Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2010 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

derry1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

will have to throw my 2 cents in,,

price of lens and NX2 software,,

Derry

Nov 24, 2010 at 02:50 PM
Cormac

p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I can't handhold the 400/2.8 or the 600/4.

But the Canon 800/5.6 can be handheld by someone who's comfortable with handholding a 500/4, and the diet on which Canon put their new 400 shows that it is now possible (maybe always was possible) to make these lenses weigh a whole lot less. If Nikon gave any of my long lenses that kind of weight loss, I'd be first in line for the new versions.

Sure, but the Canon 800 f/5.6 is NOT the cream of the crop when it comes to image quality. It's a fairly new lens, but it needs a redesign, IMO. Optically, it's certainly "good" but nothing special - and no match for the Nikkor super teles, that's for sure. Everything else is great about it, though.

I have no doubt that the 400 f/2.8 L will be amazing, though. The old 400 L is already a very fine lens. The "weight loss" is indeed impressive - and I agree - Nikon should follow suit.

Nov 24, 2010 at 02:54 PM
Gregory.Rotter
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Andre Labonte wrote:
My only significant complaint with Nikon is there warrantee policy. The warrantees should be world wide.

Erm, they ARE world wide. One year world wide, 5 year US warranty. Unless of course you're referring to grey market. Absolutely BS that US lens buyers should get five times the warranty but whatever.

Nov 24, 2010 at 04:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Erm, they ARE world wide. One year world wide, 5 year US warranty. Unless of course you're referring to grey market. Absolutely BS that US lens buyers should get five times the warranty but whatever.

Ah, no they are NOT world wide. If you buy a lens from outside the US and try to get it repaired in the US, even durring that first year, Nikon USA will not repair it. I agree too that all lenses should have a 5 year warranty regardless of country.

Nov 24, 2010 at 04:33 PM
tach18k
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Well it is not so much who is better on prices or equipment I have over time liked the look of Nikon pictures, and having used both, I still feel that way. I have looked at Canon again, the 5Dmkii, but it came down to comparing the D700 and the 5Dmkii and picture for picture, the Nikon won me over. Not to mention the AF was far better on the Nikon then the Canon.

Nov 24, 2010 at 04:43 PM
zoetmb
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

NathanHamler wrote:
Ok, i LOVE nikon cameras and lenses....BUT, there are just a few things that irk me when it comes to little features that nikon's dont have.....my MAIN one, is this:

if i'm bouncing with on camera flash, and i'm shooting vertical, with the shutter release at the top of the camera (or using a vertical grip), you cant aim the flash ABOVE and behind you....the flash head WILL aim behind you, only if you shoot vertical with the shutter release at the bottom of the camera....which, i dont shoot vertically that way....and it bugs the crap out of me....canon flash units
...Show more

Get a flash bracket. In most cases, the flash should be off the camera anyway. And even if you don't, you can twist the flash 90 degrees and I think it will aim where you want it, if I'm following you correctly.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

making the world's best speedlight.

then not doing anything about it overheating.

-__-

Nov 25, 2010 at 03:19 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

MagicNikon wrote:
A new 85D 1.4 is $1200 at BH. A new 85G 1.4 is $1700. That's a $500 difference and hardly twice the price.

Not really a fair and equitable comparison pitting used vs new prices.

Price for the afd over here was £800 before the G arrived. The G is £1500 so twice the price is pretty close. When the zeiss 85mm 1.4 for sony is under a grand with better performance it's a ripoff.

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM
MagicNikon
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Mark_L wrote:
Price for the afd over here was £800 before the G arrived. The G is £1500 so twice the price is pretty close. When the zeiss 85mm 1.4 for sony is under a grand with better performance it's a ripoff.

Gotcha.

Nov 25, 2010 at 01:41 PM
larrytucaz
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro, these forums seem to be more "pro-oriented," which is fine, but anyway. And, also, pardon the post if it's too long.

My gripes:

These first few are non "Nikon exclusive" gripes, these are things Canon and, sometimes, other brands are also guilty of

(1) No "release priority" setting (until you get to the D300 level with Nikon). When I press the button, take the picture NOW, no matter whether or not you (the camera) thinks it's a good idea based on focus status

(2) Not enough cross-sensors. Even the D3100 should have, say, 9 AF sensors which are all cross-sensitive. Pentax has been getting this right for years.

"Nikon-Exclusive" Gripes

(1) AF-S only with entry-level bodies. They shouldn't have made this move until every single AF-D lens in the line-up had been updated with an AF-S version, especially the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.4

(2) Inconsistent playback zoom-in controls. Some models it's the bottom 2 buttons on the left-side (D7000, D90, D60) other models it's 1-button up from that (D3100, D5000, D300). Irritating when you own more than 1 body & they're different.

The big one for me (drum roll)

(3) RAW software not being free. View NX is a joke. You have to save changes to the NEF file to convert to TIFF with the changed settings (I like my NEF files to have the "as shot" settings). From what I've seen, unless I'm wrong, sharpness control doesn't match the one in the camera (eg., a setting of 4 doesn't mean you're actually using a setting of 4, it means it's adding 4 more units to what the file already has!). No access to high ISO noise reduction that I've seen; one of the main things about RAW is how it gives you control over the balance between noise reduction & resolution at high ISO values.

To get the same things others just give you, you have to spend $160 on Capture NX2. That's just insane. (Thankfully I got NX 1.3 on the cheap two years ago--I paid $60--and for my D5000 files, I found a "hack" that tricks NX 1.3 into believing they're D300 files, and it recognizes them and works great with them.)

Dec 02, 2010 at 05:55 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

(1) AF-S only with entry-level bodies. They shouldn't have made this move until every single AF-D lens in the line-up had been updated with an AF-S version, especially the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.4

Speaking as someone who hates not having focusing motors in those bodies, it's an economic and photographic reality that most buyers of those cameras are hobbyists/sports parents. They rarely buy more than the kit lens or package like the 18-55/55-200. Nikon made and still makes a bundle with these cameras.

Dec 02, 2010 at 06:01 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

And will continue to make a bundle with those cameras. For those interested in more gear, there's the 70-300 VR, 18-200 VR, and nearly all mainstream lenses are now AF-S anyway.

On the other hand, Larry's main point appears to be that the made that move too early, before most/all lenses available were AF-S. That's a reasonable gripe. I disagree, though... I think that they made the jump at a time when 95% or more of those entry-level body buyers were going to be perfectly happy with the then-current universe of AF-S lenses. That's more than enough to drive a product launch... the last 5% shouldn't hold everyone else back.

Dec 02, 2010 at 06:13 PM
krickett
• • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

I think that they made the jump at a time when 95% or more of those entry-level body buyers were going to be perfectly happy with the then-current universe of AF-S lenses.

I was in that unhappy 5%

Dec 02, 2010 at 08:38 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Sorry to hear that... feeling better now?

Dec 02, 2010 at 10:43 PM
gcbermejo

p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

glassartist wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with Capture NX -

+1

One of these days I might get **approval** to invest in something like Lightroom....

Dec 02, 2010 at 11:17 PM
jberry
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Canon has so much offers for the 70-200, F4, F4 IS, F2.8, F2.8 IS, They even still sell thej mark1 at B&H with the mark 2 IS so you have two choices.

Nikon is so exclusive, 70-200 VR1. Thats it, then they make a new one, 70-200VR2.

Its like we made the best you HAVE to buy the best, no other offers. Well maybe thats good cuz my canon buddys get surprised with I tell them I got a 70-200, I dont need to tell them what kind lol.

Dec 03, 2010 at 10:46 PM
Still Bill
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

PC-E lenses you have to send in and pay a fee (or take apart yourself and void warranty) to change tilt direction (you-know-who's TS lens tilt direction is easily user-changeable)
No UWA PC-E lens (you-know-who has one)
No macro ring flash offered (you-know-who has one)
Too-expensive superteles (another point to you-know-who)
No accessory white 'skin' for long lenses (just kidding)
Inconsistently available lenses/TCs
Discontinued the SB800
The SB900's bulky case is too long for a lot of bag pockets (you can keep the diffuser on an SB800 in its shorter case)
Badly missed the mark updating the 17-35/2.8D (f/4? what's up with that?)
No AF-S update to the 80-400 VR
SD memcards in DX cameras (CF was good enough for a D70s)
AEB on D7000 hasn't improved over a D70s (how hard could that be...firmware?)
No provision for portable external power for long shutter times (e.g. star trail shots) or a battery wire to your pocket/external warmer for cold days (gotta hack this one FTW)
Can't use mechanical cable releases (how hard could that be?)

Dec 04, 2010 at 12:58 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Badly missed the mark updating the 17-35/2.8D (f/4? what's up with that?)

I've seen sharp images taken with that at 1/2. The wider aperture is useful mostly just for focusing. That's about all. To me, anyway.

Dec 04, 2010 at 01:03 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Nikon D3S
No hook for hand strap (there's a way around with a grip plate, but it sucks)
the shutter release button on vertical grip has been poorly placed and can be accidentally hit.

Dec 06, 2010 at 01:50 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

vovkinson wrote:
Nikon D3S
the shutter release button on vertical grip has been poorly placed and can be accidentally hit.

That is why it is so nice that they have locks there and on the mode dial.

Dec 06, 2010 at 02:01 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.