Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              615      
       617              686       687       end

NEX Images Thread

SKumar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.616 #1 · NEX Images Thread

Taylor, may I ask what lenses you're using for Nex?

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.616 #2 · NEX Images Thread

Sure - here's the list

M mount: CV15, 21 Super-Elmar, 28 Summicron, CV 35/1.2, ZM50, Elmar 135
G: G90
R mount: 35 Cron, 60 Macro-Elmarit (with the Speedbooster)
F mount: ZF 2/100, CV 180/4
E mount: 16+adapters, 35/1.8, 30/3.5, 18-55, 55-210
Touit: 12/2.8

I've used and have sold (or am selling): ZA 24/2, ZM 35/2, CV 50/1.1, Sigma 150-500 OSS, 28/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:29 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #3 · NEX Images Thread

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Sure - here's the list

M mount: CV15, 21 Super-Elmar, 28 Summicron, CV 35/1.2, ZM50, Elmar 135
G: G90
R mount: 35 Cron, 60 Macro-Elmarit (with the Speedbooster)
F mount: ZF 2/100, CV 180/4
E mount: 16+adapters, 35/1.8, 30/3.5, 18-55, 55-210
Touit: 12/2.8

I've used and have sold (or am selling): ZA 24/2, ZM 35/2, CV 50/1.1, Sigma 150-500 OSS, 28/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

Nice set of lenses. How're you finding the 28 cron on Nex?

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:12 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #4 · NEX Images Thread

Nex 6 with Lux 50 Asph

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:14 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.616 #5 · NEX Images Thread

Haven't posted to this thread in a while. This was shot maybe two years ago. (Not 100% sure which lens)

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.616 #6 · NEX Images Thread

SKumar25 wrote:
Nice set of lenses. How're you finding the 28 cron on Nex?

Very good so far. It's replacing the Elmarit. They are very similar in results, though there is much less color cast from the cron - it still needs cornerfix at infinity and f/5.6 but just barely. At closer focus and/or smaller apertures it might not need it.

I liked the 28/2.8 a lot, but it wasn't quite right. Close enough to the 21/3.4 that I'd tend to just go with the latter for the wider FOV. The extra stop on the cron, plus the lower color-cast, will make a big difference.

Also, when I finally get an FF mirrorless I expect that the 28/2 will be my main lens. The 21/3.4 is currently the lens I have the most keeper pictures with on the Nex, and I wouldn't mind it being a little wider and of course 1.5 stops faster won't hurt.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:38 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #7 · NEX Images Thread

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Very good so far. It's replacing the Elmarit. They are very similar in results, though there is much less color cast from the cron - it still needs cornerfix at infinity and f/5.6 but just barely. At closer focus and/or smaller apertures it might not need it.

I liked the 28/2.8 a lot, but it wasn't quite right. Close enough to the 21/3.4 that I'd tend to just go with the latter for the wider FOV. The extra stop on the cron, plus the lower color-cast, will make a big difference.

Also, when I finally get an FF mirrorless I
...Show more

Are you using it on Nex 7?

Aug 12, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.616 #8 · NEX Images Thread

Yep, 7 is what I use most of the time. On the 6, the Elmarit 28 didn't need cornerfix, at least not that I noticed, but I only used that combo on a couple of outings.

Aug 12, 2013 at 05:34 AM
joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.616 #9 · NEX Images Thread

I only took 157 shots with it over the weekend I had it, and there were no controlled or optimal shots - for the most part it was candid snapshots or just shots around the house to see what the scene looked like when shot by the lens/camera. I don't have a big enough set of shots to speak to corner performance or anything like that, because typically the corner/edge areas were not in the plane of focus, and at 90mm-e that shouldn't be a big issue. I didn't find anything technically that made any images objectionable.

But having said that, my first thought is, I really enjoyed it. It was a fun lens to use. Quite easy to focus. My second thought was, it has a hell of a throw for focus by wire. I am used to the 85L, so getting used to the implementation in the sony is still taking me some time, and I still miss shots because I am turning the lens barrel so much.

I've seen reviews that say this lens isn't so sharp wide open, which imho is crazy talk. It is extremely sharp wide open.

A smugmug-resized version of a 100% detail crop:

The thing I would add that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that the lens surprised me in it's ability to render the space of a scene. Fundamentally I am talking about depth/dimension, but I have an idea what will happen
if I put a number in front of the letter d and say this lens has it. Nonetheless, besides the sharpness, the thing about the images that jumped out at me was this depth. If not strictly aesthetically, the effect is very similar in kind to the sigma 50 in it's ability to render a scene almost cinematically.

Prolly not so illustrative:

So I am really looking forward to buying one. I meant alternative to the 85L strictly as a very pleasing portrait lens, and I think it is that, and really enjoyed it for everything else too.

I wonder if there is any chance Sigma will make a 135mm-e lens along the lines of 1.8-2.0 - man I'd snap that one up too.

These examples have no PP other than resizing w/bicubic sharpening, so take them with a grain of salt as illustrative of my subjective thoughts, but maybe they help.

freaklikeme wrote:
Given what most people consider the greatest advantages of the 85L, that would seem to be a fairly tall order for an f/2.8 lens.

No experience, but I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 06:29 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.616 #10 · NEX Images Thread

Lots of good stuff here, but 3 stand out IMHO. Your bird on a wire shot, skumar, is an absolute classic! And your statue shot as well. You really know how to make that Summilux sing! And Mike, your night shot of the plane really stirred my imagination. Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing, Joe. It seems Sigma are really putting out very interesting new lenses, and their price for NEX is compelling.

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #11 · NEX Images Thread

Thank you for your kind words Philippe.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:05 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.616 #12 · NEX Images Thread

Thanks Philippe

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:19 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #13 · NEX Images Thread

joekraft wrote:
The thing I would add that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that the lens surprised me in it's ability to render the space of a scene. Fundamentally I am talking about depth/dimension, but I have an idea what will happen
if I put a number in front of the letter d and say this lens has it. Nonetheless, besides the sharpness, the thing about the images that jumped out at me was this depth. If not strictly aesthetically, the effect is very similar in kind to the sigma 50 in it's ability to render a scene almost cinematically.

Yep, great 3-D look in the shots!

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:23 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.616 #14 · NEX Images Thread

I tried my 28 cron on Nex6 and got to say that it was corner- soft from 2.0 up to 5.6 which is not the case with my M9 (extremely sharp across the frame). I don't think the 28 is a good match for NEX (in my case NEX6). Just my opinion.

Taylor Sherman wrote:

Also, when I finally get an FF mirrorless I
...Show more

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:51 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.616 #15 · NEX Images Thread

Back in Amsterdam acting like a tourist

And came across this older one with the same lens.

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:32 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.616 #16 · NEX Images Thread

Michiel, though I am assuming the trumpeter is playing jazz, that shot just rocks.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:34 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.616 #17 · NEX Images Thread

joekraft wrote:
Michiel, though I am assuming the trumpeter is playing jazz, that shot just rocks.

Yes, he was improvising on a rhytm from his Ipod amplifyed by two big boxes. Quiet good actually.

And thanks!

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:55 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.616 #18 · NEX Images Thread

Just got home from a long trip to San Francisco and Yosemite. Couldn't help but look at the pics and edit just one.

First morning in the valley!

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:34 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #19 · NEX Images Thread

Nice set Michiel!! Some fantastic rendering.

Nice shot plasticmotif, handled DR very well. Looking forward to more!

Edited on Aug 13, 2013 at 04:52 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:39 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.616 #20 · NEX Images Thread

3 from 21 SEM with Nex 6.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:48 AM
       617              686       687       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell