Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2010 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

vulferius
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

SHVv wrote:
For the person who asked about height, I am 6' 3" and the pack seems to fit me quite well. I will know better after some real use.

I am only 5'6" and the pack fits quite well, it is snug without being tight and in no way restricts movement (went for a five mile hike with the pack yesterday). It distributes weight nicely and was still comfortable at the end of the outing.

-Jeff

Oct 06, 2010 at 09:54 PM
EndoRando

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Another question for Ian if he checks in:

I just happened to check your website today since I'm researching for a pack that holds camera gear plus. Your packs mention the Molle system and Dakota series attachments. I see the straps on the packs for the Dakota items, but no items on your site. Can you give us some insight please. thanks.

Oct 07, 2010 at 01:05 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

side1021 wrote:
Hi Ian,

by any chance do you know the height of the person in the picture?

Thanks for the input by the way!

192cm.

Oct 07, 2010 at 04:33 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Todd Warnke wrote:
Ian, how does the hydration bladder work and is the Loka shipping with the bladder holder? Thanks man.

Peace,

Todd

Hi todd,

It connects to a loop inside the Loka and hangs in a pouch. You can then place it in the inside front panel sleeve. The hose goes through the top via a velcro hypalon slot which then slides through a mesh sleeve on the shoulder strap and then has a little velcro nozzle holder.

Rain cover and bladder sleeve are optional items. Both available in November.

The reason we do not include these items is because only a small amount of people actually use these pieces. So including them would require a price jump we would rather not make and put on all our customers.

Oct 07, 2010 at 04:36 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

SHVv wrote:
A quick question for Ian if he checks back in.

The zippered panel of the ICU has also been upgraded and is now padded. With the "old" ICU, I folded the flap under the ICU when it was in the pack. With the new ICU design, what is the recommended way to use the "flap". With the added protection, I thought that I would leave it unzipped but covering the ICU contents; is this what the designers have intended?

Steve

This is a gray area.

I made the lid like it is (removable) so you can have the option to remove the padding.

You can use the ICU for full padded storage or when it is in the bag and shooting you can remove the padding and tuck the lid under the base.

That is how it is designed to function.

It is open to be used how you see fit and what works best for you. Some guys like the extra layer under the base for protection, some guys like to leave so it works as another door... I prefer the least amount of bulk, weight and fastest access.

Oct 07, 2010 at 04:47 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

EndoRando wrote:
Another question for Ian if he checks in:

I just happened to check your website today since I'm researching for a pack that holds camera gear plus. Your packs mention the Molle system and Dakota series attachments. I see the straps on the packs for the Dakota items, but no items on your site. Can you give us some insight please. thanks.

Hey Evan,

Yes we have many pieces in development. As always our planned schedule is a little behind

But i can tell you that our molle digi case(holds compact, phones, binocs etc..), lens barrels, flashcard wallet and molle belt are finalized but still at least 3 months to being sold (sorry takes time to get it to the retail level.

In development are Holster- chest/waist mount type drop ins, minimal lens drop ins and a few other items.

Sorry i can not post images yet. In fact this is the first I have publicly spoke about any of it. But there coming.

Oct 07, 2010 at 04:59 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

"inside front panel sleeve" - is front the part at your back or the part farthest away from you back?

j.

Oct 07, 2010 at 09:02 AM
phidong
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

IanMillar wrote:
I made the lid like it is (removable) so you can have the option to remove the padding.

Awesome. I didn't even realize it was removable.

JohnJ80 wrote:
"inside front panel sleeve" - is front the part at your back or the part farthest away from you back?

j.

I believe he is talking about inside the bag, in the sleeve farthest away from your back. That's where I have my 3L platypus bladder right now. I'm actually using the velcro to hook the top loop on the bladder since it is a bit longer than the sleeve and I don't want it to collapse in on itself.

I have the velcro going through that tab on the top.

Oct 07, 2010 at 05:03 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

I'm wondering if there is a way to make sure that bladder doesn't freeze on cold days. That's when I'll need it.

J.

Oct 07, 2010 at 09:59 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

JohnJ80 wrote:
I'm wondering if there is a way to make sure that bladder doesn't freeze on cold days. That's when I'll need it.

J.

My issue with the location of the bladder is that to access the camera gear the pack often ends up on it's back - or in this case, on the bladder. Yes, I know, no perfect gear, but I still wish the bladder was side mounted (with a dedicated tripod mount on the other side please).

Todd

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

JohnJ80 wrote:

J.

Oh yeah, one good way is to avoid freezing in the winter is to add only a mininal amount water to the brandy in the bladder.

And in spite of my carpping about the location of the bladder in my post above, I'll probably order a Loka next week.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:26 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

I tried the brandy/water thing. Suddenly discovered that all my lenses were bad copies. Mysteriously fixed the next day. Hmmm.

I suppose I could get one of those insulating sleeves for the bladder and then through in some of those body warmer packets for the really cold days - making sure to blow the water back into the bladder so it won't freeze in the hose.

J.

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:42 PM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Todd Warnke wrote:
My issue with the location of the bladder is that to access the camera gear the pack often ends up on it's back - or in this case, on the bladder. Yes, I know, no perfect gear, but I still wish the bladder was side mounted (with a dedicated tripod mount on the other side please).

Todd

You could just tuck the sleeve down the side. Personally don't like to have it in the side as water also weighs a good amount and effects the bag balance.

I usually use Platypus bladders. This way you can break up your water storage and easily change out bladders when there finished. It is also nice because you can have water and some sugary energy cocktail. I enjoy a sweet drink after a long haul or at the end of my sweaty journey.

Platypus are also very light and when finished roll up in to almost nothing. Highly recommended.

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:48 PM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

I find on the cold days I usually come home with at least 3/4 of the water i packed. Water consumption is minimal in the cold for me.

I guess its the minimal sweat mixed with trying to keep moving.

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:52 PM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Another thing people likely think is very foolish, I put water/drinks in my ICU if there is room. Keeping the weight in that area is ideal. Never had a breakdown/spill...

Oct 07, 2010 at 10:54 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

IanMillar wrote:
I find on the cold days I usually come home with at least 3/4 of the water i packed. Water consumption is minimal in the cold for me.

I guess its the minimal sweat mixed with trying to keep moving.

Actually, where you lose your hydration in the cold is through breathing. Especially at altitude where you breathe more rapidly it gets worse fast. It may be easier to get dehydrated in the cold than in the heat, I believe. Also, because you aren't sweating, it sneaks up on you.

J.

Oct 07, 2010 at 11:32 PM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Looks like Christian Pondella already got his Loka in the high country. envy.

Oct 08, 2010 at 12:18 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

JohnJ80 wrote:
Actually, where you lose your hydration in the cold is through breathing. Especially at altitude where you breathe more rapidly it gets worse fast. It may be easier to get dehydrated in the cold than in the heat, I believe. Also, because you aren't sweating, it sneaks up on you.

J.

Yes I understand that to be the proper way... but from days out that hows it seems to go...

Oct 08, 2010 at 12:20 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

I do SAR etc... be careful, dehydration in the cold is very sneaky.

J.

Oct 08, 2010 at 12:58 AM
IanMillar
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · F-Stop Loka, finally! (bonus: side-by-side Tilopa)

Another shot of Pondella for the hype wagon

http://cdn.fstopgear.com/images/stories/pondellaloka/-4.jpg

Oct 08, 2010 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.