Upload & Sell: Off
p.694 #2 · p.694 #2 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Untitled by F, on Flickr

Dec 07, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.694 #3 · p.694 #3 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Two from yesterday using a Minolta 100-200 AF lens with the LA-EA4 adapter.
Harry Palmer

Mallard Hen.

MallardDrake .

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:32 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.694 #4 · p.694 #4 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

1 - 10-18
2 - Bower 85 1.4
3-5 - Zeiss 55FE

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.694 #5 · p.694 #5 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Sony 35/1.8 OSS @ 1.8:

Dec 09, 2014 at 07:52 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.694 #6 · p.694 #6 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 11
Week 50, Wednesday - Ice Swimming
"The photographic eye, which I've been discussing for whole season, is all about learning your own way of seeing things, applying it to your photography in a more conscious way and bringing greater depth & personal style to your photography. The opposite of using the photographic eye are the numerous images we often take which just 'snapshots' or uninteresting in other ways. Now, when it comes to taking interesting images that in some way manifests one's photographic eye, I'll be first one to admit that most of the shots I take are 'snapshots' indeed and only few of many really satisfy me. I find myself often thinking that a good image cannot be just a flat representation of the reality. Instead the photographer has to add something to it by using photographic means which lifts it beyond a snapshot. The obvious following question is, of course, how one should to do that? [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

Dec 10, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.694 #7 · p.694 #7 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Just got the A6000, Zeise 24/f1.8 and 16-70/f4. Sold all my Canon gear for it and do not regret it. Here are several images from my first few outing with the camera. Super sharp and contrasty. Pardon the PS work

Dec 11, 2014 at 06:49 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.694 #8 · p.694 #8 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Trijicon1 wrote:
Just got the A6000, Zeise 24/f1.8 and 16-70/f4. Sold all my Canon gear for it and do not regret it. Here are several images from my first few outing with the camera. Super sharp and contrasty. Pardon the PS work

What do you think about 16-70/4 lens on A6000? I am kind of on the fence about it in terms of paying a lot of money for a crop lens, but the alternative is being 24-70/4 FE (essentially same price, but can be used on my full frame A7) I hear not so great things about corners on 24-70.

Dec 11, 2014 at 06:56 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.694 #9 · p.694 #9 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I love the 16-70. The range is amazing. Very sharp and the colors are great. I hear what you are saying about the but it's on my camera 80%. The 24mm prime 20% and mostly for in door. If I ever went A7/FF the 16-70 would retain its value... It's a Zeiss. If you can swing it... I'd get it. If not the kit lens if more than capable.

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:11 PM
Trijicon1
• •
p.694 #10 · p.694 #10 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Btw. All these shots were with the 16-70

Dec 11, 2014 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kruschtel

p.694 #11 · p.694 #11 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

The 1670 I had was great at 16mm, good at 70 mm but relatively poor around 24 mm. Even stopped down it was worse than my admittedly very good copy of my 1650 kit zoom.
In the end that made me return it. I might have tested other copies but then Kurt Mungers samples had the same characteristics. Still looking for an used copy bargain though. But since in the mid term I'll go FF makes no sense investing too heavily into APSC. Also, the rumour mill SAR has it that an updated version of the 1650 and 1670 will be announced 2015 and also Sigma filed a patent for an E-Mount 18-55/2.8. The latter might even make me stick with APSC
Since its all about DOF with me...

DSC02758_stitchWeb by zwoliter, on Flickr

Dec 12, 2014 at 03:28 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.694 #12 · p.694 #12 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

After seeing all these images from Jordan, absolutic, and others, I'm leaning towards getting the a6000 to build around as my main kit. I've been in a GAS rut lately, going from the D810, which I loved the FF look and the resolution was amazing, but it was a burden to carry/use. My daughter is closing in on 2 years now and running after her is a big task and even harder to do carrying a FF DSLR around my shoulder. After I sold it, I missed it, and was right about to repurchase it all over again, this time with the 24-70 for maximum IQ. Threw around the idea of a D750 for something smaller. Was right about to hit Buy Now, when I decided against it. I sat down and looked at the pictures that I took over the past 2 years and went back to what I used when my daughter was born and it was a NEX-6 with the Zeiss 24. Brought back some great memories. Most of my early pictures of my daughter are with that combo.

What really sealed the necessity to downsize for me is the fact that we're due for our second child in July. So the thought of having a big DSLR with a bag full of FF lenses isn't an option right now and probably won't be for at least a few years until they're older.

With the price drop on the a6000, it's almost a no brainer. I priced together a full kit of the a6000 with the 16-50, the 55-210, 35, 50, 20 pancake, and used copies of the 16-70, 24, and the 10-18 used and it's cheaper than the D810 plus a single prime (obviously there is a big difference in both the sensor size, the ergonomics, and etc). But a set with 8 lenses will be incredibly versatile and lightweight.

If/when the a7000 is released next year I could sell the a6000 and only take a slight loss or even send the a6000 to get IR converted. I'm almost at a point that I want to say that I don't need the FF look/weight and if I had to choose between the low light performance of a FF system but dealing with the slower AF/weight of the A7 series or the faster AF but worse high iso and noise with the APS-C setup, then I'm going to choose the a6000 for the price/weight. Then when the kids are older hopefully mirrorless has advanced where I won't feel the necessity to look at FF.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.694 #13 · p.694 #13 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

TMaG82 wrote:
After seeing all these images from Jordan, absolutic, and others, I'm leaning towards getting the a6000 to build around as my main kit.
With the price drop on the a6000, it's almost a no brainer. I priced together a full kit of the a6000 with the 16-50, the 55-210, 35, 50, 20 pancake, and used copies of the 16-70, 24, and the 10-18 used and it's cheaper than the D810 plus a single prime (obviously there is a big difference in both the sensor size, the ergonomics, and etc). But a set with 8 lenses will be incredibly versatile and
...Show more

I seriously think the days of DSLRs for most people are numbered. I have a 2.5-year-old (very fast one that never stops - never ever - only when he goes to sleep). Usually when you go out with a child you have things to carry already. To have a DSLR also bouncing on you with couple of lenses is a major hindrance, your wife is yelling, "never mind the damn camera, watch your child!!!!" and the camera bounces on you and hits everything around you. I embraced mirrorless and while I've kept DSLRs for most time, they are less and less use. In fact with a last trade I did here, I am all mirrorless. The AF on A6000 other than in low light is equal to the best DSLRs I've had by the way.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.694 #14 · p.694 #14 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I think APS-C is really a great sweet spot...I don't miss FF at all (on the contrary, I get annoyed having to stop down more than I'd like when I need more DOF), especially with my fast Fuji primes which make up my main kit.

The a6000 is a great little camera, and at the current prices it's an insane value. I honestly feel that the A7 train, while an excellent system, is a bit overrated considering the quality of prints I get from the a6000 and my Fuji gear. Both produce large prints that look incredible, and the a6000 shots have tremendous amounts of detail when used with good lenses.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.694 #15 · p.694 #15 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Jman13 wrote:
I think APS-C is really a great sweet spot...I don't miss FF at all (on the contrary, I get annoyed having to stop down more than I'd like when I need more DOF), especially with my fast Fuji primes which make up my main kit.

The a6000 is a great little camera, and at the current prices it's an insane value. I honestly feel that the A7 train, while an excellent system, is a bit overrated considering the quality of prints I get from the a6000 and my Fuji gear. Both produce large prints that look incredible, and the a6000
...Show more

I respectfully disagree regarding A6000 - I think A7 series produced photos of much better image quality, seriously different level, especially my A7r. Fuji of course is closer to A7 and Fuji is unmatched in color out of the camera.

By the way, I tested A6000 last night vs my XT1 since I have 55 1.8 Zeiss and 56 1.2 Fuj, so I have two same size sensor'd cameras that just happen to have same fl lenses. So I put 55FE on A6000 and 56 1.2 on XT1, and tried to compare AF, I tried it first at F/2.0 on both lenses, and then wide open (F/2.0 to make things equal) and tried single AF, continous AF, every possible size of focus window, with and without face recognition.

You have to test it to believe it. I thought my XT1 was pretty fast with 56 1.2. It is not even a contest, XT1 with 56 1.2 is seriously like a turtle compared to A6000 with 55 1.8. I mean by the time XT1 and 56 focuses, A6000 and 55 1.8 can take 3 shots perfectly focused. The AF is so much better it is in a different league altogether. And I thought these two cameras were close!!!! Not close at all. That was inside my living room at night so the light was not ideal.

On the other hand, when I looked at my results, Out of camera Fuji came out of course amazing colors sharpness contrast, beautiful. Sony came out great sharpness, but contrast and colors etc, all needed pp work and even then could not match the Fuji colors.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.694 #16 · p.694 #16 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

absolutic wrote:
I respectfully disagree regarding A6000 - I think A7 series produced photos of much better image quality, seriously different level, especially my A7r.

+1

That's why I have and use both an A6000 and an A7R. If I didn't see a difference, I'd have sold my A7R. (And if my A7R focused as well as the A6000 and didn't have the awful 1/8 second shutter lag, I wouldn't have bought the A6000.)

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.694 #17 · p.694 #17 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I didn't mean it that way. I meant more that the quality is already so good right now on APS-C and the value so good on things like the a6000 that the need for many photographers to go to full frame is overstated. I know the A7 has notable better image quality.

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.694 #18 · p.694 #18 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Jman13 wrote:
I didn't mean it that way. I meant more that the quality is already so good right now on APS-C and the value so good on things like the a6000 that the need for many photographers to go to full frame is overstated. I know the A7 has notable better image quality.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say then. For many photographers, the need to go to APS-C is overstated, the iPhone is enough. That doesn't mean that APS-C or FF for that matter is not the right tool for others. This is the problem I have with general statements like this. What tool is best or even what tool is "good enough" is too dependent on the uses, needs and desires of the photographer, which differ greatly from person to person. I'm not sure what good it is to make a statement about "many photographers," because there will be another many for whom that statement does not apply.

Dec 12, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.694 #19 · p.694 #19 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Jeff Kott wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say then. For many photographers, the need to go to APS-C is overstated, the iPhone is enough. That doesn't mean that APS-C or FF for that matter is not the right tool for others. This is the problem I have with general statements like this. What tool is best or even what tool is "good enough" is too dependent on the uses, needs and desires of the photographer, which differ greatly from person to person. I'm not sure what good it is to make a statement about "many photographers," because there will
...Show more

I guess I was putting less stock in my statement than you are...it was just a quick off-the-cuff remark. . I more or less was thinking of the extreme amount of hype that has surrounded full frame the past few years. It's definitely something that is desirable and the right tool for quite a few photographers...but there are just as many who get pulled onto the full-frame train because 'it's the best, and I have to have the best' when their needs would be better served by something else, or would be served just as well by something else. It's not a judgement on anyone's decision to go one way or another.

Dec 12, 2014 at 03:51 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.694 #20 · p.694 #20 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

absolutic wrote:
I seriously think the days of DSLRs for most people are numbered. I have a 2.5-year-old (very fast one that never stops - never ever - only when he goes to sleep). Usually when you go out with a child you have things to carry already. To have a DSLR also bouncing on you with couple of lenses is a major hindrance, your wife is yelling, "never mind the damn camera, watch your child!!!!" and the camera bounces on you and hits everything around you. I embraced mirrorless and while I've kept DSLRs for most time, they are less and
...Show more

I think I need to put that old school mentality behind me of 'bigger camera = better results'. It's a reason I went straight to the D810 instead of a D7100 or D610. Fantastic image quality, but burdensome. I remember carrying the D810 in a big backpack on vacation to San Diego and the entire bag weighing 15-20 lbs (granted I had non-photo stuff in the bag as well). Walking around Sea World I was almost glad my daughter was walking around, just so I could rest the bag on her seat.

I lol'd when you wrote about the wife yelling. She does the same to me. Last time I was in the science center I was trying to take pictures of my daughter with the D810 and my wife was yelling at me to stop taking pictures and watch the child. Of course when I was done, I was taking off the bag, and gently putting the equipment back in the bag, since I was swinging around $4000+ worth of gear. An entire 8 lens kit including the a6000 would cost about what my D810 costs. And I kid myself when I try to rationalize that I 'need' the FF DSLR, especially when I show pictures to my wife off my Synology NAS and my wife is only ever looking at the pictures that I take on an iPad mini.

I'm going to go and try and shoot around with the a6000 this weekend. I need to embrace the fact that I don't need a FF dslr, I probably don't even need an a7 series.

Dec 12, 2014 at 03:57 PM
1       2       3              693      
       695              838       839       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              693      
       695              838       839       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.