1       2       3              563      
       565              838       839       end

Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.564 #1 · p.564 #1 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

shelt wrote:
Nice, Sebboh. We had a great view of both SF and Sausalito fireworks. I kept swinging my tripod back and forth, and probably missed a lot of good shots... It was a beautiful night -- the fog disappeared right on time!

nice, i missed the second shot in your post till now.

next year we'll have to choose a closer spot, our view was partially blocked by buena vista park.

a shot with the OM 24/2.8 wide open:

and a rare pic with the sigmarit 30mm wide open on a NEX-3, i just thought this combo was surprisingly pretty and nice handling:

on a vaguely related note, does anybody have any recommendations for where to get a NEX converted for IR and/or opinions about whether the NEX-3 or NEX-5N would be better for such a conversion?

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:19 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.564 #2 · p.564 #2 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Sebboh, don't know myself, but there are quiet some people on the Getdpi forum who are working with IR and had there cameras converted. People like Cindy Flood, Scho and Vivek but he does it mostly himself, i believe.

Here are some empty streets from yesterday.

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:35 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.564 #3 · p.564 #3 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

You know this link, Sebboh? They do NEX conversions as well.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:42 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.564 #4 · p.564 #4 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

sculptormic wrote:
You know this link, Sebboh? They do NEX conversions as well.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

thanks! will look into it.

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:28 AM
dkerins

p.564 #5 · p.564 #5 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I have this new Rainbow adapter but when the lens locks into place the lens is not aligned on at the top. Can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:40 PM
briantho
• • •
p.564 #6 · p.564 #6 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Contax 120 macro:

Bumblebee by briantho, on Flickr

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:49 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.564 #7 · p.564 #7 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

dkerins wrote:
I have this new Rainbow adapter but when the lens locks into place the lens is not aligned on at the top. Can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/9225785090_94f7958e9d_b.jpg

I don't recall my adapter/lens lining up like that, can you take a pic of the front with just the adapter mounted to the camera, that should make it easy to see if the adapter was put together differently, if it was, contact the seller.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:20 PM
shelt
• •
p.564 #8 · p.564 #8 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

IIRC, the PEN-NEX adapter can connect in two different places -- one correct, and one not. You might take it apart and see if you can connect it after rotating it a bit.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:44 PM
dkerins

p.564 #9 · p.564 #9 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Thanks for spending time on this for me.

It seems to me that there is only one way to attach the adpater to the camera and only one way to attach a lens to the adapter.

When attaching the lens, the red dots line up nicely and then it turns counter clockwise (from the lens side). The lens red dot rotates past the top of the top of the adapter and locks nicely with a click few degrees past the top of the adapter.

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:23 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.564 #10 · p.564 #10 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

dkerins wrote:

Yes, I have had that happen a number of times and in each case it becomes a task of alligning the adapter to the lens. This is done with three or four tiny set screws on the adapter mounting ring which must be backed off so you can turn the lens to the desired position and set the screws. They are invariably Philips screws which respond to a PH 00 head usually found on a 40-50mm shaft length. They are often so hard to turn that you break eyeglass screwdrivers until you invest in a a higher quality miniature screwdriver something like this http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05118019002-Kraftform-Electronics-Screwdriver/dp/B003ES5M1M Unfortunately some adapters do not allow adjustment.

I keep one on my desk because it will also open many lenses.

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 04:53 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joanlvh
• • •
p.564 #11 · p.564 #11 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

just to confirm for dkerins, the adaptor I have does line up correctly, you can see from the adaptor label that it is not the same as yours, but i have scoured it and cannont find a brand name. I am pretty sure I ordered it from B&H. good luck joanlvh

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:52 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.564 #12 · p.564 #12 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Playing around with my Touit 12mm. I still can't pass judgement on it, as it is so unusual for me. This is what I know so far. In the center, it is wickedly sharp, from very close up to infinity. And close up means close enough to do flowers. It handles contrast and flare unusually well, which is defnitiely useful with a lens this wide. It has quite a bit of 3D, though not necessarily in a spectacular way.
Where I am not yet sure is how sharp it is in the corners, because, so far, I am no in focus in the corners. Ineed to get used to the AF. Or about the amount of detail. My guess is that it lacks very, very fine detail which a Leica would have. But it could just be that it presents it in a different way, because even when I go 100% on my NEX 7, which is very serious magnification, there is a lot of detail everywhere.
Next week, I will try a comparison between it and my ZM 18 on my NEX 5N, and see what gives. But I am already sure it is a keeper.

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:09 PM
dkerins

p.564 #13 · p.564 #13 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I took the three philips screws off of the adapter, on the face that meets the lens. I can turn that silver plate relative to the rest of the adapter but there are only three drilled holes so the plate can only be in three possible positions. And in fact the holes on the two pieces of the adapter only properly align in one of the three possible positions. There doesn't seem to be a way to tweak the alignment of the lens and adapter by shifting the two parts of the adapter.

I think I may have a manufacturing dud.

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:55 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.564 #14 · p.564 #14 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

dkerins wrote:
I took the three philips screws off of the adapter, on the face that meets the lens. I can turn that silver plate relative to the rest of the adapter but there are only three drilled holes so the plate can only be in three possible positions. And in fact the holes on the two pieces of the adapter only properly align in one of the three possible positions. There doesn't seem to be a way to tweak the alignment of the lens and adapter by shifting the two parts of the adapter.

I think I may have a manufacturing
...Show more
It sounds like you removed the silver mounting ring from the end of the adapter. If there are set screws they will be on the side of the adapter on the black barrel. I just looked at one of mine, a FOTGA. They look like empty holes as the screws are quite deeply set. The adapter ring stays in place. As I said, some just can't be adjusted.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:01 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.564 #15 · p.564 #15 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

ebookman wrote:
It sounds like you removed the silver mounting ring from the end of the adapter. If there are set screws they will be on the side of the adapter on the black barrel. I just looked at one of mine, a FOTGA. They look like empty holes as the screws are quite deeply set. The adapter ring stays in place. As I said, some just can't be adjusted.

it's mostly just m39 to e-mount adapters that have set screws like you describe. none of the pen-f to e-mount adapters i've seen have set screws.

dkerins – my pen-f adapter has the same quirk (it's an RJ one that looks identical to yours except for the RJ written on it), it never really bothered me so i had forgotten. i was shooting with it this morning but didn't remember it was misaligned till went back to look right now. i suspect they just didn't have the correct specs for the pen-f mount when they made the adapters (could just be a quality control issue too).

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:13 PM
dkerins

p.564 #16 · p.564 #16 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

There don't appear to be any screws on the black part of the adapter as you describe.. I don't think it is adjustable.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.564 #17 · p.564 #17 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Some fun with fireworks, using the SEL35F18:

DSC00739.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC00748.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC00740.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.564 #18 · p.564 #18 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

^^ cool!

here's a few shots from the pen f 42/1.2 from this morning, all wide open:

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.564 #19 · p.564 #19 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Thanks! I like the look of the dinosaur on that last one.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:38 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.564 #20 · p.564 #20 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

This is my first experience with a tilt/shift adapter. I am still trying to figure out what it can do. This particular adapter is for Minolta MD to Nex. I am using a Rokkor-X 45mm f/2 lens. One shot is on the horizonal plane and one shot verticle. It can of course do everything in between.

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.