Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

Can 3880 print on canvas, if so how?

Dec 11, 2010 at 04:38 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

via Eric Chan's website for the 3800/3880

Does the Epson 3800 support printing on canvas?
Not officially, but many users have printed on canvas successfully. The key is getting the canvas to feed reliably. The following post comes from the Epson Wide Format Yahoo newsgroup:

I used 3M (Scotch) ATG700 tape to stick on 1'' strip of 28lb bond paper on the back side of the canvas, then used the rear feed, and the printer grabbed the piece of paper to pull the canvas into the printer. I adjusted the canvas size in Photoshop and the paper size in the Epson driver to allow for the extra paper length so that the image prints in the proper place on the canvas. Worked great.

More details ...

I use Somerset Enhanced on an EX and experienced the same problems with feeding. The paper thickness is beyond what the machine can reliably pick up in the feed mechanism. After three hours of experimentation I have been able to get consistent feeding of the paper, but unfortunately one sheet at a time. The extra inconvenience of feeding one at a time is well worth effort with this wonderful new paper. I adjusted the canvas size in photoshop and the paper size in the Epson driver to allow for the extra paper length so that the image prints in the proper place on the canvas.

The method I finally decided on was to add a 1" leader projecting from the edge of the sheet of Somerset. I cut strips of 20lb. bond copy paper 1 1/2" wide and attach them to the back of the Somerset with small patches of double back tape. The 20 lb. overlaps the Somerset by 1/2" leaving a 1" leader which the printer grabs without any problem and pulls the rest of the sheet into the printer. Once into the feed mechanism the printer prints just fine, even on the thin paper setting. You have to adjust your canvas size in Photoshop and the paper size in the Epson driver to allow for the extra paper length so that your image prints in the proper place on the Somerset. I use a 3M (Scotch) ATG700 tape application gun to apply three 1/4" spots of tape to the back of the somerset. This gun is used in the picture framing industry and is relatively inexpensive (maybe $20.00). The tape is 3M product #924 and is 1/2" wide. Perfect to create a 1/2" overlap with the bond paper. The tape can be applied by hand if you don't want to invest in the applicator. It would simply take a few seconds longer.

The entire operation takes me no more than 20 - 30 seconds. You will need to use a sheet of paper behind the somerset in the feed tray to help keep the Somerset in the proper alignment for feeding.

This method works almost 100% on my printer. I have printed about 30 sheets this way with only one misfeed.

Dec 11, 2010 at 01:11 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

I used to print canvas with 4000. Worked fine. 3880 hasmore limitation about papers and size: can't print longer than 37.5'. Weird. I used to print 60' long with 1800. But staying in its constrain, 3880 has been giving me great prints. No much complaint so far.

howardm4 wrote:
via Eric Chan's website for the 3800/3880

Does the Epson 3800 support printing on canvas?
Not officially, but many users have printed on canvas successfully. The key is getting the canvas to feed reliably. The following post comes from the Epson Wide Format Yahoo newsgroup:

I used 3M (Scotch) ATG700 tape to stick on 1'' strip of 28lb bond paper on the back side of the canvas, then used the rear feed, and the printer grabbed the piece of paper to pull the canvas into the printer. I adjusted the canvas size in Photoshop and the paper size in the Epson driver to
...Show more

Dec 11, 2010 at 06:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

yea, well, the 3800 has a hardcoded driver length limit although 3rd party RIP drivers can bypass it (since they replace the Epson driver). The 3800 isn't marketed as a roll printer so that is their way of trying to push you to a $$ 4800 or big printer.

Dec 11, 2010 at 06:19 PM
ahreno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

i'm just starting to look into the 3880... you guys make it sound like it will print from a roll? (37' is plenty long enoug for me). Would this be a good entry level to professional quality prints?

Dec 23, 2010 at 07:41 AM
allebaug

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ePSON 3880 AND canvas

ahreno,

The native limit for the 3880 is 37.4 inches in length.

Dec 23, 2010 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password