Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2010 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

fb101
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Angela

Oct 19, 2010 at 04:56 AM
Brooke Clyde
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

After several years of seeing these images, I don't really get most of them, yet the crowd goes wild. Most seem to me to be semi-interesting shots with nude women. While that's better than semi-interesting shots without nude women, I still don't get it. I'm serious here: what is it about fb101's work that enthralls everyone? I am willing and anxious to learn ...

Oct 19, 2010 at 06:21 AM
Csae
• • •
p.1 #3 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Like most work that is considered art, its a question of whether or not you can connect to it.

Some i can connect to, others i can't. So far its always been worth at least a look

Oct 19, 2010 at 06:29 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Brooke Clyde wrote:
After several years of seeing these images, I don't really get most of them, yet the crowd goes wild. Most seem to me to be semi-interesting shots with nude women. While that's better than semi-interesting shots without nude women, I still don't get it. I'm serious here: what is it about fb101's work that enthralls everyone? I am willing and anxious to learn ...

No doubt! I don't get it either and sometimes wonder if this guy has 100 aliases to use on here. These models he uses look anorexic or maybe they have other problems but wow most of the shots are not flattering at all and very amateurish IMO One other thing that really bugs me is that FB never contributes to this forum for others, just his own ego.

Your art is someone elses garbage and that is a nasty shot!

Oct 19, 2010 at 09:48 AM
gridironphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Wow - a pretty tough crowd this morning. I like f101's pictures because they present some very beautiful women in a more authentic manner than most beauty shots. Because they are not PS'd and smoothed to death, the have a certain vulnerability and express a personality that a photograph of what most viewers would consider the typical beautiful photograph seem to miss. JMHO.

Oct 19, 2010 at 01:00 PM
kayautho

p.1 #6 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

I'm sorry that I'm not as articulate as gridironphoto so all I can say is that I'm in total agreement. I'd also like to add that fb's images are always perfectly lighted and the poses are symmetrically balanced. The locations are always unique. I consider them art.

Oct 19, 2010 at 01:35 PM
Pandacat
• • •
p.1 #7 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Sometimes you like it. Sometimes you don't.

I enjoy viewing his work because of the lighting. I have learned a lot from seeing his angles, perspectives, shadows...

And John P, you are wrong. I have seen and read many contributions/comments from fb about the work of others.

I find it interesting that most comments about nude women are based on how much the pictures make the viewer want to bed the model. If the viewer thinks the model is "hot", then the comments tend to be positive. If the viewer is not "turned on" by the picture, then the comments tend to be negative.

Just an observation.

Oct 19, 2010 at 01:44 PM
SJMD
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

He knows how to use light,
he works with different ideas and themes
every shot is not the "same"
and please remember that he is from another country that does not always
conform to our way of thinking. ( and I wish I could speak french )

On a broader subject, I try to look at all photographs to learn. Practice what I like and avoid what I dislike ( like the flare shots that some love ).

but if you really want to learn, ask fb101 questions about his work, he has always been gracious to my comments. I used to ask him why he did not take the same image with his models wearing cloths.

fb101 thanks again for allowing me to view your work

best

steve

Oct 19, 2010 at 02:02 PM
Pandacat
• • •
p.1 #9 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

To follow up on my previous comment....

Same model in the thread "Multi Moods". Very positive comments. Color photo, appealing pose, gentle light.

This shot, negative comments. Black & White, edgy lighting, non-sexy pose.

Just saying...

Oct 19, 2010 at 02:13 PM
Brooke Clyde
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

gridironphoto wrote:
Wow - a pretty tough crowd this morning. I like f101's pictures because they present some very beautiful women in a more authentic manner than most beauty shots. Because they are not PS'd and smoothed to death, the have a certain vulnerability and express a personality that a photograph of what most viewers would consider the typical beautiful photograph seem to miss. JMHO.

OK. I see that.

Oct 19, 2010 at 02:59 PM

jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

There is often something interesting going on in fb101's pictures on a symbolic level, he seems to apply a sculptor's sense of three dimensional space to some of his pictures, and they generally have a gritty-though-polished feel to them that I find appealing. Besides, they have naked chicks in them. So I consider it art with naked women (some nude, some uninhibitedly naked), who admittedly could sometimes use a hamburger...

Regarding that comment by Mulgrew re: anorexia, I am constantly astonished at the close-minded attitudes of people here. Similarly, in merirem's threads people constantly rag on her photos and model with the upper lip stud, though she shows more style and talent than many here (granting that almost everyone here is above my level of talent). What, can't one take a picture of a thin woman these days? Is it off limits to take an honest, stylish picture of a woman with embedded jewelry-- is that subject now off limits photographically? Maybe the intent of the pictures you're looking at is not to titillate you erotically, or even to present an image of a woman in a way that most would find most pretty-- ever think of that?

If I shot nudes, personally, I would seek at least some of the time to escape from the tyranny of the semi-erotic nude. One must be able to take a photograph of a woman or man from other than the model's "best" angles, our sense of which is really driven at bottom by biological impulses and cultural stereotypes and memes. How could one ever discover something new of interest if one stuck to the same old poses and settings?

And fb101 does post on others' threads here. I don't think you should smear someone if you don't know what you're talking about.

Oct 19, 2010 at 03:07 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

[And John P, you are wrong. I have seen and read many contributions/comments from fb about the work of others. ]

Really? I go back 6 months and see nothing but replying to his own posts. His shots are all basically the same thing but his clothed shots he's posted in the past were good to look at. To me it's the same thing over and over and over again. I just don't get it.

[Regarding that comment by Mulgrew re: anorexia, I am constantly astonished at the close-minded attitudes of people here. Similarly, in merirem's threads people constantly rag on her photos and model with the upper lip stud, though she shows more style and talent than many here (granting that almost everyone here is above my level of talent). What, can't one take a picture of a thin woman these days? Is it off limits to take an honest, stylish picture of a woman with embedded jewelry-- is that subject now off limits photographically?]

Maybe he's going for that Heroin look that was so big back in the 90's, anorexic or drug users, either way they look the part IMO I'm not talking about beauty.

Oct 19, 2010 at 04:12 PM
Chris Chris
• •
p.1 #13 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

I look at all his work. Do I like all of it? Not necessarily. Do I hate all of it? Not necessarily. Do I like his choice of models? Not for the most part. Art is subjective...........and extremely personal...........and definitely biased in it's satisfaction for both artist and viewer. I'll keep looking at his work, liking some and not some. Though I no longer shoot art nudes, I'm not adverse to learning from them.

Oct 19, 2010 at 04:45 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

I'm going to try and respond to some of these comments that were left:

You can't judge an artist on one piece of art. It has to be on the body of work as a whole. In this particular case,
I don't particularly enjoy this photo. But Francois (fb101) has produced several pieces that I really do enjoy.
The one's that I do generally like are because of interesting compositional aspects, and well executed lighting. Of
course, not all of his shots meet this criteria. But I don't dismiss him totally just because I dont like some of his work.

Agreed... but hey, put up a nude photo of an anorexic chic and guys go wild... go figure. Just like seeing tons of horrible photos of "hotties" and guys go wild, yet put up a great portrait of an average looking girl and no one comments.

Commenting on the physical appearance of models is something we frown upon on this forum. If you want to post
here, I advise commenting on the photo, and not critiquing the eating habits of the subject.

Oct 19, 2010 at 05:11 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

I must chime in as well regarding Francois' "lack of commenting on other's photos".

He has commented on almost every one of my posts, with positive and constructive criticism, which I appreciate - well, at least, he used to... Francois?

As for this image, not my cup of tea either, but just as we would never comment that a particular is UGLY, nor should we on her other physical shape. Now, obnoxious piercings and hideous tattoos...they have control over and that is a different story

greg

Oct 19, 2010 at 05:28 PM
sitw
• •
p.1 #16 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

OH NO! I see ribs!
<Looks down at my own ribs, I must be anorexic, probably shouldn't run today, must eat till I am in the clear>

Maybe it's just me but she doesn't look anywhere thin enough to say she's anorexic even as an exaggeration. But then I am a runner and I hang out with runners and none of the girls on our womens team are anorexic, just in shape.

As to the photo, it is far from my favorites from Francois. I like the location, I like the BW conversion, but there is just something about the posing that doesn't click for me. I would like to see it where both of here legs were together near the viewers right wall and her arms leaning towards the left, exaggerating the sort of sinusoidal curve thing going on with her leg+hips+back. Don't know if anyone gets what I am saying.

Oct 19, 2010 at 05:58 PM
fb101
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

Just to say that I read everything that is written here but, of course, I'm the least well placed to comment...

Thanks to those who take my defence end thanks also to those who state their dislikes about my work. It is the sort of basic freedom I would never fight

Oct 19, 2010 at 06:14 PM
bwalwork
• •
p.1 #18 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

What a neat thread!

I don't always get Francois' point, but then Picasso is a bit tough for me too. As others have already stated, he's gracious and from what I can learn from FMer's comments, a gentleman.

I enjoy seeing his work, whether it turns my crank or not.

Keep up the great posts, Francois - the comments are always great, even when I don't dig the images.

Oct 19, 2010 at 06:24 PM
nsarcastic
• •
p.1 #19 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

fb101 wrote:
It is the sort of basic freedom I would never fight

Totally agree. Also it must be noted that comments usually say as much if not much more about the person making them than the one toward whom the comments are aimed.

Neal

Oct 19, 2010 at 07:04 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #20 · Tough girl ( NUDE )

I'm another who rarely "gets" what the photos are about. At least I don't think I get it.

Many leave me with a edgy, uncomfortable feeling as I frequently see anger and despair in his images.

Oct 19, 2010 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password