africa 12.28.123896 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

africa 1.3.137064 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

africa 12.25.122152 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
photoomaha
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.476 #3 · p.476 #3 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Luta, absolutely love that image! Really shows what the small Nex is capable of, and most of all, the person behind the camera running the controls! Wow.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.476 #4 · p.476 #4 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

partitura wrote:
Luta - that is a fantastic image.
MRosth - really beautiful - especially the first. And the red one!

It is not pleasant at all to have a magnificent new lens and no time AT ALL to use it. I managed to get a few minutes today to take a couple of images with my Leica 24mm Elmar. Here is one. Middle of the day light, which I tried to soften a bit. Just starting to get to know this lens.

It is all Philippe's fault. (Thanks, Philber!)

http://www.partitura.com/photos/MeadowsMuseum.jpg

We have this exact same thing being created in front of my office here in Calgary. Created by Spanish sculptor Jaume Plensa. It looks pretty cool...

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.476 #5 · p.476 #5 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I agree Gary, that looks really cool! Partitura, love the rendering of the image. It seems the 24/3.8 and 21/3.4 share similar characteristics.

Taran, love the last two!

While I don't normally post images in this thread on account of not owning a NEX camera, I happen to have a NEX-7 on loan on which I'm trying the new Voigtlander 21/1.8. While my primary interest in the lens is on the M9, results on the 7 are quite promising. There is some purple shift at the edges/corners, but not any worse than the three other 21mm M-series lenses I also tried (and wrote up in a review). Those other lenses being the 21 Lux, 21 SEM and ZM21/2.8.

Nothing exciting, but here are a few images with the 21/1.8 on the 7 at closer distances, where I was trying out it's 50cm close focusing. High-rez copies can be downloaded in the review...

All wide open.
At 50cm:

Between 50-70cm:

About 1.5m:

I've been requested to compare the 21/1.8 against the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. I don't have that lens, but might be able to borrow one eventually. It will be interesting to see what the background rendering differences will be...

Here's the 21/1.8 on the 7:

BTW, for those not familiar with the lens (it just started shipping), the hood is a permanent part of the lens...

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:36 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.476 #6 · p.476 #6 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

There are some stunning images here. And because of it, UPS is delivering a NEX-6 today and USPS a Summicron M 50mm by Friday. What, deary me, have I done...

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • • •
p.476 #7 · p.476 #7 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

rscheffler - thanks for posting these shots.Can you tell us if these were shot in RAW or jpeg? Also how much pp was done to these? did you do anything to eliminate the purple fringing?
-Jim

NEX 7 / Summaron 35

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:50 PM
coloured

p.476 #8 · p.476 #8 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Taran and Luta beautiful captures! both deserving of a repost

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:03 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.476 #9 · p.476 #9 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Waiting for the Car by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, ZA E 24/1.8

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.476 #10 · p.476 #10 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Two different lenses, more on my on blog.

After seeing the last four, I decided to keep the lens!

Andrew

http://planetwidephoto.wordpress.com/

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShow
• • • • •
p.476 #11 · p.476 #11 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

lumis beans wrote:
There are some stunning images here. And because of it, UPS is delivering a NEX-6 today and USPS a Summicron M 50mm by Friday. What, deary me, have I done...

Congratulations, I also was prompted to buy a NEX after finding this thread, I wouldn't go too crazy buying lenses till Zeiss release their E-mount AF lenses, though M-mount glass should hold their value quite well.
Other M's to look at:
Voightlander 15, Elmarit M 28, APO 90/100, or Canon LTM 100/3.5(just bought and I'm amazed at it's quality)

I'm up near 100 lenses now, just high quality lenses & some expensive lenses on my list to get, start with the good ones like you have and it may spare you from falling off the deep end like me and Bif.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.476 #12 · p.476 #12 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Jim Schemel wrote:
rscheffler - thanks for posting these shots.Can you tell us if these were shot in RAW or jpeg? Also how much pp was done to these? did you do anything to eliminate the purple fringing?
-Jim

Jim: These images and everything in the review were shot in RAW and converted in LR4 with the default settings. No attempt was made to correct the purple shift. Of the images in the review, only white balance/tint was adjusted and slight tone curve on some images, but nothing dramatic. Of the images posted here, there were tone curve adjustments for all of them and a bit of burning down the brightness of the old plywood in the last one. They were processed a bit more 'to taste' but also with some restraint. Some have had clarity added. About 30 points for the first one of the pots, which is the most of any of these. The car and the rose bush branches images are definitely without clarity.

I need to use the 21/1.8 a lot more to get a better feel for its close distance performance. It's plenty sharp in the 70cm-2m range. But these were my first images with it closer than 70cm and my feeling is it loses a bit of snap and the transition from sharp to out of focus seems to exhibit some turbulence. Contrast seems a bit weaker, hence the desire to dial in some clarity in the pots image.

I'm not yet sure it's going to be a great (smooth) bokeh lens. It doesn't share the neutral background rendering bias of the Summilux series. Instead, it retains more edge definition to out of focus objects.

Andrew: that 400 looks great. I love the second to last image.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.476 #13 · p.476 #13 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

lumis beans wrote:

Oh dear... chances are it won't be your last Leica lens.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.476 #14 · p.476 #14 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Andrew Gough wrote:
After seeing the last four, I decided to keep the lens!

Andrew

http://planetwidephoto.wordpress.com/

sweet, i've always kinda lusted after that lens. how is manual focus on it?

i randomly tried to take my first star trail shot on my walk home tonight after discovering that my sensor saw a lot more stars than i could with my eyes and the shot i originally intended wouldn't work.

10 min exposure, unfortunately right next to a street light, with the g 28 at f/11:

clearly my "tripod" is suboptimal as well.

same shot boosting iso and opening the aperture to get down to 1/15 and freeze the stars:

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.476 #15 · p.476 #15 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
sweet, i've always kinda lusted after that lens. how is manual focus on it?

i randomly tried to take my first star trail shot on my walk home tonight after discovering that my sensor saw a lot more stars than i could with my eyes and the shot i originally intended wouldn't work.

10 min exposure, unfortunately right next to a street light, with the g 28 at f/11:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8385380141_fc8862a1b9_o.jpg

clearly my "tripod" is suboptimal as well.

same shot boosting iso and opening the aperture to get down to 1/15 and freeze the stars:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8228/8386464934_4914927463_o.jpg

Manual focus is easy and fast, with the subject matter snapping into focus. Nice star trails!

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:30 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.476 #16 · p.476 #16 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

coloured wrote:
Taran and Luta beautiful captures! both deserving of a repost

Completly agree! Stunning!

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.476 #17 · p.476 #17 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Two from the harbour.

Michiel

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM
bhjazz

p.476 #18 · p.476 #18 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

LightShow wrote:
Other M's to look at:
Voightlander 15, Elmarit M 28, APO 90/100, or Canon LTM 100/3.5(just bought and I'm amazed at it's quality)

I'm leaning towards a Voigtlander myself, but find the array of offerings a bit confusing. I know there are:
* Nokton
* Color-skopar
* Super wide-heliar aspherical
* Heliar
* Ultron
* models "Lens for Micro 4/3 Cameras"

Yikes! I think the one I am looking for would be the Nokton 15, but I don't know. With an adapter (of course), would this be a good option for my 5N?

Confused,
Brian

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.476 #19 · p.476 #19 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

The only 15mm Voigtländer I am aware of is the Super Wide Heliar Aspherical. The Nokton lenses are f/1.1-f/1.2 lenses, 35mm or 50mm.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.476 #20 · p.476 #20 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Yep. Nokton generally means f/1.1 to f/1.5; Ultron is f/1.8 or f/2. Skopars are usually f/2.5 or slower. Heliars are all over the map, the wides are slow and the long lenses (eg 75/1.8) are fast.

Nokton = large-ish, heavy (for a rangefinder lens)
Ultron = medium-sized
Skopar = generally pretty tiny.

If you're looking for the 12mm or 15mm wides, you just get one choice of each though (Well, you do have to make sure to get M-mount as opposed to LTM thread-mount unless you want another adapter).

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:16 PM
1       2       3              475      
       477              838       839       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              475      
       477              838       839       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.