674              715       716       end

NEX Images Thread

Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.673 #1 · p.673 #1 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 1
Week 45, Wednesday - Introducing the last season
"Tampere is also my home town and constitutes a creative limit of my last theme called Season of Photographic Eye. With this season I will be exploring the streets and other places of my home town. I will circulate small alleys, wander around town squares and explore other places of interest. The city of Tampere with its diversity will be my playground for the last season and I will be exploring it during the night time mostly. In some ways this theme is also dictated by the current natural season in Finland. This time of year in Finland there isn't a lot of light during the days, and if there is it's mostly grey and comes together with rain. It does set up a challenge for photography, but I hope to make it through until the snow comes. In effect, the last season will be a sort of street photography, but done with my way.

As I'm exploring the streets, I will also try to open up my photographic eye: a particular way of seeing things and subjects, which is partly subjective and partly cultural. I will try to explain to myself how I approach the photography the way I do. My aim is to make myself more conscious about it and hopefully offer some inspiration for others to contemplate their own photographic eye. [...]"

Read full post at my blog: http://www.yearofthealpha.com

-Toni

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.673 #2 · p.673 #2 · NEX Images Thread

Anybody want an L bracket for a Nex 7?

Snowboarder was kind enough to give me his JTec L bracket when he sold his Nex 7. I just sold my Nex 7 and want to keep the good Karma going by passing it along at no charge to another FMer with a Nex 7 and a tripod. If you want it, PM me. First come, first served. (I'll send it US Mail, CONUS only).

PS (it works great).

Nov 06, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.673 #3 · p.673 #3 · NEX Images Thread

PM sent.
Harry Palmer

Nov 06, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Nex Barker
• •
p.673 #4 · p.673 #4 · NEX Images Thread

BASI

Nex Barker 2014

Nex 5R + Metabones Speedbooster + Carl Zeiss 35/2.8 T*

Nov 07, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #5 · p.673 #5 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 2
Week 45, Saturday - Streets
"During this season I will discuss my photographic eye: a particular way of seeing things and subjects, which is partly subjective and partly cultural. I will try to explain how I approach the photography the way I do and I hope it's useful for others too. But to understand my way of seeing things I have to revive the history a bit and start from the beginning. You see, before my current Sony Nex-5N I had never owned a camera myself and if I had to use one I always loaned it from someone. Even my first real experience with photography happened with a loaned camera. [...]"

-Toni

Nov 07, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Olaf G
• •
p.673 #6 · p.673 #6 · NEX Images Thread

Some old shots from Cuba with my Nex-5n.

Don't use it anymore that often (prefer the A7), but it will go on our next trip as a backup camera (just bought a used EVF for it).

Olaf G 2014

Havana, Heliar 75mm/f2.5

Olaf G 2014

Havana, Ultron 35mm/f1.7

Olaf G 2014

Vinales, Heliar 75mm/f2.5

Nov 08, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Nex Barker
• •
p.673 #7 · p.673 #7 · NEX Images Thread

Sunday Walk

Nex Barker 2014

Nex 5 R + CV 21/4 f4

Nov 09, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #8 · p.673 #8 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 3
Week 46, Wednesday - Searching for colors
"With the last post I told you about my first significant experience with photography and how I used an antique Canon Powershot 600 (1996) to make an art exhibition. The second significant experience with photography happened to me when I was leaving from Finland to Japan to study as an exchange student at 2006. I'm not very happy to travel with airplanes so instead of flying I decided to take a train from Finland to Japan with Trans-Siberian railway (and of course I needed a boat at the end from China to Japan). Knowing I was going for an unforgettable trip I needed to solve how I was going to photograph the adventure. [...]"

-Toni

Nov 11, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.673 #9 · p.673 #9 · NEX Images Thread

Nov 14, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.673 #10 · p.673 #10 · NEX Images Thread

Nov 15, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kalainen
• •
p.673 #11 · p.673 #11 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 4
Week 46, Saturday - Searching for reason
"I didn't pick up any camera for a long time after my experiments with a cheap analog camera and Velvia 50. After many years doing something else, I did get excited with some of my friends DSLR. We did some photography like HDR panoramas and I recognized, again, my potential inspiration for photography but even if it was fun it didn't really trigger my own pursue for photography. It wasn't lucid to me then, but now I see very clear: I didn't have any real reason to shoot nor did I have a 'real purpose' for my photography. Of course I could have bought the camera and go shoot sun sets for example. But for what reason? [...]"

-Toni

Nov 16, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Nex Barker
• •
p.673 #12 · p.673 #12 · NEX Images Thread

@Phillip: Nice wilderness in OWL ;-)

@FM: I suggest to close this Thread and merge it with A7x Thread. Look at Phillips photos with A6000. Can anybody really see a difference ?

Edited on Nov 16, 2014 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:10 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.673 #13 · p.673 #13 · NEX Images Thread

Nex Barker wrote:
@Phillip: Nice wilderness in OWL ;-)

@FM: I suggest to close this Thread and merge it with A7x Thread. Look at Phillips Fotos with A6000. Can anybody really see a difference ?

Hehe, personally I still think that there is something like a fullframe look and the a6000 is only a loaner from Sony, so in 10 days or so I will be using my a7 again.
I have to admit though that it is nice to have a compact and great lens like the SEL1018, I only wished that it was a manual focus lens with OSS

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Nex Barker
• •
p.673 #14 · p.673 #14 · NEX Images Thread

@ Phillip: Yes and no. Take a lens with a strong Field Curvature and the difference is mostly gone

Nex Barker 2014

Nex 5 R + CV 35/1.4

Nov 16, 2014 at 07:15 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #15 · p.673 #15 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 5
Week 47, Wednesday - The Station
"To understand my goal for this season you need to know that I believe everyone, no matter the level of photography, has a photographic eye: the way of seeing and feeling photographic things that makes their approach to photography unique. Learning your own way of seeing and photographing is something that will strengthen your identity as a photographer and hopefully guide you out from the sea of general and self-evident 'tourists shots' (which we all take). To be conscious about your own photographic eye, leads you to create pictures that tell, not only about the subject, also about the photographer as well. [...]"

-Toni

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #16 · p.673 #16 · NEX Images Thread

Confused if this thread should be moved or not... Anyway, here's the picture..

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 6
Week 47, Saturday - The Purification
"The problem with learning your photographic eye is somewhat similar to what early art photography had in the eyes of its critics. It was difficult to justify photography as an art form because it didn't yet have its visual language and some of the early critics claimed that photography cannot ever be an art form because it doesn't take any refined skills to push a button. To establish photography's place next to other art forms, photographers had, not only to create distinctive works, but also to develop photographic theories which were often pretty philosophical and declamatory. Take 'the decisive moment' by Henri Cartier-Bresson, for example. [...]"

Nov 21, 2014 at 09:49 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.673 #17 · p.673 #17 · NEX Images Thread

Nov 24, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #18 · p.673 #18 · NEX Images Thread

Lovely as always Phillip!! :-)

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:45 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.673 #19 · p.673 #19 · NEX Images Thread

Season of Photographic Eye - Picture 7
Week 48, Wednesday - Slush
"In previous post I discussed the relationship with photographic eye and art. Today I'm going to look the problem of photographic eye through a another related concept: photographers identity. One can say that photographer has a strong identity when people recognize his/her work from the photographs alone. Maybe it's the distinctive style, way to photographer handles the subject or the subject in itself all in all it means that photographer doesn't just capture the objects and things front of his camera, but instead imposes his/her personal interpretation into a photographs he creates. One could also say that photographer who manages to do that has found his/her photographic eye and utilizes it through photography.

If you want to be a commercially successful photographer with a distinctive identity and style, the path into that is somewhat easy to outline: [...]"

-Toni

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:46 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.673 #20 · p.673 #20 · NEX Images Thread

For other reasons I was going trough my files as I ran into this one.

Nov 27, 2014 at 07:38 PM
1       2       3              672      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              672      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password