Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

SAng
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

I passed by a Blacks today and they had a D3100 so I asked to see it. I wanted to try the Quiet mode above all else, and... I was underwhelmed, to say the least. To me, it did not quite sound any softer than the normal sound.

I had been interested in upgrading my D60 to the D3100, and as weird as it might come across this might be a deal breaker for me.

So I'd be interested in the opinions of those who have both the D3100 and any other Nikon DSLR that has quiet mode - is this about par for the course, or is the D3100 quiet mode unduly loud?

Would really appreciate any comments...

P.S. On a side note - the sales associate said that they sold 12 D3100s (with the kit lens) yesterday, at that one store alone.

Oct 06, 2010 at 07:01 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

well the quite mode isn't made to be any "quieter"...like it doesn't change anything, except it separates the movement of the mirror and shutter into two different stages...so basically, if you you press and HOLD the shutter release, the mirror flips, up, and the shutter moves.....and it stays there until you RELEASE the shutter button, and it resets the mirror/shutter....so it makes the sound LESS noticeable.....not really quieter....i think canon had a silent mode that worked a lot better.....

Oct 06, 2010 at 07:27 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

IIRC the Canon system is the same as Nikon's, I had it on a 1DIII
Press the button, turn around and release the button. This way the sound of the second "click" points to another direction. It's not great but it works.

Oct 06, 2010 at 07:53 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

Thanks for the responses. I understood that it breaks the shutter sequence into two parts, and that's what I did: trip the shutter and keep holding down the release for a while.

What may have figured into unrealistic expectations on my part was hearing elsewhere that they also modify mirror and shutter movement under quiet mode somewhat, so the slap isn't as loud.

See: http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/scene/28/index_02.htm, second question from the top.
This function slows down the mirror movement and shutter charge behavior to make the camera quieter.

Maybe this aspect of the quiet mode design from the D5000 did not quite make it into the D3100.

I expected the initial shutter and mirror slap to be somewhat (perhaps only slightly) quieter, but also for the overall perception of loudness to be less - assuming that one held on to the shutter button for a while before releasing it. To me when I tried it, neither of these expectations were borne out.

Oct 06, 2010 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

krickett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

Sang, I have both the D5000, and D60, and I've found the D5000 to be significantly quieter than the D60 *as it is*. The quiet mode is only slightly quieter than that (since all it does is separate the mechanical movements). I don't think it would be a deal breaker, but if you're looking for a quiet camera, the D5000 (and I imagine, the D3100) are both pretty good.

Oct 06, 2010 at 09:19 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

Now that is interesting. The thing is that I found the D3100 - quiet mode or not - to be louder than my D60. It's not a bad sound - it sounds nice and solid - just not ideal for certain situations. For those I was hoping for Quiet mode to help to some extent. In comparison I find the D60 to have a fairly quiet shutter sound as is.

So it's nice to hear that you find the D5000 to be quieter than the D60. I've heard elsewhere that is is a quiet camera, too. Part of all this is for me deciding between the D3100 and D5000, and this aspect is tipping the balance toward the latter, somewhat.

Oct 06, 2010 at 10:17 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

i did some research on the canon 40d silent mode...now THAT is silent...BUT, it utilizes the live view function...so the mirror is already up.....unlike with nikon's live view shooting, where the mirror flips back down, and then back up for the actual capture....kinda stupid....the canon version works like this...(well how it was explained to me...)....the mirror is already up, and you're in live view....while it's up, with sensor exposed, you press the shutter release, and the sensor starts recording, then at the end of the exposure, the 2nd curtain of the shutter moves to complete the exposure....supposedly...and it's super quiet....

Oct 07, 2010 at 01:09 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3100 - what is up with Quiet mode?

On the D3100, in live view mode, the mirror doesn't drop down before taking a shot. However, the response is really slow for some reason.

I'll lay money that we'll see a firmware upgrade in the not too distant future. (We'll just have to wait for the Aussie dollar to drop in value first!)

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password