Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2004 · B&H bad experience

KevinRiggs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&H bad experience

I just called B&H in New York to try and order a set of macro coupling rings and got nothing but rude interactions and was put on hold for over 10 minutes. I spoke with Yves who apparently handles adapters and filters and he along with the 3 people I spoke with before him were rude and acted too busy to help.

Not much I can do except return some stuff I bought from them (like they'll care) and go with someone else like 17th St Photo or Adorama. Just thought I'd share in a user forum.

Kev

May 18, 2004 at 10:34 PM
KevinRiggs
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&H bad experience

I called back and called back and . . . you get the idea.

Finally I got someone named John in their adapters or couplers or whatever dept that is and he told me that no one even makes a macro coupler or a male-to-male coupler above a 58mm. I don't know what anyone else's experience is with this kind of thing. I wanted to mount my 50mm f/1.8 (52mm threads) to my 70-200 f/2.8 L lens (77mm threads) and I figured I'd end up with some kind of step down ring. According to this John from B&H that animal doesn't even exist. Supposedly it never did.

If you know of anything that might help (beyond just buying the *$*+& Canon MP-E 65 lens) please feel free to share it as a possible work around. I'd just like to use my camera for some cool macro shots now that I have bugs and such in my back yard.

Kev

May 18, 2004 at 10:45 PM
KR1S
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&H bad experience

Step Down Ring

Coupler

I'm guessing you'll get vignetting with that set up.

May 19, 2004 at 12:05 AM
Mickey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&H bad experience

Kirk Photo has anumber of different sizes, up and down.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/polarizers.html

May 19, 2004 at 03:24 AM
KevinRiggs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&H bad experience

Kris,

Sadly those are exactly what B&H told me to order last week and when they came in today the 58-77 has the wrong threads for both the 58 and the 77 sides. I needed female for the 58 and male for the 77. That step down ring is exactly opposite. The 77 screws around a 77mm thread while the 58 screws into (ie - male) a 58mm ring.

Mickey,

Thanks for that link. I'll check them out and see what I can find. I wanted to try some macros with the lenses I have since everyone always says "Oh, don't go spending $800. You can do it with $20 and a piece of chicken wire." I figured I'd try putting those lenses together and . . . .
If Kirk doesn't have it I guess I'll be looking for one of the macro lenses. I was hoping to hold off 'til the end of the year and pickup one of the MP-E65 macro lenses with the ring flash unit. Oh well.

Thanks folks for the help,

Kev

May 19, 2004 at 03:52 AM
Dimitris

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&H bad experience

Or you could get a pair of Cokin P adaptors in the correct sizes and glue them together.

May 19, 2004 at 12:17 PM
KevinRiggs
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&H bad experience

Dimitris wrote:
Or you could get a pair of Cokin P adaptors in the correct sizes and glue them together.

Hey, now that's a cool idea. I hadn't even thought of that. I assume you'd use CrazyGlue (tm) or something like it, right.

Thanks,

Kev

May 19, 2004 at 01:18 PM
Dimitris

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&H bad experience

You're welcome, although I can't take credit for this - I read it somewhere! Good luck with your macro efforts.

May 19, 2004 at 02:03 PM
AJ Nadershahi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&H bad experience

What about using a set of extension tubes with your 50mm lens? I have a set of three that can be stacked for use with autofocus and aperture control. Albeit you loose some brightness, but I think it's better than having so many layers of glass.

I've also used it successfully with my 80-200 zoom, but it's easier to use the 50mm.

Also have an older rail type extension tube That offers a bit more flexibility and tremendous macro capability.

May 19, 2004 at 03:25 PM
rburbank
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&H bad experience

Kevin....www.2filter.com

will have virtually any kind of step-up/step-down ring that you could want...IMHO nice friendly people to work with....have completed several pleasant transactions with these folks....

May 19, 2004 at 05:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shughes
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&H bad experience

KevinRiggs wrote:
You can do it with $20 and a piece of chicken wire."

Or you can use some $3.00 masking tape. (You can usually find 2" wide masking tape at a local "dollar" store.)

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with B&H. I, personally, have found them to be very reliable (and I have ordered from them many, many times). Only once or twice did I have a need to contact them over the phone and they were always very helpful. Either you happened to catch all the wrong B&H employees or I happened to catch all the right ones. Hopefully, you will get better service in the future if you choose to use them again (or at least better service from Adorama or 17th Street Photo if you use them instead).

May 19, 2004 at 05:25 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&H bad experience

B&H and Adorama both are staffed by jerks, or at least they were when I called them, which is often. If you are looking for a great service experience, 17th Street Photo is a great place to look. Their inventory is not as large as B&H, but they are easy to do business with, have reasonable prices on USA goods, and have always shipped items to me before I even expect them to show up. I can't recommend them enough.

Arka C.

May 19, 2004 at 07:08 PM
abbarr
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&H bad experience

I strongly agree with lordarka's comments about 17th street.

cheers, alan.

May 19, 2004 at 07:28 PM
clintsmith
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&H bad experience

I have bought from BH, Calumet and Adorama, and have called 17th street, but was unable to purchase a lens because it was backordered.

For phone service, B&H and Adorama were not my favorites. THe guy at adorama wanted to argue with me on my purchase selection and the few times I called B&H there was a language barrier, but they were by no mean jerks.

I have called Calumet several times and have always been happy with their phone manners and service.

Bottom line is that B&H is great when ordering online for products they have in stock.

May 19, 2004 at 08:18 PM
RonR
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · B&H bad experience

Greetings,

I agree with Clint. I've had the same experiences as others with B&H. Definitely not polite on the phone !! I limit my orders to online purchases!! However, after paying for 2nd Dat Air on two different purchases, none of my orders have arrived in less than 4 working days Go figure.
I plan on using Calumet for a new R800 printer.

Best Regards,
Ron

May 19, 2004 at 09:49 PM
tbottegal

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · B&H bad experience

B&H is always very polite - as long as you don't ask any questions! I've dealt with them for many years buying thousands of dollars of stuff, and learned this during the first two or three times I called them.

When you call these guys, know need to know exactly what you want to order, give them your order, and hang up. They'll be happy and you'll be happy with the (rest of the) service and the price.

If you have questions or want to just chat a bit, this is not the place to call. Calumet (not located in NYC!) or one of the others mentioned are better bets when you're going to the counter with uncertainty.

May 19, 2004 at 10:04 PM
Tommy Connell
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · B&H bad experience

Call Adorama, ask for Fred, tell him Tommy Connell told you to call him with your problem.

Tommy

May 20, 2004 at 03:04 AM
JoshBaldo

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · B&H bad experience

I agree with you lordarka. Every time that I've talked to B&H, they have been rude, pushy and just obnoxious. They will always push and push things on you until you basically ask them what the hell their problem is, or I usually hang up on them. ...and yes they don't have the time to do their jobs.

May 20, 2004 at 04:14 PM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · B&H bad experience

I, too was going to suggest the two Cokin P adapters, placed back-to back. However, if you can, drill three holes through the glued adapters at 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00, then insert small nuts and bolts through the adapters. (Or attach them back to back with masking tape, then drill and bolt together.) If you are truly confident that the superglue will hold, then proceed without the nuts and bolts. But consider the fact that you will have a lens attached to another lens. If the glue bond breaks unexpectedly , you may end up with a damaged and/or nonfunctioning lens.

Jun 09, 2004 at 06:42 PM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · B&H bad experience

Having purchased most of my equipment and accessories through B&H, I agree that they are not "chatty". No one has ever been overtly rude, but they are typically very abrupt. I regard B&H as a place where persons who know what they want beforehand, to go and purchase. I usually do all my research via the Internet for reviews, specifications, user experiences, etc. When I read many of the questions people have (what kind of camera/lens should I take on vacation?, what's a good first lens?, etc.) on the forums, I am glad they are asking there, and not at B&H or Adorama. With the volume of business B&H does, it is no wonder that they try to reduce the time they spend with their customers. I am not saying that their abrupt manner is right, just that it is how it is. Personally, I have come to accept their modus operandi as the price of getting decent prices on equipment, that I cannot find in my area. They also have a range of products not avaialble elsewhere (at least to my knowledge). I suspect that walk-in customers to B&H may find the sales staff a little more approachable. Finally, I must say that it has been a pleasure doing business with some of the smaller specialty vendors like Acratech, Really Right Stuff, etc.

Jun 09, 2004 at 06:55 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password