Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2010 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

f5chaserokla

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Camera 7D
Lens 200mm L, 2.0, IS

This is my 3rd camera after swapping out on warranty with BB. First 2 had same issue as this latest one but I did not have this same lens. I have read everything I know of here about camera settings on the 7D. I have tried every combination of focus setting on the 7D (zone, center weighted, spot, etc) all with same outcome. Focus issue only happens on fast moving (sports). Portraits are dead on sharp. Take a look at the photo sequence below that I shot last night.

http://gallery.me.com/darrenlstephens/100449

Its wierd...first one in focus, next 2 out of focus, last one in. What gives? Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited on Oct 30, 2010 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2010 at 03:24 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Zone, center weighted, spot, etc are not focus settings, they're metering settings and as such should have very little or absolutely nothing to do with your focus settings (except for the fact that your aperture setting will affect your shutter speed, and unless you're shooting in M mode, these will be affected by the metering mode you use....but this is far afield of your basic focus issue). What are your focus settings? (AI Servo? center focus point? * button to control focus?) And what is your shooting/focus strategy? Are you locking on and tracking before shooting? Are you maintaining your focus tracking throughout the sequence? You haven't given us nearly enough to work with in helping to solve your problem.

Oct 23, 2010 at 03:40 AM
TheDoc65
• • •
p.1 #3 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

I dont know. 200mm at that distance with the blue on blue... both my 1D's may have lost focus on that one.

Oct 23, 2010 at 05:11 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #4 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Are you using backbutton or the AF-ON button for focusing? AI Servo for focusing mode or what? As Russ stated, we need more info.

Suggest to use Zoombrowser on these pics to show the focus point and re-post so that we can see where the focus points are.

Oct 23, 2010 at 05:56 AM
mxrider641
• •
p.1 #5 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

I have not shot much at night, but during the day I am very pleased with the focus of my 7D. Here is one shot across the field that it did a nice job on...granted I am shooting at F4 with a 70-200. This is using single point expansion, AI servo and * to focus.

And cropped a bit...

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #6 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Well I'd say there is a lot of play for the AF to get confused since you are not right on the action. Let alone the only one almost in focus is the last one.

There are a lot of factors to this as stated, we need to know exactly what the focus was set to and where the focus point was located.

There is a reason many pros didn't like the 7D and the AF is pretty much why.

Oct 23, 2010 at 01:05 PM
f5chaserokla

p.1 #7 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Sorry I did not give enough information.

Shooting AI Servo, Manual mode, shutter = 400, spot metering, and use AF button with pre-tracking on center subject before shooting. I don't think the blue on blue is affecting this problem or not as I have had this issue all season long. I suspect that it is something that I am doing for night shots.

I am not sure what you mean by maintaining focus tracking throughout the sequence. If you mean keeping my red center dot on the subject then the answer is yes. As you can see in the sequence the first shot is somewhat in focus then the next 2 it just looses it and the last shot it picks it back up again. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Oct 23, 2010 at 02:50 PM
KathleenMartin
• •
p.1 #8 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

I'm using my 7D but I've set the custom functions based on this post.

I recently had to send my camera into Canon to have the system board replaced so it came back with everything at factory settings. I did a shoot with some action without customizing and noticed the lag in focus. I'll definitely re-do my settings before I take it out again. I only run into focus issues when it's very dark...

Good luck!

Oct 23, 2010 at 03:47 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #9 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

I think you can solve this with a custom function setting. You will see out-of-focus series when the focus point moves off the target and onto the background. Especially if you have C.fn III-1 set too fast - that is, how quickly the camera shifts to the new focus point when the focus spot moves to a new target (or the new target moves into the focus spot). This is why other posters here want to see where your focus point is.

But that is not the problem here. Note that the background is not in focus in your OOF shots - really nothing is in focus.

I think what is happening is the focus spot moves off the player since you are so far from the play (the camera needs you to fill the frame more with the target) and the lens is hunting over the full focus range. When the player moved out of the focus spot your camera signaled the lens to go through the full range of focus to try to lock onto a subject. In your series the lens went to the close end of its focus range - thus everything at any distance was blurred.

When shooting sports and other subjects (such as birds in flight) you want to prevent the lens from running through the full focus range - you want to basically freeze the focus at the point that it was when it lost a subject and give the camera the chance to pick up on the target again, which it will eventually do. I had much better luck with my 1D3 and the Canon super teles with this lens drive set to off.

By setting custom function C.fn III-4 to #2 which is off, it turns that hunting off and you may get better results. Check out this Canon web site for a really thorough explanation of the custom functions.

Let us know how this works out for you. Good luck!

Edited on Oct 25, 2010 at 01:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2010 at 04:34 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #10 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Long story short, wait for the action to get close to you. Turn the IS off. Bring up the ISO some as well as your shutter speed. Being that far away from the action you may think your on target but you probebly are not as David and others have mentioned.

Jeff

Oct 23, 2010 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

That sucks, I shot a few times with a 5d and 300 2.8 and it struggled at night games. Obviously, focus on that camera sucked.
Shot last night at my nephews game with the D700 with 70-200VRII with kenko 1.4X on it and focus was spot on. And that was at F4, 1/200th, ISO 6400 and some minor fill flash. I can't state enough reasons why I hate Canon. They have some awesome gear but their whole philosophy of handicapping low and midrange cameras is reason enough. I've found it's best to use as few points as possible with anything but a 1 series camera.

Oct 23, 2010 at 09:16 PM
f5chaserokla

p.1 #12 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Raise the ISO? Heck, I was already at 3200 but I will try it. I am not sure I understand turning off the IS (why pay all the $$$ for an L series lens with IS then if I can't use it). I am just trying to understand if it is the camera or something that I am doing.

Note that the background is not in focus in your OOF shots - really nothing is in focus. I know that this is probably a separate problem but I do have photos from this same game that subject is OOF and background is clear.

BTW..Thank you I have visited the links provided above and changed my settings. I'll try again next Friday night.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

one item not mentioned yet.....what setting is the "search range" of the lens set for

if you have it set on the short side....lens will search longer time than if you have it to the furthest distance. especially in poor light and like colors

then out of focus images in a "series" become more noticable

just a thought to the overall settings

Edited on Oct 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM
ids50

p.1 #14 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

My 7D is great in good light. I have noticed it struggles in low light to acquire and maintain focus. I use the same settings Kathleen mentioned in this thread.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM
f5chaserokla

p.1 #15 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Note...I did check the lens and it was set to 1.9m and not 3.5m. I will try it on the 3.5 m setting. Thank you so much

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #16 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

f5,
With that body and lens combo (reach)you will need to wait for the action to get close to you, even more so at night.
The 7D from what I have seen (Idont have one) will handle higher ISO you really need to gewt that shutter speed up and if you can close it down some like 3.5.
Or get a flash set up on a mono pod (if allowed) Thats normally how I shoot as that is what Maxpreps wants.
Short of maybe renting a 1D II or something to try it out, your probebly not going to get the preformance of one with a 7D.
I typically use a 1DIII or IIn with a 200 1.8 and a 1.4 TC with flash mounted under.
Jeff

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #17 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

You asked what IS has to do with focusing, well it's just more for the cpu's to work on so it's bound to slow things up. Plus it's not needed for sports because you'll be shooting at a faster shutterspeed to stop action negating the need for IS. IS is good for many other things, but most sports isn't one of them. I really like it for panning shots in motorsports though.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM
f5chaserokla

p.1 #18 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

Thank you guys so much. Can't wait til next Friday night.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:46 AM
JohnR84740
• •
p.1 #19 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

f5,

I also use the 7D, and get pretty decent results from it in a wide variety of settings. Its AF performance is not 1 series, but then again, neither is its price! As you experiment with the gear and learn its limitations, I think you too will be happy with the sports performance of the camera.

I see that you have checked out the SS article, and that will give you some decent settings for your custom functions. I use slightly different settings, but to each his/her own.

As others in this thread have said, the action needs to be a bit closer to you with the 70-200. Especially at night, you need to use a more contrasty area to help focus lock on, such as the number on the jersey. A monopod helps, and it does take some practice!

Oct 24, 2010 at 03:41 AM
f5chaserokla

p.1 #20 · UPDATE!!! HELP!!! Stupid 7D focus..arghhhhh

I do use a monopod and it is a 200mm fixed. It is so crazy as I shoot any where from 500-600 pictures per night and maybe 50 are usable. 10% is not very good percentages in my book.

Oct 24, 2010 at 03:56 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password