Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2010 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

I've noticed that there are a fair amount of 17mm f/3.5 manual focus primes, with different brands names. Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, etc. I was hoping to cut through all that's out there and find out which 17mm versions exist and what their relative qualities are.

Anyone have an idea?

Nov 09, 2010 at 03:34 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Tokina/Vivitar is a tad worse than Tamron AFAIK. I still have one though and am not disapointed with it.

Nov 09, 2010 at 04:05 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

This seems to come up from time to time, with supporters on all sides. What that tells me is that they're all around the same. And variation from lens to lens (same model), adaptor to adaptor, is probably more powerful than variability from model to model.

But based on what I could figure out, I chose the Tamron 17mm SP.

It has been wonderful to use.

Nov 09, 2010 at 04:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

There are at least four 17mm f/3.5 lenses, between Tamron and Tokina.

Tamron SP 17/3.5 Model 51B, with built-in filters
Tamron SP 17/3.5 Model 151B, no built-in filters, newer style
Tokina AT-X Pro 17/3.5 AF
Tokina SL 17/3.5 RMC

I've owned three of the four: SP 151B, AT-X, and SL.

In my personal experience, the Tokina AT-X Pro 17/3.5 AF is a tad better than the Tamron SP 17/3.5 [151B], and the Tokina SL 17/3.5 RMC is a tad worse than the 151B. The Vivitar would be the same as the Tokina SL. AFAIK, the newer SP model 151B is better that the 51B, but I haven't tried the old one.

Nov 09, 2010 at 04:35 PM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

kakomu wrote:
I've noticed that there are a fair amount of 17mm f/3.5 manual focus primes, with different brands names. Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, etc. I was hoping to cut through all that's out there and find out which 17mm versions exist and what their relative qualities are.

Anyone have an idea?

They may all sound the same but they are all quite different optically...The Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC has 11 elements in 9 groups and a 6 bladed Iris. The later AF Tokina 17mm f3.5 ATX pro also has 11 elements in 9 groups but unlike the RMC, it has an 8 bladed Iris and one element is a moulded Asperical element, giving better performance over the RMC.
The Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 is completely different optically than either of the Tokina's...It has 12 elements in 10 groups.
Its considerably better wide open than the Tokina RMC but on the other hand the Tokina has nicer looking lighting flares at night than the Tamron, so I keep both for different uses.

Nov 09, 2010 at 05:43 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Samples from the Tamron SP, which is my final choice for UWA. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/804394/0

I'll never sell it.

Nov 09, 2010 at 07:14 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

cogitech wrote:
Samples from the Tamron SP, which is my final choice for UWA. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/804394/0

I'll never sell it.

I've owned the Tamron SP three times and sold it twice I think I'll keep this one.

Nov 09, 2010 at 09:03 PM
hdan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

I have tried a copy of both the Tokina RMC and the Tamron 51B, and the Tamron beats the Tokina in the center at f/3.5-5.6. The Tokina beats the Tamron at the central edges (top, left, right, bottom) and zone B (midway between the edge and center) at f/5.6 and beyond by a considerable margin. At f/8 and beyond, the Tokina outperforms the Tamron but not to the same extent as in Zone B.

I preferred the flare from the Tokina. The Tamron manifested its flare in the form of bluish blobs through the center of the image when prominent lights are present in the frame. Also, the Tamron suffered from purple fringing and low contrast at all apertures compared to the Tokina.

For me, the Tokina happened to be cheaper by over $50, and I was able to source a hood for it. My poor experience with the Tamron may have been due to a bad sample or a less than ideal adapter.

Nov 12, 2010 at 02:03 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

hdan wrote:
My poor experience with the Tamron may have been due to a bad sample or a less than ideal adapter.

Indeed. This does not sound at all like the one I have. At f8 and f11, the corners of mine are indistinguishable from the centre (see my samples), and I have basically no CA (or purple fringing) except wide open in the extreme corners.

Nov 12, 2010 at 02:50 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Does anybody convert a canon fd 17 3.5?
If yes, how is it?

Reinhard

Nov 12, 2010 at 03:12 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Reinhard, it is an f4, and no I haven't ever used it but I have always been curious.

Nov 12, 2010 at 04:25 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

I've noticed some of the 17 f/3.5 lenses take 67mm filters and others take 72mm filters. Just different body designs or different versions? Tokina, for instance, released a version with 67mm. Vivitar has both a 67mm and 72mm version.

Nov 12, 2010 at 05:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Plus, the Tokina AT-X Pro 17/3.5 AF has a 77mm filter thread.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

jcolwell wrote:

...and the Tamron has no threads at all, unless you have the original hood which has 82mm threads built into it. Works great for me, since I lucked in to a gorgeous Formatt 82mm .6 Grad. ND a few years ago for peanuts

Beautiful photos, Gary. It was about time someone remind us that amazing photos can be taken with any of these lenses, regardless of their respective idiosyncrasies. Those shots would be terrific taken with any UWA lens.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:33 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

cogitech wrote:
...and the Tamron has no threads at all, unless you have the original hood which has 82mm threads built into it.

Those are desperately rare to buy separate from the lens.

Anyone who tries to use such a lens without a hood is likely to have severe problems with flare in outdoor situations. It is bad enough with the hood. I recently bought a Flarebuster, specifically made for this problem but sales discontinued in the UK. It is like a bendy arm, which attached to the hotshoe (problems for some digital users! ) which holds a black card to block out direct light from the sun. This is one version:

http://snipurl.com/1g9oc0 [www_bhphotovideo_com]

Nov 14, 2010 at 05:44 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

jcolwell wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't find a Tokina AT-X Pro 17mm f/3.5 for sale anywhere.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM
m-a-x
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Reinhard: I asked the same question once (quality of FD 17mm). I think it was Jim Buchanan who replied the quality was not good enough to justify the work which is involved.

Cogitech: It is easy to attach a step-up ring (e.g. epoxy it to the outside, there where the diameter is largest).
If you step up to 82mm, there is no vignetting with utra-slim filters. The original hood will not fit any more, though.

e6filmuser: I have one original hood lying around. If you are in demand please write a pm. I'm in Germany and even will be in London, soon.

Nov 14, 2010 at 01:39 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of this lens this week for use on the 5D.
I've really missed shooting UWA since I let go of my Pentax K7.

JayT

Nov 14, 2010 at 03:45 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

m-a-x wrote:
e6filmuser: I have one original hood lying around. If you are in demand please write a pm. I'm in Germany and even will be in London, soon.

Thanks. My comment was a warning, not a request. I have two, semi-permanently fitted with a polarizer and skylight filter, respectively. Thankfully, they are not as brittle as the hood for the 24-48mm model.

Nov 15, 2010 at 02:11 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 17mm f/3.5 Primes: Are they all the same?

Sirfishalot wrote:
I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of this lens this week for use on the 5D.
I've really missed shooting UWA since I let go of my Pentax K7.

Which lens? The Tamron?

Nov 15, 2010 at 07:03 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.