Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Krosavcheg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Gentlemen

Since I am letting go of another CY 35/1.4 curently being sold for around 500gbp (I know) I am looking at the Mirex Mamiya645 to EOS adaptor, but not entirely sure which one to procure...
Mirex lists one adaptor as "Direct Connect". Not entirely sure what implies, so I would grateful if anyone could point me in a right direction..

Best Regards

Jan 04, 2011 at 12:32 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

I'm not sure what it means but I'm not sure it matters either as there is only one option for a T/S M645/EOS adapter. Presumably you can also by the T2 version of the TS adapter and then use an aditional T2/EOS adapter so I suppose this is why they list some adapters as 'direct connect'. This might be a good option if you plan to use the adapter on various other bodies but I don't see much point if you expect to keep using an EOS body.

I have the T/S M645/EOS adapter and I'm very happy with it.

JJ

Jan 04, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

John

Thank you so much for clarifying. I realised another adaptor was Shift only.
The difference is rather small, so I will get the T/S...
Indeed, using EOS only, but occasionally toying with getting a Sony...

Jan 04, 2011 at 12:55 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

The tilt functionality is far more useful to me than shift, but everyone is different. I would never bother with a shift only adapter but obviously that depends on what you want to shoot and some would see it the other way around. The Mirex adapter is not perfect but I think that the extra control it gives you is very cheap compared to other options like dedicated t/s lenses. These days I mainly shoot with it and M645 lenses even though I have quite a few nice Leica R and Zeiss lenses kicking around. I just don't like to use lenses that don't give me the control you get with a T/S lens. Spoilt or what!

JJ

Jan 04, 2011 at 01:03 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Spoilt? Nah. Connosieur? Perhaps..
I understand fully. I think getting a shift only adaptor for a little smaller sum and then regretting not acquiring the T/S would be a bigger mistake on my part.
I neither had a chance to shoot tilt nor shift, so I don't know which function would suit my shooting style in this very moment.

Jan 04, 2011 at 01:28 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Mirex is indeed offering a T/S with EOS connect - eliminating the need for the T2 (EOS) adapter - they can now also accept PayPal in lieu of their previous bank transfer only payment with associated fees. The EOS direct connect and PP brought the price of their product down in cost by quite a bit.

I'm using the Mirex/Hasselblad T/S presently with an 80mm and will add additional FL's in the future. I use the rig mainly for product and landscape - I'm not a fan of the tilt blur effect. Tilt will increase the DOF and shift can be used to correct geometric perspective for Architecture on wider lenses or used for a three frame shift pano. I'm liking everything about this combination - I had a Canon 45 & 90 TS-E and the Mirex/Hasselblad rig has a much higher IQ and just as easy to use. Metering on the Mirex has a little learning curve - meter first in neural position then T/S or use manual and chimp. Tilt can also be used for increased DOF on close-up and tubed for micro-ish use. I don't have one any longer but I believe an extender / tele-converter can be used for longer FL.

The tilt can be dialed in mathematically - attached is a template to do so. I've made paper copies of the focal lengths I use and carry a "cheat sheet" to help my fading memory.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Multiple frame landscape panos from a large format landscape photographer's point of view.

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/transforming-large-format.html

Edited on Jan 04, 2011 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2011 at 03:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

As I understand it, the T2 option is only available for the Hasselblad Mirex. The M645 to EOS is just that, straight-up with no additional adapters. The option to accept PayPal will be very helpful, as most North American bank employees seem to have missed the course on wire transfers. You'll love it, and the M645 lenses that go on it.

Jan 04, 2011 at 04:05 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Is the Mamiya adapter the best to get and what lenses do you plan to run with it?

And if you do get it, please post how the paypal transaction went...I wrote it off thinking it'd be a PITA and started looking at the Hartblei tilt adapter instead.

I wish the Mirex had a black anodized option...

Jan 04, 2011 at 08:04 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

If weight and cost matters, the M645 is the go. There is such a large installed base of exc con+ lenses that they are incredibly cheap, compact, light and share two filter sizes. And good, much better than many expected, including me, with a restrained, 'professional' look.

I got a TS with a Minolta/Sony mount (that is what is meant, no need for adapter) and can vouch for its ease of use and build quality, so much engineering in such a small package. And you get very generous degrees of shift and tilt, enough to overdo it very easily.

Jan 04, 2011 at 08:55 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Do you ever find that you need to shift in a different direction from what's allowed w/ the Mirex?

Jan 05, 2011 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

jcolwell wrote:
The option to accept PayPal will be very helpful

+1, or rather, at the very least, plus $29, because those silly bank transfer fees cost 30 bones, plus the DHL shipping (I'd favor a slower, cheaper route) ended up being nearly 20% (?) of the cost of acquiring a Mirex, from the US. But, I'm sounding like a broken record, as I have wailed about those two things many times in the past.

At least one of them is now "solved".

Jan 05, 2011 at 02:32 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

kenyee wrote:
Do you ever find that you need to shift in a different direction from what's allowed w/ the Mirex?

The adapter rotates around the base with (I think) 15 degree click stops, but will stay wherever you want it to in between. So you can shift or tilt at any angle you want.

The tilt and shift are at a fixed relationship, and can't be changed, but I'm not sure that matters at all.

There may be issues with the prism on a camera obstructing the lens movement in certain directions but it's not been the case with my 1ds2 or 5d2. The Mirex people will be able to answer any specific questions about that if you have them.

JJ

Jan 05, 2011 at 04:12 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

A 40D flash housing blocks the last few millimeters of vertical shift, if you're shooting horizontal.

Jan 05, 2011 at 05:50 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Montag: Thank you very much for the additional info. They indeed accept PayPal, but PayPal refused to allow me to pay outside of eBay which resulted in my acquaintance purchasing an item and me being unable to compensate him in a timely manner...

Will be shooting on 5D. Not sure if there are any issues, but Markus mentioned some on XXXD/XXD series.

Good question about which lenses - kept me thinking all day today. Markus recommends 35-120mm range, but except 35/3.5, 80/1.9 and 120/4 I don't know many more, so the choice is limited. And is it worth investing in complicated transaction and ending up using 80/1.9 mainly if I can get PC-Micro Nikkor 85/2.8 for a "little more" money

I have been sneakingly looking on Schneider and Zoerk solutions as well, but those are much more expensive.

Does Hartblei still make Mamiya-EOS t/s? In the mail they specified some Pentacon6 and m42 tilt adaptor availability.

Jan 05, 2011 at 10:55 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

If you want to do tilt effects, and get very pronounced bokeh or really throw the focus plane out, do faux miniatures as landscapes or urban landscapes, etc. then I can tell you there is a noticeable difference between f/1.9 and f/2.8.

But, you may want to shoot at f/2.8, in which case the Mamiya's iris makes point source bokeh begin to look hexagonal or septagonal (I forget how many blades it has) and this is very pronounced. The Nikkor might do better in this department, but personally I'd opt for the Mamiya. I also shoot 645 film, though, so the dual-purpose nature of the 1.9 seals the deal for me, as well as the fact that you really can turn a few of their lenses into T/S by virtue of the adapter, in lieu of buying a single Nikkor.

Krosavcheg wrote:
is it worth investing in complicated transaction and ending up using 80/1.9 mainly if I can get PC-Micro Nikkor 85/2.8 for a "little more" money

Jan 05, 2011 at 03:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

sirimiri wrote:
A 40D flash housing blocks the last few millimeters of vertical shift, if you're shooting horizontal.

I put my 20D to the bench grinder to solve this problem. Now it`s a stealth Canon.

Jan 05, 2011 at 04:55 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Maybe you has already seen this - U-tube Mirex in action - simple, well engineered, small/light weight.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibGRQvhopo

Jan 05, 2011 at 05:12 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

Sirimiri: True. Mirex is a very versatile tool. Besides, it is still possible to use range of lenses as opposed to being restricted to a single focal length.
Markus got back to me yesterday and said that it isn't impossible to use larger primes, just might need to be extra cautious, which is of course a bonus.

Montag: Thank you for sharing the link! Great stuff!
Ed: actually..that did the trick! I am ordering it!!

Ed2: Just made the payment. Will keep you guys posted and hopefuly add few shots when I receive it.

Jan 06, 2011 at 12:18 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

You can use whatever you like, but above 120mm, maybe 150mm, the "image slit" drops off very very rapidly. That's to say, tilt the lens a little and POP the image rapidly darkens at the edges, top and bottom, resembling a blown, old-school TV tube.

It's not what I'd typify as a "cool" effect, it's rather just kind of limiting and useless. But, that's why dedicated TS lenses that I know of, die off around 90mm or so.
Krosavcheg wrote:
Markus got back to me yesterday and said that it isn't impossible to use larger primes, just might need to be extra cautious

Jan 06, 2011 at 01:57 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mirex T/S Adaptor Quick Inquiry

sirimiri wrote:
You can use whatever you like, but above 120mm, maybe 150mm, the "image slit" drops off very very rapidly. That's to say, tilt the lens a little and POP the image rapidly darkens at the edges, top and bottom, resembling a blown, old-school TV tube.

It's not what I'd typify as a "cool" effect, it's rather just kind of limiting and useless. But, that's why dedicated TS lenses that I know of, die off around 90mm or so.

The vignetting or shadowing happens to all focal lengths but yes, sooner at longer focal lengths. I find that about 8 degrees of tilt is about the max you can expect before vignetting with any M645 lens but that's in the vertical plane. It seems you can often tilt more horizontally before the vignetting. It also depends on where you've focused, close to MFD or infinity. Im not sure if this is because of the design of the adapter or simply shadowing from the cameras mirror box itself. I've never really worried about it too much but you do need to keep an eye on it. Some times it can actually work FOR YOU, kind of like an ND grad on the sky. Other times it blends into the shot and you don't even see it.

I started to make up a table with test shots for each lens at each aperture and angle of tilt but I was loosing the will to live. It's much easier to chimp. Chimping gets a bad rap. Remember when we pro's used to shoot 'roids' which was an expensive and slower way to chimp. That wasn't looked down on. And you got to charge for them too! But I digress...

I've used the 150/2.8 A on the Mirex with some tilt and it's fine, to a point.

JJ

Jan 06, 2011 at 02:14 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password