Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

paulro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

Hi,

I found a Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 Contarex lens for next to nothing and picked it up. Is this lens good enough on m4/3 to justify the $120 adapter cost?

I already have Canon and Nikon 50mm 1.4s as well as a Schneider Kreuznach 50mm F1.9, so I'd be looking for the Zeiss to distinguish itself in some way such as unique color rendition, nicer bokeh, higher micro contrast, or better sharpness (seems unlikely).

Thanks for any feedback,

Paul

Feb 08, 2011 at 02:12 AM
Haifisch M3
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

paulro wrote:
Hi,

I found a Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 Contarex lens for next to nothing and picked it up. Is this lens good enough on m4/3 to justify the $120 adapter cost?

I already have Canon and Nikon 50mm 1.4s as well as a Schneider Kreuznach 50mm F1.9, so I'd be looking for the Zeiss to distinguish itself in some way such as unique color rendition, nicer bokeh, higher micro contrast, or better sharpness (seems unlikely).

Thanks for any feedback,

Paul

I also have that lens
where did you find that adapter? does it allow you to change the aperture?
this was done thru a dial on the camera, so there is no aperture ring on the lens

Feb 08, 2011 at 03:15 AM
paulro

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

Haifisch M3 wrote:
I also have that lens
where did you find that adapter? does it allow you to change the aperture?
this was done thru a dial on the camera, so there is no aperture ring on the lens

Fotodix and Kipon both make one, and they both appear to allow setting the aperture. I just did a google search for "contarex 4/3 adapter" and multiple sellers came up on page one.

Feb 08, 2011 at 03:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

Some pics and opinions here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/contarex-planar-2-50-on-5dmkii-t32212.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/nex5-and-planar-50-2-contarex-t34361.html

It seems to be very different from the Contax and modern Zeiss lenses. Less microcontrast and a much flatter field, very even sharpness across the frame even from wide open, and smooth bokeh.

Feb 08, 2011 at 08:02 PM
paulro

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

AhamB wrote:
Some pics and opinions here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/contarex-planar-2-50-on-5dmkii-t32212.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/nex5-and-planar-50-2-contarex-t34361.html

It seems to be very different from the Contax and modern Zeiss lenses. Less microcontrast and a much flatter field, very even sharpness across the frame even from wide open, and smooth bokeh.

Aham, many thanks for the links! Not sure how I missed those in my earlier searches. It does look to have impressive sharpness and nice bokeh, but I have those characteristics in other lenses. I think I'll hold off on adapting this lens and keep saving for Contax (or perhaps Leica R) glass with more dimensionality/pop.

Feb 08, 2011 at 10:04 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss Contarex 50/F2 worth getting an adapter for?

Contax (or Zeiss Z*) is your best bet for good plasticity. Color rendition looks nice on Leica R as well. Bokeh for the Contax 50mm's isn't the smoothest though. (The Sigma 50/1.4 is the best option for great bokeh and sharpness at large apertures, but then it lacks all the Zeiss qualities.)
I'm considering getting a second hand ZE 50/1.4 over a Contax, because it has a 9-blade aperture, which makes nicer bokeh (without the ugly hexagons) and sun stars.

Feb 09, 2011 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password