Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              702       703       end

NEX Images Thread

akul
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · NEX Images Thread

Thanks Philber. Love your Castle ( sorry, I don't know whether it is a castle or not ) shots. Details are great !

Akul

Jan 04, 2011 at 05:51 PM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · NEX Images Thread

akul wrote:
Great everyone.

I just was too curious not to try out. Here are shots with Nikkor 24-70 f2/8 G with NEX.
]

Did you lose your back cap?

Jan 04, 2011 at 08:07 PM
akul
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · NEX Images Thread

Ha ha,

The biggest problem with NEX is lack of lens rear cap, and body cap.

No no, I just was missing the body cap

I must admit that it looked like a camera attached to a telescope, however, I was surprised how well focusing ring worked. Better than 50 1.4 D focusing ring.

Akul

Jan 04, 2011 at 11:01 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · NEX Images Thread

akul wrote:
Ha ha,

The biggest problem with NEX is lack of lens rear cap, and body cap.

No no, I just was missing the body cap

I must admit that it looked like a camera attached to a telescope, however, I was surprised how well focusing ring worked. Better than 50 1.4 D focusing ring.

Akul

yeah from the few i've tried the nikon afs focus rings tend to be better than the af-d ones.

Jan 04, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Caladbolg777

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · NEX Images Thread

Those are all wonderful shots. I am seriously considering an NEX as my first APS censor sized camera and for its extremely nice portability. I was a little concerned about the way the menus were set up and my choice of lenses.

I am striving for landscape photography with as portable a camera as possible (and no tripod if possible) that has full manual and creative controls. Any wide-angle lens (or lenses that have a wide angle range) you guys recommend?

I'd love to contribute to this thread with some images of my own with the NEX, I'm just not 100% where I need to do to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Forgive me if this is the wrong thread for advice. I just signed up here today, and am not sure where to go to post my own thread for advice.

Jan 05, 2011 at 12:41 AM
mnscott
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · NEX Images Thread

How about a Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 DX fisheye on a NEX-5 body, processed in DxO with my first time trying out the one-shot HDR function:

Another one with the 10.5mm, this one processed using Lightroom 3:

Or a Nikon 28mm f/2.0 Ai lens on the NEX-5:

Jan 05, 2011 at 01:47 AM
mnscott
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · NEX Images Thread

akul wrote:
Great everyone.

I just was too curious not to try out. Here are shots with Nikkor 24-70 f2/8 G with NEX.

Akul, those look excellent! I hadn't tried mounting my 24-70 f/2.8 on the NEX, but did try the Nikon 16-35 f/4, just to see if it would work. It does work nicely, but of course it is kind of big for that tiny body!

Jan 05, 2011 at 02:04 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · NEX Images Thread

Caladbolg777 wrote:
I am striving for landscape photography with as portable a camera as possible (and no tripod if possible) that has full manual and creative controls. Any wide-angle lens (or lenses that have a wide angle range) you guys recommend?

Well, the obvious place to start are the kit lenses, as they are quite inexpensive. The 16mm has received very mixed comments. While some have posted nice pictures with it, others (I included) have found their copy(ies) to be totally disappointing.
The kit zoom (18-55) is not bad at all, considering. While you can't expect it to perform like a prime costing 10x as much, it can produce decent landscape shots.
But landscape shots do not require AF, so MF lenses are a totally viable option. While just about any MF lens with an aperture ring can be adapted on the NEX, it seems to me that only compact ones are in keeping with the NEX concept (others are free to feel otherwise). Therefore you can look at new lenses from Voigtländer, or, if you have more money, Zeiss, both in M (Leica) mount, or even, if money is no object, Leica lenses. But you can find much cheaper used MF lenses that work well. Browse through the countless NEX threads on this site to see for yourself.
As to focal length, be aware that an ultrawide can suffer from colour fringing on the NEX, so anything wider than a 25mm (equivalent to 37,5mm with the crop factor) should be handled with care, and software such as Cornerfix may be required to clean up the sides and corners.
Two more bits of advice. One is that, with MF lenses you will need an adapter; I have chosen not to go with the very cheap Chinese ones found on e-Bay, but rather to pay mor efor better quality, as bad adapters are a problem. Then, keep in mind that the NEX camera is easily "good enough" to let good glass show through, so do not hesitate to buy the best glass you can afford. The result will not be "camera limited"
Here is one example from my NEX with my Zeiss ZM Biogon C 35mm f:2.8.

NEX-5    ---- lens    f/1.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 05, 2011 at 08:33 AM
Permagrin
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · NEX Images Thread

Philber, that's truly a lovely shot.

I do think that the nex is only limited by the glass available. I have both the 16 and the 18-55 for mine. I also use my nikon & zeiss glass on it with better results but honesly, sometimes I just want to use AF. So it would be nice to have better lenses.

I don't hate the 16mm lens though. It's fine. Not great. I like the 18-55 better but the 16 acts like many 16mm...sharp in the center, not on the edges. I find that it behaves better when shooting in raw.

I'm not sure what the adapter has to do with it though. Mine has no glass so it doesn't affect image quality. I did get it off of ebay and have had no issues with it.

with the 16mm lens

with the 18-55

with the nikon 35 1.4 ai-s

Jan 05, 2011 at 06:45 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · NEX Images Thread

Has anybody tried a Leica 28mm Elmarit ASPH on a NEX? I feel like the focal length and (incredibly) small size would make for an amazing combination.

Jan 05, 2011 at 07:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tyue

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · NEX Images Thread

OM 50 1.4

Sony 16mm 2.8

Nikon 50 f1.2

Oly 200mm f4

Jan 05, 2011 at 07:41 PM
Geofn
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · NEX Images Thread

My new Voigtlander 15mm Heliar (M-mount) was just delivered and it is KILLING me that my M-NEX adapter didn't arrive! I'll post some shots once I get the adapter.

Jan 05, 2011 at 09:07 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · NEX Images Thread

corposant wrote:
Has anybody tried a Leica 28mm Elmarit ASPH on a NEX? I feel like the focal length and (incredibly) small size would make for an amazing combination.

Haven't used that one specifically, but I owned the type III 28 and currently own an Elmarit 24 ASPH. Given my experience with those, I'd say your supposition is right on target.

Jan 05, 2011 at 11:13 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · NEX Images Thread

Permagrin wrote:
Philber, that's truly a lovely shot. I do think that the nex is only limited by the glass available. I have both the 16 and the 18-55 for mine. I also use my nikon & zeiss glass on it with better results but honesly, sometimes I just want to use AF. So it would be nice to have better lenses. I don't hate the 16mm lens though. It's fine. Not great. I like the 18-55 better but the 16 acts like many 16mm...sharp in the center, not on the edges. I find that it behaves better when shooting in
...Show more

Nice shots, Permagrin (love the handle, by the way). I finally got my F to E adapter, so I'm anxious to give the Nikon 35/1.4 a whirl on it. Nice to see someone else is having good experiences with it.

Jan 05, 2011 at 11:16 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · NEX Images Thread

Unconverted Rokkor 58

Leica R 180 F2.8 APO

Jan 06, 2011 at 12:42 AM
Caladbolg777

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · NEX Images Thread

Thank you very much for the tips. I'll be sure to keep them in mind.

I thought about the Voigtlander lenses though I haven't done my research yet. I'm very interested in the Canon series of lenses (L and standard) but I'm not aware of any adapter for Canon lenses, but Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses seem interesting.

My budget is very low - so much so that it'll take me a month or two to be able to afford the NEX itself. So if I were to invest in Zeiss or Voigtlander, it's most likely going to be Voigtlander. This is the alternative thread so I'll stay alternative here, but I've also got the Canon system to think about (and whether or not I may be better off investing in a full-on SLR instead).

Either way, thank you very much for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Jan 06, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · NEX Images Thread

Experimenting with a Tilt adapter on my recently arrived NEX-5 for a few moments today.
I think it's going to take a little while to work out a good system to use this combination effectively and purposefully. It is a bit challenging to see what is happening on a little 3" LCD. With the ZF 50/1.4 (at f2.0):

Jan 06, 2011 at 04:00 AM
Permagrin
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · NEX Images Thread

freaklikeme wrote:

Nice shots, Permagrin (love the handle, by the way). I finally got my F to E adapter, so I'm anxious to give the Nikon 35/1.4 a whirl on it. Nice to see someone else is having good experiences with it.

I actually very much like the 35 on the nex5. I keep it with that kit instead of my nikon kit. lol

Jan 06, 2011 at 04:33 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · NEX Images Thread

NEX & ZM18mm mostly F/8-11

This image I posted because I really pulled the shadows up, and it kind of shows the flexibilty of the NEX files - ZM18

NEX5 & ZM 50mm F/1.5

NEX5 & Voigtlander 12mm

Edited on Jan 07, 2011 at 01:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2011 at 04:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · NEX Images Thread

a few from the much maligned 16mm (i'm not really a huge fan either, but mine is decent for the price):

wide open:

stopped down:

Jan 06, 2011 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password