Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

My Canon remote is flaking out, and as much as I hate buying knock-offs, I'm tired of the outlandish OEM prices.

Recent consensus on a couple of threads is that the newer knock-offs are pretty good, but I was hoping for a bit more reassurance and/or a link to a specific type or seller on eBay that is reputable.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2010 at 01:51 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Do you mean 3rd party remotes?

Sep 21, 2010 at 02:51 AM
phidong
• • • •
p.1 #3 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

I have a fake one and it works fine for me. I can't compare it with the original though. I believe I have the yongnuo one

Sep 21, 2010 at 07:24 AM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #4 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

I have the phottix and it works for me. Though slightly inferior QC on the finishing but who cares as long as it works

Sep 21, 2010 at 07:47 AM
duronboy
• •
p.1 #5 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

I got the yong nuo on eBay for $36. Works great, but the connector is a little loose. For extended time-lapse on a windy day I'd slap some gaffers tape on.

Sep 21, 2010 at 05:59 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Easily worth the savings for the eBay version

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/763356/0

Sep 21, 2010 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ronan O Keeffe
• • •
p.1 #7 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Have a linkdelight one and it works an absolute treat!

**EDIT** I see that's the one in the link above ^^ Cheers dfresh!

Sep 21, 2010 at 07:41 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Thanks for the reply.

The story about the one that went into the river had a picture that helped me realize just how simple these things are. So I'm guessing it's not something it would be particularly hard for anyone to "knock off".

I was also inspired to open mine up to see if I could spot any obvious problems. I didn't... but I remembered the issue was really with the cable. So I slit that open, and found a metal band around the cable near where the plastic plug is that keeps the cable from being pulled out. Removed that, figuring it had crimped the wires... nope.

What the heck, I figured.. and kept slicing the insulation. And I found that the copper "braiding" they used for one of the connections was completely frayed apart about 3 inches from the device. So much for "quality"... soldered that, and the unit works fine now.

I'll pick up a cheapie as insurance.

Sep 22, 2010 at 01:57 PM
rangda

p.1 #9 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Recent consensus on a couple of threads is that the newer knock-offs are pretty good, but I was hoping for a bit more reassurance and/or a link to a specific type or seller on eBay that is reputable.

I have both a TC-80N3 and a cheap knock off that I purchased on eBay a couple of years ago. I bought the knock off because the TC-80N3 does not fit with the RRS 40d L plate w/o moving it away from the body. The knock off had a smaller connector and was able to fit with the L plate flush to the body. The Canon product definitely has better build quality, but I haven't used it since I bought the no-name, which has worked fine for 2+ years. And it was 1/3 to 1/4 of the price so even if it broke it would be cheaper to buy 2-3 of them and toss the spares in a drawer.

Sep 22, 2010 at 07:05 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

Knock-offs different subject...I bought a Canon CP-E4 battery pack for $150.00 and a couple of knock off battery packs off Ebay for $20.00 apiece. They're almost identical and the knock offs work just as well. I would recommend the purchase of the knock off battery packs over the Canon battery pack.

Sep 27, 2010 at 01:19 PM
Peter2290
• •
p.1 #11 · TC-80N3 knock-offs

I got the Aputure brand from Linkdelight's Ebay page. I haven't used it a lot, but it works great so far.

Sep 27, 2010 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password