FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              838       839       end

Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

That is the big question. I've seen good reports of the ZM 25/2.8, but I haven't used it myself. The new Zeiss wide-angle coming out for NEX is rumored to be a 24mm f1.7, so it may be worth the wait.

p.s. the NEX sensor is a little bigger than Canon's APS-C sensor, so its crop factor is actually 1.5x

Jan 11, 2011 at 06:13 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

One should assume that a Zeiss 24mm f1.7 designed for the NEX is a compact one ?
With such a large aperture i am afraid we get a similar ZM 25/2.8 one...which is too big for my purposes.

What about the Zeiss Biogon 21mm F/2.8 Contax G?
Or better yet the Zeiss Biogon 28/2,8 Contax G , that is small !! I could live with a 42mm equivalent...

Jan 11, 2011 at 06:22 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Contax G 21mm won't mount on NEX. The 28mm has gotten some good reviews, but it does have some corner smear at some apertures, from what I understand.

This photo shows the size of the new NEX Zeiss (in black.) It is the same diameter, but a little shorter, than the NEX kit zoom (on the right.)

Jan 11, 2011 at 06:30 PM
singletrack
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Some pics with the NEX 5 and Zeiss (CY mount) glass

Cheers

KL

Jan 11, 2011 at 07:21 PM
camershy
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Great set KL. I especially like the blue glass building. What c/y lenses and adapter did you use? I want to try my c/y's on my nex 5 too.

Jan 11, 2011 at 07:44 PM
singletrack
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Thx. Mainly 28 f2.8, 50 f1.7 and 135 f2.8.

I used the Rayqual adaptor - awesome build quality but pricey http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=394

Cheers

KL

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Douglas,

I have read some posts at dprevirew from a guy that claims he successfully adapted the 21mm Biogon f2.8 Contax G to the NEX. He had to cut some of the mount, didn't specify how. However the lens exhibited color shift and mudge in the corners.

KL,
Your C/Y 28 f2.8 needs corner correction ? Or are the pictures straight OOC?
How is the sharpness compared to a Canon mount for instance?

Jan 12, 2011 at 04:39 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

contax g 21mm can be mounted via metabones and kipon adapters - you have to cut off couple mm from the rear plastic shields. 28mm works fine. wide open has some color shift in corners, which goes away when closed down.

Jan 12, 2011 at 06:13 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Ah, yes, I forgot that you could cut off the some of the plastic shields to mount the 21mm.

Jan 12, 2011 at 06:22 PM
akul
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Philber - That is quite an amazing detail !! Very powerful shot.

Akul

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Thanks, Akul!

Jan 13, 2011 at 02:25 AM
slungu
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Very nice pictures in this thread - give an idea what is possible with the little NEX cameras.
I wanted to ask how you process the files. Coming from that ancient 1Ds I am surprised to see that raw files processed with the Sony software do not seem that sharp, at least not the ones from the CV 15/4.5 and ZM35/2. Portraits shot with the CV 90/3.5 look better. Still I was wondering if you sharped the files in post, since I never sharpened the 1Ds files I got from the 28 and 100 2.0 Zeisses. Is this something that has to be done with the high density sensors of today ?
Another thing I have to practice more is focusing the wides on infinity - does not seem to be that easy, I only got one picture right with the 15mm so far.

Regards, Stefan

Jan 13, 2011 at 02:04 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

If sharpness is your goal, I would avoid Sony IDC. If you don't want to spend money on the popular converters, try the free Raw Therapee or Raw Photo Processor, both of which give outstanding output.

Jan 13, 2011 at 02:13 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

I use Lightroom V. 3.3. I tried the Sony software and found it disappointing.

Jan 13, 2011 at 02:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

i also use lightroom, but i apply sharpening for downsizing/printing with photoshop.

a shot with the vivitar 28/2 close focus lens.

Jan 13, 2011 at 05:04 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Delightful shot, sebboh!

Jan 13, 2011 at 05:08 PM
theprophe

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

A member on getdpi, claims with the newest kipon adapter, that the contax g biogon 21mm fits without trimming, i will be getting mine hopefully next week to try

Jan 14, 2011 at 07:26 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

theprophe wrote:
A member on getdpi, claims with the newest kipon adapter, that the contax g biogon 21mm fits without trimming, i will be getting mine hopefully next week to try

Unless that new Kipon adapter moves the lens back away from camera body (and affecting infinity focus), it's not going to work. Here is a picture of my G 21mm Biogon on a NEX adapter. You can clearly see that the plastic shields extend past the the end of the adapter.

I tried to fit it to my NEX-5. These shields hit the built up flat areas to the top and bottom of the sensor (I know this becuase they left marks there as I tried to mount the lens). For it to fit, you clearly need to trim these shields. The adapter, if the proper lens registration distance is used, has nothing to do with with this. The adapter is not prohibiting the use of the lens.

Jan 14, 2011 at 08:16 AM
lepp

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

Herb1911, great shot & B/W conversion there!

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM
theprophe

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sony (APS-C) Images Thread

thanks for the pic, and explanation, thats too bad, i'm going to pm him and see why he said that

Lotusm50 wrote:
Unless that new Kipon adapter moves the lens back away from camera body (and affecting infinity focus), it's not going to work. Here is a picture of my G 21mm Biogon on a NEX adapter. You can clearly see that the plastic shields extend past the the end of the adapter. http://www.boncratious.com/images/G21mm&NEXadapter.jpg I tried to fit it to my NEX-5. These shields hit the built up flat areas to the top and bottom of the sensor (I know this becuase they left marks there as I tried to mount the lens). For it to fit, you clearly need to trim
...Show more

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.