Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

Ken Tanaka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

It has been years since I participated in these "assignments", although I've referred many enthusiasts to FM and to these excellent weekly contests. So I thought I'd jump into this week's assignment pool for old time sake and to wish everyone at FM a happy, healthy Holiday Season.

Here's an entry in the spirit of the season, too!

- Millennium Park Ice Rink, Chicago, IL

Edited on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2010 at 01:20 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

I'm glad that I decided not to enter this week because if this image does not win I shall be very surprised indeed.

Personally, I'm off to Bali tonight and somewhat warmer climes.

Happy Christmas.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:27 PM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

A fine capture, love it!

Dec 20, 2010 at 04:08 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

ruuskan wrote:
A fine capture, love it!

Me too. Well done.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 20, 2010 at 05:58 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

Wonderful choice for the WA..I can feel the movement..I really like this Ken

Dec 21, 2010 at 06:56 PM
GeekStyle

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

Simply beautiful, Ken!

And Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Whatever I missed through ignorance!

Jean

Dec 22, 2010 at 01:07 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

Nice contrast between motion and stationary town in Christmas mood.

Dec 22, 2010 at 01:38 AM
Ken Tanaka
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

Thank you all for your kind comments! FM sure seems to have the same positive, supportive culture that I remember.

Indeed, jhg, I felt it was crucial to have rock-solid stationary elements to contrast the sea of motion of the skaters. The decorated trees along Michigan Avenue in the background help to set the seasonal feeling. The twilight blue/lavender tint on the buildings help to signal the time of day and a clear sky, and also a certain sense of that winter chill that advances so quickly with winter sunset.

I snapped approximately 17 images over 45 mins. to get one, this one, which represented the best compromise of elements. (I really wanted to use a single image, rather than a composite.) Having a stationary person/persons in the foreground, preferably appearing in good spirits, was a key element for the image. But getting a mix of figures which included a good selection of action-identifiable forms was most important. That is, ice skating needed to be the unambiguous activity occurring in that swirl. (Tech note: As you might guess or know, slowing the shutter speed has the effect of making the skaters disappear completely from the white ice.)

My final solution strategy was ultimately to wait until the Zamboni finished resurfacing the ice. I found that it was in the following few minutes as skaters began re-entering the rink, and before it became crowded, that the best separation of figures could be captured.

So that's my story behind this little photo. Thanks, again, for your comments.

Dec 22, 2010 at 02:16 AM
Buffalonian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #428 Ghosts on Ice

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/16066175902_dd8426de21_z_d.jpg

From Buffalo, NY. Our new Harbor Center and The Ice @ Canalside that popped up reminds me a lot of the Bean rink above. The blur is always awesome. The night shots are always easier to do the blur component, but the timing for day blur is the ND magic. Color optional, mind you.

Often over looked by The Bean, that location really is awesome for that rink and the concert venue behind it. I miss Chicago a lot.

Thanks for sharing, and excellent capture.

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.