Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2010 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

What stage am I at when I get THIS photo Russ?

http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/986149288_QG5DV-O.jpg

Good post mister.

Oct 13, 2010 at 09:57 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Well, dj, the Alesse scale is a whole 'nother ball of wax. If this is my thesis, that'll be my dissertation and I'll let you know when I've made some progress . Now, is she thinking you're a dreamer, or dreamy? Can't read that one very well.... . Love it!

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

DJ, I'm with you. I got a similar image, so I'd like to know what level that is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48323/dragiclopez.jpg

I won't opine on where I believe I'm at, just happy where I am.

Max

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Well, MaxDawg, clearly you are at the inner circle level with this one. That's one heck of a goofy photo.

Oct 14, 2010 at 01:06 AM
cm0rris0n
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

PShizzy wrote:
I won't opine on where I believe I'm at, just happy where I am.

Max

I think if I ever end up happy with where I am, it's time to find something else to do. To me, the challenge of always trying to get better is part of what I love about photography.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

PShizzy wrote:
DJ, I'm with you. I got a similar image, so I'd like to know what level that is.

I think I'd be worried about this one! One thing to have young ladies find you "dreamy", but when hairy grown MEN do? Yikes...

Too funny Max!

Oct 14, 2010 at 04:06 PM
msauk
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

The one thing I have always loved about photography is that every time you go out there and shoot it is a challenge.

To me there was always a first when shooting. That is what made it fun.

From little league to high school, to professional, every time you go out there will be a challenging circumstance.

JMHO

Oct 14, 2010 at 04:19 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Speaking "Words of wisdom, let it be"

Thanks Russ.

Ted

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

I totally agree and I might have missed something, but I always feel that everyone can crop a good picture to make it a great picture. But can you make a great picture in camera? ie fill the frame!!! I see a lot of decent shots but many are major crops. And some of them are major crops!! Yes there are times when I make a decent crop as well but most of the time I fill the frame, whether it be a tight shot or full body. I know it does depend on the gear, but if you are around stage 7,8,9 you should have the gear as well right??!!

I don't have time to go cropping every shot!!

Feel I flutter around 7-9 most of the time...

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM
polarbare
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

I agree on filling the frame to try to reduce cropping, but disagree on the equipment. As someone who shoots PT for a university I just can't justify some expenditures that I'd love like a 400 2.8. I think the 8 & 9 guys get their shots regardless as they can adapt; conversely the GWC with a 400 2.8 has the gear but perhaps not the experience.

Oct 15, 2010 at 02:47 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Perhaps...but pros at anything tend to use pro level equipment. Doesnt matter if you are a carpenter or a photographer, the tools of the trade are required. You dont see a master carpenter using black and decker power tools....

GWC doesnt have a 400 2.8....and if he has one, he still doesnt have access.

Remember many of the "pros" dont own the equipment they are walking around with. You can usually tell cause its all beat to hell cause they have no investment. Guys that own their kit take better care of it cause they had to pay for it. Almost all the newspaper guys are using the papers gear.

Oct 15, 2010 at 02:56 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Brad & Brad, both very true. I make due with my 300 2.8, as well as a 1.4 tc. But many times the Pro's have at least access to the gear needed to get the job done which also means renting if needed. Which I do if it is a paid assignment where I need to get THE shot. A GWC might own the gear but still can't command it, and can't adapt.

I move with the action when I can, and work with what I have to work with, many GWC just stick in a spot and shoot.

And as BB stated many don't own the gear, its just a press pool lens.

Just remember the PRO gear does not make the photographer a PRO.

Oct 16, 2010 at 06:32 PM
mbaumser
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

as a GWC (a 400 2.8 and 1dmkII and more) You are correct, the gear hasn't made me any better. This forum, has.

Thanks

Oct 18, 2010 at 02:07 PM
supastr
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Paul/Russ/ & of course Bryan:

I just hope that one day my skills with the gear brings me back up to the level where I can post on here again & compete with your guys' talent. One can only dream...

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

supastr wrote:
Paul/Russ/ & of course Bryan:

I just hope that one day my skills with the gear brings me back up to the level where I can post on here again & compete with your guys' talent. One can only dream...

Wise guy, eh? I'm speechless.....where the hell have you been?!

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:24 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

bryanlc wrote:
...snip...

Cmo, I think I'm where your at...... floating from 6-8. As a part timer it's hard to get a rhythm that an every day journalist gets. That said I believe we expect 6-10 standouts because of the # of frames we are able to shoot and that's not always possible.

The weaker contests push me to shoot more feature images away from the game. I also look for dejection in the team on the wrong end.

Just so you guys know, this guy doesn't have a clue where he is. A hint: much higher than he gives himself credit for, especially for a part-timer.

As for me, I'm probably not a floater, but a 'floatie', like something unidentifiable that's floating in the punchbowl at a party.

Great job, Russ.

Oct 20, 2010 at 01:05 PM
supastr
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Russ Isabella wrote:
Wise guy, eh? I'm speechless.....where the hell have you been?!

I have just been hanging out trying to hone my skills and figure out which direction I am heading with the photo thing.. What is going on in the great state of Utah?

Oct 20, 2010 at 01:34 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Nice post Russ, and I can honestly say, I have been here on this site since late 2003 as a lurker, 2004 as a member and about 2005 or 6 as a moderator and I have watched (and helped) people come on here without a clue to which way they should point their camera, learn from observation, participate by asking the right questions, apply what they have learned, repeat, grow in ability, learn more, share what they have learned, start shooting for small clients (rec leagues, little leagues, clubs) on a regular basis, and then start shooting on regular basis for big organizations, wires, magazines, become team photographers for NCAA teams, Pro Soccer teams, and so on. I firmly believe that next to taking photo classes in high school/college, this website is one of the best places to learn and really define you as a photographer.

Well done...

Jan 22, 2011 at 01:21 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Carl: Couldn't agree more. In fact, I still remember the first time, many years ago, I saw your comment to someone about their horizon being off. It took me a while to figure out what that meant. Then I was sure it didn't matter and your feedback was more 'off' than the horizon. Then, eventually, I began to pay attention. And I began to see that it did matter. Began to consider it with my own work. And of course, eventually, began providing similar critique . The list of such qualities of a good photo is very long, and as testament to what you're saying, virtually every item on that list, for me, comes from the give-and-take of this website, the Sports Corner in particular.

Jan 22, 2011 at 01:31 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Evolution of a Sports Shooter

Carl Auer wrote:
Nice post Russ, and I can honestly say, I have been here on this site since late 2003 as a lurker, 2004 as a member and about 2005 or 6 as a moderator and I have watched (and helped) people come on here without a clue to which way they should point their camera, learn from observation, participate by asking the right questions, apply what they have learned, repeat, grow in ability, learn more, share what they have learned, start shooting for small clients (rec leagues, little leagues, clubs) on a regular basis, and then start shooting on regular
...Show more

I agree & want to thank all who have helped me with positive and negative comments. I really appreciate them.

Rags

Jan 22, 2011 at 03:47 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.