Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              11       12       end

Archive 2010 · poster sharing

Tractor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · poster sharing

Any Comments could be greatly appreciated....

Fèile poster 5 by DMK., on Flickr

May 17, 2011 at 08:50 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · poster sharing

Elco is fine, just in my experience with having to order 2 or more, it is sometimes not practical unless you get a lot of orders at once and can submit them all together, then it is great. However, for single orders that come in occasionally from online sales I just use my local lab or H&H.

Here are a few samples of my work. I would love to hear what you all think. There have been some great samples so far and a lot of great ideas to build on. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Billy-

http://www.frontrow-photo.com/Galleries/Samples/annaweb3.jpg

http://www.frontrow-photo.com/Galleries/Samples/brandonweb.jpg

http://www.frontrow-photo.com/Galleries/Samples/panthers3web.jpg

May 18, 2011 at 09:20 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · poster sharing

Billy...I think these are some fine looking posters. Very nice touch.

Frank Lauri

May 18, 2011 at 09:31 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · poster sharing

Tractor, I like it, has a nice grunge feel to it with the texture and font. I think the team shot might work better either as a cutout, or fading the edges a little more, and maybe shifting the shot a little to the right. Just nits, though, the overall green and red tones really bring it together.

Billy- wow, all three are winners, but 2 and 3 are amazing. Everything about them is awesome- great imagination and execution, processing, and wonderful use of simulated light sources. Top notch stuff, I love 'em-- keep them coming.... the bar has just been upped.

May 18, 2011 at 09:36 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · poster sharing

Frank & Tom,

Thanks for the compliments. Even though I have been involved with photography on and off since 1993, I took a break the last 7 years or so because my job didn't allow me the time I needed to focus on getting better. Over the course of the last year or so, things have changed with my work situation and I now have the time to devote to creating great images and I am loving every minute of it. I can only hope to get better with each new day, and this board and all the advice and c/c from all of the great shooters here will definitely help with that.

Billy-

May 18, 2011 at 09:47 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · poster sharing

BTW - Tom, your poster of Jake Rodriguez on page 1 is MINDBLOWING! Awesome work. I love the colors you chose to implement on the background.

May 18, 2011 at 09:49 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · poster sharing

Welcome to the forum, Billy, this place has some talented people that are always willing to offer any help that's asked for. Doesn't look to me like you'll need it, though, lol.
Lighting your subjects for your posters is a big improvement over the standard game-action shots, but you've got a good vision going, and your posters look crisp and professional. Like I said, keep them coming...

May 18, 2011 at 09:53 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · poster sharing

Billy, great work. Did you green screen your athletes on the last two or cut them out in Photoshop? As Tom said, 2 and 3 are really, really nice. 1 is nice too, but just like the others better.

May 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · poster sharing

Tim, I used Hi-key on the football shoot. Any time I shot green screen I could never quite get rid of the green cast in the skin tone. That is why I prefer to shoot Hi-key for this kind of stuff. Plus, it's easy enough to cut out in PS.

As far as the baseball poster is concerned, I just shot these full body shots as a quick add-on to a standard T&I shoot I did outside. Just asked them to give me serious looks, no smiles and asked them how to pose. Once again cut-outs were done in PS (although not quite as easily as the hi-key) and I offered this shot as an 8x10 or 16x20 to all of the parents of the boys on the team and everyone purchased at least an 8x10. This is something I will definitely consider doing more of in the future. Thanks for the comments.

May 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · poster sharing

Billy... your stuff is just okay. Consider adding some OTSS to your designs to really make them pop. I left my examples on page 2 of this thread if you need to see what I'm talking about.

May 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · poster sharing

Literally on that one Paul. I had forgotten about that post and was very intrigued to see what you were referring to.

May 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · poster sharing

Keep working on it Billy. I'm sure you'll get there.

May 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · poster sharing

Billy: Nice work!, Paul's other-worldliness notwithstanding. You've been holding out on me!

May 18, 2011 at 01:59 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · poster sharing

Russ, I've never held out on you....I would never do such a thing
I just didn't know if portraits or 'sportraits' were something I should include in that particular book. Although I would like your c/c on that work someday.

May 18, 2011 at 03:02 PM
Tractor

p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · poster sharing

Tom,

Thanks for the comments, wasn't really happy with the team photo. the cutout looks 100 times better.

I had another go with a landscape format, I'd love to hear the comments of the esteemed members here.

Thanks

Dec

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26478477@N08/5765333246/]

Edited on Aug 20, 2011 at 06:08 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2011 at 06:54 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · poster sharing

I like the landscape one better. There's more breathing room. On the vertical one, it seems like everything is being squeezed horizontally and the edge of that team shot might get lost on the print cut.

May 18, 2011 at 08:35 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · poster sharing

Tractor, both posters have a flat look to them. Try darkening the background behind the cutouts (using whatever method- levels, dodge, outer glow, etc) to create some separation. In the vertical poster, enlarge the main image more to showcase it and move it down a bit so the legs are behind the team shot and the ball isn't up against the top frame edge. You could also put some kind of starburst or something behind the ball or the players' heads, and some darker grunge stamping or dodging behind the big white text. Lastly, center the team shot- it's too far left.

May 20, 2011 at 07:52 AM
clindsey
• •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · poster sharing

Here are a couple I just finished

May 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · poster sharing

Both winners here Charlie.

May 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · poster sharing

WOW!! Both are great. The only thing I could say (and this is being extremely nit-picky) is in poster 2, I would have liked to have seen one or two of the kids on the right side of the image (let's say # 3 & 6 from the right, for arguements sake) moved over into fill the holes in towards the middle and left side of the image. Other than that, beautiful posters.

Can I ask what filter or action was used to create the 'smokey' aura on poster # 2?

Thanks,
Billy-

May 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.