Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

coreymatthew
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

I'm sure someone will tell me to use the search or provide links to an answer (which I would appreciate), so I want to start off by saying I've been searching for the past hour and haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

I just purchased a prophotoblog and I'm working on setting it up. Right now, when you go to my url it immediately starts you off at the blog. I'd like for it to start you off with a static page and let you choose to go to the blog or portfolio or other pages.

Like these examples:

http://www.disciascio.com/
http://hofferphotography.com/

I keep reading that if you create a new page that you want to be your static page and under settings->reading select static page and make the front page your static page. However, when I do this I can't figure out how to still have a "blog" link that takes me to the blog. Ideally I'd like the blog to be at myurl.com/blog

There has to be a simple way to do this that I'm overlooking, but I can't find anything that explains how to do this and I was hoping someone here could help me with that.

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:17 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

1. Create a wordpress page that you want to use as your landing page
2. In your wordpress reading settings tell it to use a static page and specify the one you created.

Ha ha read fail on my part. Gimme 5 minutes and I'll find the rest of the answer

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:26 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Ok dunno how much of this is crap and how much makes it work.
Here's what I have (who knows why)
1. A page called Blog that is totally blank
2. In the reading section static page points to the static page and the dropsown right below (posts page) points to this blank Blog page. (the blank page might just be needed to create the link the way you want it)
3. In prophoto settings under menu add items I have one of the two custom links pointing to that blog page.

Hth

Edited on Feb 02, 2011 at 11:40 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:36 PM
aclauson
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Prophoto explains it here: http://www.prophotoblogs.com/support/about/static-homepage/

I have my site set up this way (don't click if you don't want to give me SEO): http://www.luminessencephoto.ca/

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:40 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Damn I nailed it by just looking at my Chit!

But yeah, OP, totally follow the instructions linked above

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

I think the question you're really asking is not "How do I create a static page", but "How do I make my static page be YYYY.com and my blog be YYYY.com/blog"

The reading settings will do the static page part...

As far as getting the URLs right, you need to set up Wordpress in the directory for the main page. When you follow the ProPhoto directions listed above, make that Permalink /blog or whatever you want it to be...

Feb 02, 2011 at 11:47 PM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Thanks for the link. It wasn't working for me because I was missing Step 4. Thanks for the help guys.

Feb 03, 2011 at 02:15 AM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Actually the links all work the way they are supposed to, but instead of the url for the blog being url.com/?page_id=33 how would I go about making it url.com/blog?

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys. I'm sure these are dumb questions

Feb 03, 2011 at 02:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Edit the page and you should be able to set the URL to what you want ... Page meaning that "blog" placeholder page

Feb 03, 2011 at 02:46 AM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Can you explain how you were able to edit your "blog" placeholder page and set it to any url?

The only thing I can see is the ability to change the permalinks structure.

Edit: Ok, so the permalinks cannot be set to "default" otherwise it will name your pages using a pageid. If you change the permalinks to name and date, it will let you change the url of your pages.

Feb 03, 2011 at 03:09 AM
chris.bersbach
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

I have a follow-up question that I thought would be a snap, but I seem to be doing something wrong...

I'm trying to set up a few additional static pages through ProPhoto3 - such as "contact," etc. - and I don't want the header to appear at the top of these. I tried using the same code as for the static home page:

body.home .post-header {display: none;}

...but changed "home" to "contact" (the name of the static page in this example), but it still shows the header. Should I be modifying the line of CSS in some other way?

Feb 07, 2011 at 07:04 PM
letenele
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Feb 07, 2011 at 07:18 PM
junray

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

chris.bersbach wrote:
I'm trying to set up a few additional static pages through ProPhoto3 - such as "contact," etc. - and I don't want the header to appear at the top of these. I tried using the same code as for the static home page:

body.home .post-header {display: none;}

...but changed "home" to "contact" (the name of the static page in this example), but it still shows the header. Should I be modifying the line of CSS in some other way?

this is what i use. "body.home .post-header, body.page .post-header {display: none;}"

Feb 12, 2011 at 07:26 PM
junray

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me.

In my contact page. I want to remove everything that is under the contact and information. Someone told me it's called a sliding drawer and I might have to use a plug-in. Which plug-in is good and how do I install it? I've downloaded a couple of plug-in but I can't figure out how to install it or if they're any good.

TIA,
JR

Feb 12, 2011 at 07:43 PM
OLMartinez
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

I was breaking my head trying to figure this out. I was about to email Mr. Disciascio and Mr. Hoffer because I use their site layouts for inspirations

Thanks a lot!

Feb 12, 2011 at 09:24 PM
chris.bersbach
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Prophoto Static Landing Page

Huge help, junray. I just came back to this post and tried out your suggestion - worked perfectly.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password