1       2       3              673      
       675              838       839       end

Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

sholt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.674 #1 · p.674 #1 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

taran wrote:
@sholt and kalainen, both you all are making a great series, I hope you consolidate what you are posting here in book form or something at the end of the summer, it is something you should both be proud of.

Shows real sticktoitivness.

Taran-
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate the compliment all the more coming from someone whose work I admire! I do plan to do a printed album when I feel like I've got enough material.

Jul 15, 2014 at 03:23 AM
photoomaha
• • •
p.674 #2 · p.674 #2 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

2 more wedding images from Saturday. I have been using the Nex style for the past two years for all my professional work. I was very happy with the Nex 6 and 7, but the A6000 is definitely a huge improvement. Changing settings is faster than ever and I rarely need to get into the menu while working. One of the biggest changes for me, I trust the autofocus. I have never, even with Canon before, been willing to trust continuous autofocus. With the A6000, I can trust AF-C and Face Detection to nail the couple as they move around the room. Really happy with how it works for me in most situations.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.674 #3 · p.674 #3 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Dave, your wedding images are great. I really enjoy the image of the couple, looking slightly down, at the window, What lens or lenses did you use for those? Any fill-in flash for that particular wedding?

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
photoomaha
• • •
p.674 #4 · p.674 #4 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Thanks! No flash was used during the day, that evening I did use a remote Vivitar with pocket wizards for the formal dances. My 'go-to' lenses for a wedding day, the Zeiss 24mm 1.8, Sony 35mm 1.8 and the Sony 50mm 1.8. I could probably shoot the whole day on the 35mm, but sometimes like a touch different look. Thanks for the comment!

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.674 #5 · p.674 #5 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Daan B wrote:
That is great… never heard that is possible. How does it work?

High speed sync, via one of the larger external speedlights like the HVL-43m or 60m. Same thing you can do with most Canikon speedlights. Really isn't too special to Sony.

HSS basically just strobes the flash really fast, greatly reduces the output, but does let you sync at faster speeds than the x-sync speed.

Cameras with a leaf shutter, like the Fuji X100, the Sony RX1, Sony RX100 et al., don't have this limitation and can sync the flash up to max shutter speed. Makes them very useful for being able to even overpower the sun, and/or shoot wide open with flash.

Otherwise, if your dealing with the pop-up flash, or smaller externals, your stuck at the x-sync, so that means you need to stop down to like f11 to shoot in the sun at 1/250th to keep the flash balanced with the ambient.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Nex Barker
• •
p.674 #6 · p.674 #6 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Flower

© Nex Barker 2014

Nex 5R + VC Close Focus Adapter + Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5

Jul 15, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #7 · p.674 #7 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

taran wrote:
@sholt and kalainen, both you all are making a great series, I hope you consolidate what you are posting here in book form or something at the end of the summer, it is something you should both be proud of.

Thanks for the kind words, Taran! As I'm sure you already know, these pictures are part of my one year expedition 'Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography'. I still have half a year left, but when I'm done, I'm sure I will print myself a book about my adventure. So far, my project has been great, but also quite exhausting once in a while..

Loving your stuff as well.. :-)

-Toni

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:00 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #8 · p.674 #8 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Season of Summer Light
Week 29, Wednesday - Head in the clouds
"If creativity is thinking 'outside-of-the-box', it needs the limits that define the box in the first place. For me enclosed playgrounds with limited amount equipment and Aura's interest for them define the box in which I have to act to make pictures of her playing. During the two years I've been taking so many pictures in playgrounds that the normal ones, like Aura filling bucket with the sand shovel, doesn't cut anymore. After hundreds of pictures playgrounds have become so familiar that it becomes pretty challenging to photograph something that hasn't been taken before. But truth to be told, I find this a very absorbing challenge, because I can sit down in peace, watch her play and think about new ways to approach the all so familiar situation. [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.674 #9 · p.674 #9 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

millsart wrote:
High speed sync, via one of the larger external speedlights like the HVL-43m or 60m. Same thing you can do with most Canikon speedlights. Really isn't too special to Sony.

HSS basically just strobes the flash really fast, greatly reduces the output, but does let you sync at faster speeds than the x-sync speed.

Cameras with a leaf shutter, like the Fuji X100, the Sony RX1, Sony RX100 et al., don't have this limitation and can sync the flash up to max shutter speed. Makes them very useful for being able to even overpower the sun, and/or shoot wide open with
...Show more

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it was HSS.

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:05 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.674 #10 · p.674 #10 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Took the A6000 out in the yard with my son to test the face detection capabilities of the camera. I've had mixed success with face detection on most cameras, especially once you get close and have shallow DOF. I have to say the A6000 has the best face detection I've seen. Nearly every shot was dead on in focus on the closest eye. They've done a great job with their algorithm. Even in the one profile shot, where he's tilted slightly away and only part of his eye is visible, focus is still on his iris. Really impressive. In what will be a surprise to no one, I'm still incredibly impressed with the Sigma 60mm. It's a brilliant optic. I tried out the FE 55/1.8 today in my local store and was somewhat unimpressed to be honest (though I only shot it at f/1.8). Lots of LoCA at f/1.8, and while it's very even across the frame, it's only about as sharp at f/1.8 as my Fuji 56/1.2 is at f/1.2. (Which is fairly sharp, but I expected better from a $1000 f/1.8 lens). Still, I'll need to get a review sample of that lens.

Anyway, some of the shots. All except the last are with the Sigma 60. The last is with the 18-105@105mm.

(It wasn't all fun and games - ha!)

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

akclimber
• • • •
p.674 #11 · p.674 #11 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

JVillPhoto1 wrote:
Great Photos. I just grabbed the 16-70 recently and hope to get the 10-18 to cover that range as well. What primes do you also carry in your kit? My ideal set up would be 10-18 f4, 16-70 f4, 24 1.8Z, 50 1.8. and maybe the 55-210 for those rare telephoto shots.

Thanks! I'm just using the two zooms right now. I bought the A6000 with which to try out the mirrorless way of things and altho I'm really enjoying the A6000 I'm still primarily a DSLR guy and don't (yet) want to invest any more heavily in E mount lenses (I've got Canon and Nikon adapters I can use for some of my primes). But I do keeping thinking about the 50 f/1.8 OSS since it's a focal length I like, it's pretty fast, I like AF, appreciate OSS and it seems to be very fair price. A fast wide would be nice as well but not really needed right now by me. Other lenses I keep thinking about are the 70-200 f/4 FE and 55 f/1.8 FE. The 70-200, being a 100-300 equivalent, would make for an OK whale/critter lens and the 55 is just drool worthy :-)

Cheers!

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:44 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.674 #12 · p.674 #12 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Took the A6000 out in the yard with my son to test the face detection capabilities of the camera. I've had mixed success with face detection on most cameras, especially once you get close and have shallow DOF. I have to say the A6000 has the best face detection I've seen. Nearly every shot was dead on in focus on the closest eye. They've done a great job with their algorithm. Even in the one profile shot, where he's tilted slightly away and only part of his eye is visible, focus is still on his iris. Really impressive. In what
...Show more

I think you sold me on the 60 Sigma

Jul 15, 2014 at 07:56 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.674 #13 · p.674 #13 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

55/1.8 is a bit more impressive on a FF body, tried it on my A6000 and it didn't really impress me much more than the far cheaper sony 50/1.8.

Works fantastic on the less dense 24 meg A7 sensor though.

All of the cheap Sigma's I've tried have had impressive optics, unreal for the low prices they charge.

Only downside is Sony's lack of IBIS

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:11 PM
wizardofoz

p.674 #14 · p.674 #14 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Kalainen wrote:
Season of Summer Light
Week 27, Wednesday - Rainy days
"It's been cold and rainy weather for couple of days and not like typical summer weather. In Finland this means temperatures from 10 to 15 Celsius (50-60 on a Fahrenheit scale) and couple of millimeters of water on an average rainy day. It's too cold and wet to go outside, so we need to stay in and find something else to do. So because of weather we went to local market square and got some peas to Aura. [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

Toni - I really like the lighting and colors on this image. Nicely done

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.674 #15 · p.674 #15 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I started longing my sneaky,trusted NEXes and eventually took them out for a walk.

NEX5N+Rokkor 135/2.8

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.674 #16 · p.674 #16 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Two very different subjects. First, my son playing piano. A6000 with Rokinon 85/1.4:

And now a bug on some flowers (Sigma 60):

And a version created from the above just by cropping:

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:30 PM
bert85

p.674 #17 · p.674 #17 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Manhattan Skyline by Night with A6000 and Sel1855:

Manhattan Skyline von Um Berto auf Flickr

Jul 17, 2014 at 01:28 AM
dragion
• •
p.674 #18 · p.674 #18 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

J...nothin' to say (speechless)

Jul 17, 2014 at 01:34 AM
dragion
• •
p.674 #19 · p.674 #19 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Beautiful skyline Bert!

Jul 17, 2014 at 01:35 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.674 #20 · p.674 #20 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Picked up an $75 NEX3 body to use it with my Rokkor 58 1.2, I am really impressed with this little thing

All are at high ISO (1600) and f/2

Jul 17, 2014 at 08:51 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.