675              715       716       end

NEX Images Thread

Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.674 #1 · p.674 #1 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 8
Week 48, Saturday - The Punctum
"In his book Camera Lucida Barthes has come up with a great term for a specific photographic quality that describes a certain ideal what I'm trying to capture with my family photography. This term is punctum and it could perhaps be translated to sting, stab or bite. In Barthes's thinking punctum relates to essence of photography and to describe this term, I'm going to offer a very similar kind of example which Barthes gives in his book – it's pure coincidence is that I too happen to have a similar kind of picture which Barthes uses in his book to explain the punctum. [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.674 #2 · p.674 #2 · NEX Images Thread

NEX-5N + 55mm FE. Two sides of Vegas:

Dec 01, 2014 at 01:31 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #3 · p.674 #3 · NEX Images Thread

Very nice images and interesting choice for the lens, snapsy! Should make a very nice portrait lens on 5N. If it only had OSS it would be a lens made in heaven...

-Toni

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #4 · p.674 #4 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 9
Week 49, Wednesday - The Photographic experience
"In previous post I told you about Roland Barthes, the French intellectual and philosopher, who has tried to explain the essence of photography and devised the term punctum to describe the unique feelings photography can bring up in us. Being especially a French philosopher his writings can be pretty abstract, but I do like what Barthes is trying to explain with his winding words. I myself used this term for my own purposes when I tried to describe what I am (ideally) searching for when taking family photographs – a certain sting that makes one see being, life and time in a lucid way. At best, photographs have that sort of effect on us. But what Barthes is really trying to do, is to create a new kind of understanding of photography that doesn't rely on any existing theories of art or cultural studies. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:17 PM
shac

p.674 #5 · p.674 #5 · NEX Images Thread

Nex 6 with Nikon 500 f 4 Ai-P and 1.4 converter - shot this afternoon - not as sharp as I'd hoped

Dec 04, 2014 at 05:14 AM
BbICEP

p.674 #6 · p.674 #6 · NEX Images Thread

NEX-5n.

Stitched:

Dec 04, 2014 at 08:00 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #7 · p.674 #7 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 10
Week 49, Saturday - Vintage
"While the basic books of photography offer very useful knowledge, they often doesn't really touch the question of photographic eye: the individual way of seeing the world and things around us. The photographic eye is more about what you feel is worth of photographing, how you look it and what you expect to see in it. It might be difficult to answer of the bat, but the more you concentrate on what happens inside your mind during the shooting and how you value/rationalize the pictures you've taken, the better you start to learn why you shoot the way you do. In the following I have tried to come up with different kind of ways to see your subject through camera's viewfinder. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 05, 2014 at 09:53 PM
BbICEP

p.674 #8 · p.674 #8 · NEX Images Thread

Dec 06, 2014 at 03:15 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #9 · p.674 #9 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 11
Week 50, Wednesday - Ice Swimming
"The photographic eye, which I've been discussing for whole season, is all about learning your own way of seeing things, applying it to your photography in a more conscious way and bringing greater depth & personal style to your photography. The opposite of using the photographic eye are the numerous images we often take which just 'snapshots' or uninteresting in other ways. Now, when it comes to taking interesting images that in some way manifests one's photographic eye, I'll be first one to admit that most of the shots I take are 'snapshots' indeed and only few of many really satisfy me. I find myself often thinking that a good image cannot be just a flat representation of the reality. Instead the photographer has to add something to it by using photographic means which lifts it beyond a snapshot. The obvious following question is, of course, how one should to do that? [...]"

-Toni

Dec 10, 2014 at 08:35 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #10 · p.674 #10 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 12
Week 50, Saturday - Fantasies in dark
"With the previous post I wrote about different ways how one can lift an ordinary snapshot to another level and convey that photographic eye into his/her photography. My answers where quite general like constructing a skillful images, evoking reactions and creating pictures that have more than one level of experience. It made me think how I approach the photography in a certain situation myself. How do I find that photographic eye in a practical level? It's difficult to explain really, but here's my explanation. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kalainen
• •
p.674 #11 · p.674 #11 · NEX Images Thread

It might be that I'm the last person in earth with a NEX camera...

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 13
Week 51, Wednesday - Modern human
"In the core of photographic eye is the visual taste. Having a refined visual taste is arguably one of the most important factors that guide one's photography - creative as well as technical decisions. Having a certain taste convoyed through your photographic eye separates you from other people, and in the end, has a potential to make your photography personal and unique. However, it's very difficult to define taste with words. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 16, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Peire
• • • •
p.674 #12 · p.674 #12 · NEX Images Thread

Kalainen wrote:
It might be that I'm the last person in earth with a NEX camera...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7508/15850671440_a754069655_b_d.jpg

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 13
Week 51, Wednesday - Modern human
"In the core of photographic eye is the visual taste. Having a refined visual taste is arguably one of the most important factors that guide one's photography - creative as well as technical decisions. Having a certain taste convoyed through your photographic eye separates you from other people, and in the end, has a potential to make your photography personal and unique. However, it's very difficult to define taste with words. [...]"

Read full post at
...Show more

I still have my 2 NEX5Ns and the NEX7.Don't be afraid.

Dec 17, 2014 at 05:48 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #13 · p.674 #13 · NEX Images Thread

Peire wrote:
I still have my 2 NEX5Ns and the NEX7.Don't be afraid.

Glad to see I'm not alone here. Just don't say that you're about to upgrade to A7II ...

-Toni

Dec 19, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #14 · p.674 #14 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 14
Week 51, Saturday - Christmas coming - everything on sale
"If 'photographic eye' is the noun for the thing I've been discussing for this whole season, then the 'photographic intention' is the verb for the same thing. Couple of post earlier I wrote about 'hunting' for circumstances and pictures that would describe my photographic eye. Now that I have thought about it more, it seems the 'intention' is even better term to describe the process where I try to come up with pictures that exemplify my personal way of seeing things. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 19, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Peire
• • • •
p.674 #15 · p.674 #15 · NEX Images Thread

I have two A7s for more than one year now and though I noticed that A7M2 has slightly better corner performance with wa lenses,IS and much less reflections from the sensor in the night scenes with artificial lighting,I'm yet not ready to upgrade.I think I can easily replace all those with the aid of computer I wear between my ears.The only sad thing about NEXes is that I use them pretty seldom now - bigger format is something that I always preferred.

But,the APS-C kit is always ready on my desk - the NEX5N,Sigma 19/2.8 and three Zeisses G mounted on adapters - 28/2.8,45/2 and 90/2.8.

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #16 · p.674 #16 · NEX Images Thread

Peire wrote:
I have two A7s for more than one year now and though I noticed that A7M2 has slightly better corner performance with wa lenses,IS and much less reflections from the sensor in the night scenes with artificial lighting,I'm yet not ready to upgrade.I think I can easily replace all those with the aid of computer I wear between my ears.The only sad thing about NEXes is that I use them pretty seldom now - bigger format is something that I always preferred.

But,the APS-C kit is always ready on my desk - the NEX5N,Sigma 19/2.8 and three Zeisses G mounted on
...Show more
Hah, I knew it! Sooner of later I'm going to be the last person on earth with dinosaur-age Nex-5N. Seriously speaking, I like the 5N even when there are better/newer models out there. 5N + Touit 2.8/50M just brings so perfect colors that I'm not sure A7 with native FE can match it. And while it would be interesting to upgrade, I might miss the perfect output of this combination.

-Toni

Dec 19, 2014 at 09:45 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #17 · p.674 #17 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 15
Week 52, Wednesday - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
"The last week of my project starts. I will still concentrate on ‘photographic eye’ for this week and share the final post of this project next week at December 31st. I have to say this year has been pretty exciting (and wearing) in terms of photography, but before I can look back what I’ve done and what has happened, I need to continue about the photographic eye for this week and create a closure for this season.

I have been writing a lot about certain themes regarding the photographic eye. The problem of photographic eye, that is the difficulty of finding a certain identifiable personal style in your photography, has of course been the key subject. Besides that I’ve been contemplating quite a lot about the process of actual shooting, visual motifs, ideas and repertoires. However, what I haven’t yet discussed about is what happens after the shooting. [...]"

-Toni

Dec 23, 2014 at 08:23 PM
Kruschtel

p.674 #18 · p.674 #18 · NEX Images Thread

Hi Toni,

except for the sluggish AF, the 5N still delivers great images, especially at night.

Best wishes and merry Christmas to all of you

Christian

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:43 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.674 #19 · p.674 #19 · NEX Images Thread

Kruschtel wrote:
Hi Toni,

except for the sluggish AF, the 5N still delivers great images, especially at night.

Best wishes and merry Christmas to all of you

Christian

Hi Christian and thanks for the comment. Yep, the 5N is very nice camera even when it's 'old' and mpt the newest generation. I was'nt too serious about having to face lonely death with the 5N. In fact I've been amazed how great colors the 5N delivers with Touit 2.8/50M that I'm not sure A7 with native Sony/Zeiss would give as nice colors. Of course I haven't tested so I can't be sure, but in terms of image quality alone, 5N with Touit up there with the best and I have nothing critisize about it. AF speed is of course different thing.. Especially with the Touit.

Merry Christmas to you too!!

-Toni

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:28 PM
Peire
• • • •
p.674 #20 · p.674 #20 · NEX Images Thread

To me the NEX5N will always be a memorable camera.Unique combination of small size,simplicity,durability and great,mature image quality.I like it much more than imperfect NEX7 and 'am grateful for what it brought into my photographic attempts.Merry Christmas!

Tamron SP 300/5.6 Macro+NEX5N

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:49 PM
1       2       3              673      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              673      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password