is a price point beyond which i'm not likely to cross...and the 600 used is almost 9k (i've salivated over the one for sale on fm, or at least the pictures shown) with the 500 about 7k...which is plenty for me. also the 500 is a lot lighter which will come in handy even if i get a tripod/gimbal setup which i've posted for. there are always times i'm going to want the option to handhold even if just for a few minutes. the 300/1.7 combo is great but as my last excursion birding showed me you can always
...Show more

The way I like to look at it is that for the cost of a 500mm f4 IS and camera vs the Nikon 500mm VR, I got a great lens and a free camera

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:47 PM
---XR---
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

you posted a canon v.s nikon thread in only the nikon forum, hope you understand how biased posting works...

my take- you cannot compared the VR 400,500,600 to the current canon models- why? the canon models up till now are much older 5-6 y/o designs, you'd have to compare to the AF-S II or AF-S Nikkors to really be accurate as canon is only now updating their super telephoto line. (ie- nikon is better now)

i have considered buying a canon 1d4 and 800 IS for awhile as nikon's closest showing for a current pro crop body (nothing-D300 don't count think D2/D3 integrated vertical gripped bodies) and a 800 5.6 (600 + 1.4 or go MF) isn't where it needs to be, BUT so many stories of suspect AF left me hanging on to my nikons. that says it all, even though canon has what nikon doesn't, if it doesn't perform correctly for $17,000--- i don't want it.

Edited on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:54 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dudemanppl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

galenapass wrote:
The way I like to look at it is that for the cost of a 500mm f4 IS and camera vs the Nikon 500mm VR, I got a great lens and a free camera

Or a really expensive camera and a free lens.

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:53 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

i thought about posting this in the canon forum as well just to see what would happen but i don't want to be accused of spamming the boards...

regarding the 7d i hadn't heard anything negative at all about it, including focusing. i'm still kicking ideas around, maybe someone will need to dump a cheap 500vr to put me out of my misery...

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:54 PM
---XR---
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive wrote:
i thought about posting this in the canon forum as well just to see what would happen but i don't want to be accused of spamming the boards...

you have to ask nicely, and they are civilized-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/974731/0?keyword=800#9238115

Feb 10, 2011 at 05:58 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

If I were you I would post in the Nature forum here on FM. They are even more civilized and the people that hang out there actually use long glass, instead of telling stories about what they heard, have read etc...

Feb 10, 2011 at 06:08 PM
scott f
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

I seriously doubt there is that much difference between lenses of this calibre. You will notice AF difference though, the 7D is good, but it does struggle at times, is much more "jumpy" than you might be used to.

Feb 10, 2011 at 07:09 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive wrote:
are there any noticeable differences between nikon and canon long lenses

No.

cohenfive wrote:
i'm a nikon shooter but the nikon glass is currently so much more expensive ...

Ummm...have you checked out Canon's prices for their new versions?....much more expensive than Nikon.

Feb 10, 2011 at 08:05 PM
Paul G

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Cohenfive, I am just a beginner at bird photography but have joined a couple of dedicated sites to learn more. As a result, I get to see a lot of bird shots posted day after day. One thing I've noticed consistently is the amount of noise that often shows up in pics shot over ISO 400 with non-Mark series Canon camera.

This is just a single anecdote (and we all know that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data"), but I shot a small dark bird against a dark sea at a long distance with my D90 side by side against a 7D. I shot ISO 400 and the Canon shooter shot ISO 640. My image was clean, his was a box of noise. I mean REALLY bad noise.

Before you jump to a non-FF Canon body, decide if you'll be shooting above ISO 400. If the answer is yes, look at a lot of online images to see if you'll find the quality acceptable.

Feb 10, 2011 at 08:09 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

Stop and think for a second...the NEW Nikon glass is $8100 aand has a FIVE year warranty. A USED Canon is $6700 + $700 to get a 5 year warranty. That's a $700 difference between a NEW lens and a USED lens. Do you really think a 7D compares to a D3?
........you on drugs??

Feb 10, 2011 at 08:15 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

galenapass wrote:
I also did a lot of research, including renting both lenses and shooting them side by side.

There is very little difference, except cost.

Good for you. I chose to keep the 1K it would have cost me to rent both 500 and a Canon body for a trip to use my 500 later on.

So tell us besides price what are the difference you found. Which one AF faster, which one tracks better, has better IQ, better colors? Is it the Canon is better or the Nikon just not the price difference better?

Feb 10, 2011 at 09:24 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon vs Canon Long Glass Quality..

cohenfive wrote:
there is a price point beyond which i'm not likely to cross...and the 600 used is almost 9k (i've salivated over the one for sale on fm, or at least the pictures shown) with the 500 about 7k...which is plenty for me. also the 500 is a lot lighter which will come in handy even if i get a tripod/gimbal setup which i've posted for. there are always times i'm going to want the option to handhold even if just for a few minutes. the 300/1.7 combo is great but as my last excursion birding showed me you can always
...Show more

Agree on the price and weight on the 600. Keep looking around for the 500 as a few VRII just came and went might be some VRI hitting the FS board got mine in Dec for 6500. Still learning with it.

Feb 10, 2011 at 09:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password