Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · #428 Steel Serpentine

BennyR
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #428 Steel Serpentine

Great pics everyone. I thought I'd throw one in for fun. Motion is a great topic. So many ways it could be illustrated. Couldn't decide which one to throw in. I probably picked the wrong one. Anyway, it's a train making it's way up a hill where it loops over itself because the incline is so great they resorted to making a loop - the Tehachapi Loop. It was taken this morning. Have a great Christmas season everyone.

Dec 22, 2010 at 02:46 AM
mindeye1
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #428 Steel Serpentine

nice! I used to live in Cali and we would go by there on our way to the dessert to go motorcycling. Thanks for sharing.. it brings back great memories.

Dec 22, 2010 at 05:18 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #428 Steel Serpentine

So you remember it? I love to bring back memories. Even if they're not mine.

Dec 23, 2010 at 05:12 AM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #428 Steel Serpentine

That's really interesting the way the front and middle parts of the train are in motion blur, yet the end of the train is not. Are those really all the same train? If memory strikes me the Loop has a passing track on it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 08:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BennyR
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #428 Steel Serpentine

It's all the same train. You don't see the motion at this size but at a full size you can see the motion on the end portion. It just has to do with the fact that that portion of the train is moving toward you.

Dec 29, 2010 at 05:26 AM
jerkjone
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #428 Steel Serpentine

well the motion blur is going to be a little... "tricky" due to the different directions of the motion... great shot! i didn't believe it could have been one train at first... lol why do they have it making a huge lap like that instead of just going up the hill?

Jan 03, 2011 at 06:09 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #428 Steel Serpentine

There are a couple of factors on why they loop.

First off is the maximum grade steel wheels can take on steel rails before they start sliding. If memory strikes me the maximum pct. grade is something like 6%, or thereabouts. After that you start slipping all over the place. You might be able to get an additional percent, or so, by going to a locomotive like a Shay or Climax, but it's been quite some time since those saw the main line. :-)

An additional reason is fuel consumption. If you can keep your gradient to 1-2% maximum then you will use a lot less fuel to pulling a train up the grade. As Tehachapi is the main line pretty much most trains that come from the central midwest will see the Loop.

Tehachapi Loop is one of the more extreme cases of looping trains to gain altitude. However, there's one in Switzerland (Gotthardbahn) which will do it one better. It's a loop INSIDE a tunnel. Must've been some kind of engineering to get that one right, eh?

If you want to read further check out the
Wikipedia article

Robert

jerkjone wrote:
... lol why do they have it making a huge lap like that instead of just going up the hill?

Jan 03, 2011 at 09:59 PM
jerkjone
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #428 Steel Serpentine

well... all i got to say to that is...

w. o. w.

Jan 06, 2011 at 04:38 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password