Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Mamiya 645AFD III question.

strok
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya 645AFD III question.

Hi there,
I'm looking into buying the Mamiya 645AFD III for landscape photography.
I never had a medium format camera and i have several questions regarding choosing right lenses.
My questions:
1) the widest lens from mamiya is 28mm (=17mm on FF body 35x24).
How the 28mm feels on medium body? does it have same distortion as 17mm on FF?
2) Can I use lenses from different medium format systems (contax, hasselblad, etc)?

3) What is the best glass available for this camera? (landscape)

Regards,
Evgueni

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya 645AFD III question.

Hi Evgueni,

1. Mamiya does make a 28mm, but it is a truly expensive lens. Are you sure you want to kick off your medium format (film) experience with such a thing? 645 film is great, but for landscapes "some people" tend to favor an even larger negative, such as 6x7 or 6x9, or even 4x5 and larger.

I cannot answer any questions about the 28mm besides price and compatibility, I've never even put paw to one.

2. Contax 645, Pentax 645, Fujiblad 645 - none of them will work on the Mamiya AF cameras. Hasselblad 6x6, yes, you can use an adapter to make it fit. The same goes for Pentax 67 lenses to Mamiya 645.

3. This is almost the first question I would ask, if I were in your shoes. Wide angles don't mean great landscapes by default. Frankly I think you are better served, if 645 format (film) is what you want to shoot, by perhaps trying some of the many Mamiya M645 (manual focus) lenses that litter the world. They are relatively inexpensive and work on the autofocus Mamiyas with some (minor) limitations: for example only the spot meter functions on the camera body, and you must perform either stop-down metering or calculate the exposure in your head, on the fly, based on full-aperture metering (and manual focussing) then turn the aperture ring based on that.

Honestly, if you are able to afford the 28mm AF lens - you might consider getting a Mamiya 7II and the 43mm lens to start with, as well. It's very hard to use special filters with maximum intended effect on a rangefinder camera, but the Mamiya rangefinders are amazing cameras in terms image quality.

My question for you: how or where do you plan on either printing, or otherwise digitizing your photos?

Edit: why version III of the camera? It has improved autofocus, but it's not like landscapes need AF like moving subjects do. The 645 AFd and AFdII are cheaper and can use the exact same lens lineup...

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya 645AFD III question.

Evgueni

You may want to try www.getdpi.com. Great site and has dedicated and very, very, very active Medium Format section . Lots of Phase/Mamiya, Hassy, Leaf back users and reps from manufacturer's/dealers who are members. B&S section is also very active with bodies and lenses.

As above, you can use the following non-AF Mamiya lenses on AFDIII, but all (IIRC) are stop-down and spot metering only:

1. Mamiya M645 manual focus glass
2. Hassy V body lenses with Mamiya MaM-1 (or aftermarket) adapter.
3. Pentax 67.

The above advice on bodies is worth pondering. If sticking with film and landscapes (thus no real need for manual focus), an older body, even a old manual focus body (which would give full aperture control of older M645 glass and still use Hassy V units, etc) are dirt cheap. The money saved vs an AFDIII could be used for glass (M645 or Hassy, etc).

If moving at some point to digital back, may want to eventually move to a new DF body (IIRC the DF is not film compatible), so money could also be saved for eventual move to it with the manual focus body and lenses kept as film backups. Good luck on whatever you decide - nice kit.

Jan 24, 2011 at 07:26 AM
strok
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya 645AFD III question.

Thank you, it's a good start!
I don't mind having manual focus lenses for landscapes, but in same time it would be nice to be able to use the camera for every day shooting.
Sorry I didn't check the price on 28mm. Yes, it is pricy.
I forgot to mention that I would like to use a digital back, so Mamiya 7II is not an option in this case, unless there's a digital back for this camera I didn't know of.
(how or where do you plan on either printing, or otherwise digitizing your photos?) I do own an epson 9880, so I do intend to print.
(why version III ) Just want to heve a setup which will allow me to use an AF if I need it.
I used to have some great manual glass from contax and zeiss on my canon body, and I know hard sometimes it can be to use it in everyday shooting.
(If moving at some point to digital back, may want to eventually move to a new DF body (IIRC the DF is not film compatible), ) good point, thanks
Thanks again

Jan 24, 2011 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.