Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2010 · 100% Silver Mirror

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 100% Silver Mirror

TweakMDS wrote:
You could always hack some sort of very mind ND filter over the metering sensor to compensate this extra light...

I thought about that too ... but I think I like the idea of adjusting my metering habits, I've never liked middle gray metering anyway.

Dec 03, 2010 at 05:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · 100% Silver Mirror

So ... where do I start?

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:04 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #3 · 100% Silver Mirror

Find a cheap analog non-AF body for a donor mirror?

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:09 PM
U.C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · 100% Silver Mirror

RustyBug wrote:
So ... where do I start?

Find a very thin, flat and good reflecting silver sticker and put in on your mirror.

edit: or something like these silver sheets

Edited on Dec 03, 2010 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:25 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · 100% Silver Mirror

RustyBug wrote:
So ... where do I start?

(Disclaimer: I take no responsibility... at your own risk... blah, blah...)

1) Try to accurately measure your 5D mirror.

2) Go to pawn shops or used camera stores and measure the mirrors of cheap, old analog cameras. The more manual they are, the more likely to have 100% silvered mirrors. Choose one that is big enough and as close to the same thickness as possible to the 5D, but thinner is better than too thick.

3) Carefully remove the mirror from your 5D. It is held in place with adhesive, AFAIK. Gentle, constant pressure/prying in very warm conditions is your best bet. This is the part that you want to take your time with!

4) Compare the mirrors and then carefully reduce the size of the replacement mirror to the same size as the original (if necessary).

5) Install the replacement mirror using a thin, uniform layer of appropriate adhesive. Preferably one that does not "cure" into a hard form, but rather maintains some elasticity to withstand the actuations and allows removal/replacement later.

6) Re-calibrate your focusing screen to compensate for any difference in mirror thickness or roughhousing of the mirror mechanism during the process.

This is just a brainstorm, but it is how I would likely go about it.

I have also played with the idea of simply applying an extremely thin layer of 100% reflective silvered material to the existing mirror, but I never found the perfect product to do so.

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:34 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · 100% Silver Mirror

U.C. wrote:
Find a very thin, flat and good reflecting silver sticker and put in on your mirror.

edit: or something like these silver sheets

I looked at products such as this in my search, but I question the results.

Just how uniform are they? Are they perfectly reflective like a mirror, or will they scatter light and cause a blurry image? How to apply them perfectly uniformly to the surface of the mirror without any bubbles, etc.?

For me it was too many questions without answers.

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:38 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.2 #7 · 100% Silver Mirror

Maybe chrome is better because of the silver corrosion....
It's quite easy to make a metal shiny: use ultra fine sandpaper and a glass sheet to check flatness (if the sheet is flat, it will adhere to the glass sheet without water).

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:43 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · 100% Silver Mirror

Indeed, chrome is likely the best choice. Ideally, it would be a perfectly uniform chromed sheet of .3mm plastic with an extremely thin, uniform layer of adhesive on the underside. Or, better yet, something that would rely on static adhesion that could be easily removed and replaced

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · 100% Silver Mirror

cogitech wrote:
(Disclaimer: I take no responsibility... at your own risk... blah, blah...)

What ... no lifetime warranty. Ah, shucks.

Static adhesion

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:50 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · 100% Silver Mirror

RustyBug wrote:
What ... no lifetime warranty. Ah, shucks.

Static adhesion

Yeah, you know, like the thin rubbery stickers that stick to windows, etc. that can be removed and replaced repeatedly. AFAIK it is static electricity that holds those suckers on, but I could be wrong. Maybe it is just the complete absence of air between them and the glass that makes them stick. A super-thin, 100% chromed version of that would be the ticket...

A better name would be "adhesiveless adhesion" I guess.

Edited on Dec 03, 2010 at 06:59 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · 100% Silver Mirror

I wonder if there is any 100% reflective car window tinting material on the market. That would be permanent, but ideal due to uniformity and thinness.

Dec 03, 2010 at 06:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · 100% Silver Mirror

I don't think window tinting would be flat enough (distortion/fuzzy) to produce a precision image on the ground glass ... probably wouldn't hold up to constant 'slam/bam' use and dust would likely wreak havoc long term.

Edited on Dec 03, 2010 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:08 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.2 #13 · 100% Silver Mirror

What problem are you trying to fix?

I use a right angle magnifier to see the focus screen better. Why change the mirror?

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:09 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.2 #14 · 100% Silver Mirror

Well I don't think you have to look too far. The mirror in my almost new Canon F1N is virtually identical in size. I just pulled an old Canon TL-QL out of the storage cabinet and it appears to be almost the identical size. They appear thinner but H&W almost identical with a small ruler. You should be able to buy a TL-QL on Ebay for $20 or so.

Dave

Edited on Dec 03, 2010 at 07:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:10 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · 100% Silver Mirror

Bobster2 wrote:
What problem are you trying to fix?

I use a right angle magnifier to see the focus screen better. Why change the mirror?

Just for more light in the VF, is all, and since we (at least me and Kent) don't use the AF systems in our cameras, the real question is "why not?"

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · 100% Silver Mirror

I do use a right angle mirror already ... eyes are just getting a little tired and it would be nice to be able have a little more light to see when stopped down with mf glass.

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:12 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.2 #17 · 100% Silver Mirror

cogitech wrote:
Just for more light in the VF, is all, and since we (at least me and Kent) don't use the AF systems in our cameras, the real question is "why not?"

Losing metering for me is a no-no. Apart from this I think I'd try this too...

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:15 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · 100% Silver Mirror

RustyBug wrote:
I don't think window tinting would be flat enough (distortion/fuzzy) to produce a precision image on the ground glass ... probably wouldn't hold up to constant 'slam/bam' use and dust would likely wreak havoc long term.

Really? From what I can tell, window tinting takes on the exact shape of the glass and it adheres permanently.

Alas, installing it requires water. It would be messy and you'd only get one chance.

In the end, I think the mirror replacement is, overall, a better solution.

cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · 100% Silver Mirror

alexandre wrote:
Losing metering for me is a no-no. Apart from this I think I'd try this too...

But you wouldn't lose metering. (Alexandre, you've just been caught not reading the whole thread )

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · 100% Silver Mirror

I was wondering about the old MF Canon's AE1, A1 etc. as possible donors.

I know the 'alt group' is always looking for a creative solution, but I think an actual mirror is probably the way to go on this one.

Edited on Dec 03, 2010 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2010 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password