Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2010 · Adaptall thread

debuggerus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Adaptall thread

Nothing is as versatile as the adaptall line.
Please share your adaptal/2 or even adapt-a-matic experience here. I'll go first with something "spicy"

300/2.8 (60B):

Sep 03, 2010 at 04:20 PM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Adaptall thread

400/4

17/3.5

Sep 03, 2010 at 06:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Adaptall thread

good timing, a friend just lent me his 90mm f/2.5 macro to play with today.

haven't much chance to shoot with it, but here is one:

Sep 04, 2010 at 05:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Adaptall thread

Excellent timing for this thread for me. I just picked up an SP 90 2.5 (52BB) two days ago. Haven't even shot it yet other than a couple test shots with it.

Here's my comparison handheld grab shots from in the store ...
(sorry for the exposure variance, but I was mostly testing for CA & bokeh, so I just shot AV mode).

SP 90/2.5 Macro 1/250 ISO 800 wide open 1:2 sooc

M645 80/4 Macro 1/50 ISO 800 wide open 1:2 mfd sooc

Sep 04, 2010 at 01:57 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Adaptall thread

Back in the film days I hated Tamron. I only tried 4 but that was enough to make me hate the name forever. Now on M4/3 they're a little better but still I try to avoid them. I have two. One is an adaptall. It's not that good. It was fun to play with but it's not something I reach for when I want nice easy photos.

Tamron 28-200 f3.8 Aspherical

debuggerus, I'm probably sounding pretty negative at this point but why do you call them "versatile" exactly?

Sep 04, 2010 at 05:40 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Adaptall thread

debuggerus, I'm probably sounding pretty negative at this point but why do you call them "versatile" exactly?

Maybe because they can be ADAPTED to ALL major mounts?

Also, you need to know which Tamron's are the gems. Notably the SP (super performance) ones: http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/SP_Adaptall-2_LensIndex.html

Sep 04, 2010 at 06:07 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Adaptall thread

Oh, That's good to know thanks for the link!

On the adaptation thing isn't it the same thing as having to buy an adaptor? I mean you need the right part for the mount in question right? Isn't that the same thing as adaptors? Are there other advantages I'm not thinking of?

same lens - all were at f/3.8 BTW

Sep 04, 2010 at 06:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Adaptall thread

Bifurcator wrote:
Oh, That's good to know thanks for the link!

On the adaptation thing isn't it the same thing as having to buy an adaptor? I mean you need the right part for the mount in question right? Isn't that the same thing as adaptors? Are there other advantages I'm not thinking of?

yes, aperture control linkage (for the few camera makers that still use levers in their digital cameras). also you can buy an adapter no matter what camera you have - even nikon users who can't really adapt anything can get infinity focus with adaptall lenses.

Sep 04, 2010 at 06:52 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Adaptall thread

Hmmmm, OK, thanks man.

Yep, versatile!

Are the adaptall mount parts (adapters) still readily available? Or is it a hunt and peck kinda thing at the used sites and shops?

Sep 04, 2010 at 06:57 PM
debuggerus
• • •
p.1 #10 · Adaptall thread

Bifurcator,
I happened to have a quite good experience with the adaptall lenses. What started for me were the SP 17/3.5 and 24/2.5 that I used with my Konica Autoeflex T. I have since changed/used/collected so many different cameras, from maker to maker, from film to digital and they work perfectly on every of them ("versatile"). It's a very smart design in my opinion.
It's probably bad luck (or faith?) that you ran into a few that gave the you the bad impression about the entire line. I wholeheartedly suggest that you try some from the SP line. Many of them are excellent lenses.
A few that I like: SP 17/3.5, 24/2.5, SP 90/2.5 macro, SP 300/2.8, SP 24-48/3.5-3.8, SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, SP 70-150/2.8 softfocus, SP 70-210/3.5, SP 80-200/2.8

About adapters, they are very easy to find, from ebay to KEH. They even have knock off chinese made ones.
P

Sep 04, 2010 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Adaptall thread

Kewl, thanks! Yeah, I think it's bad luck and lack of knowledge. My (bad) experiences with Tamron happened in the 60's and 70's when over the course of a few years I tried four of their "newly released" (at the time) primes. On FF film IQ was poor and build quality was also not great... Light and plasticky at a time when solid and heavy was the thing. It wasn't till a few years later that I heard the same opinions voiced in rags like "Modern Photography" and "Popular Photography" which reinforced my ideas. I hadn't heard about the "SP" tag till just today - some 50 years later.

So yeah, luck and lack of knowledge.

Sep 04, 2010 at 08:08 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #12 · Adaptall thread

Bringing back the thread since I didn't get an chance to post any images from my 52BB -- I love this lens for portraits and I'm finding it works well for what its designed to do. I can't realistically find a reason to upgrade to the AF version of this lens...
Paul

Sep 10, 2010 at 09:28 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Adaptall thread

PeaktoPeek, that kid one is precious: "You want me to climb all the way up THERE?? Nooooooo....."

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Roy NN7DX
• • •
p.1 #14 · Adaptall thread

I'm pretty sure "Ricardovaste" (Not sure of spelling) has/had that 300mm/f2.8 Adaptall. He shows up here in FM alt lenses sometimes but is also on Dyxum.com a lot...

Sep 11, 2010 at 07:36 AM
jan_haidn
• •
p.1 #15 · Adaptall thread

2,5/24 @ 2,5 and mfd

Edited on Sep 12, 2010 at 08:50 AM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2010 at 05:50 PM
jan_haidn
• •
p.1 #16 · Adaptall thread

I got this lens as I seldom need a 24 and it was sub 100$.
But when I need it, it delivers.
Just the distortion

Edited on Sep 11, 2010 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2010 at 05:55 PM
jan_haidn
• •
p.1 #17 · Adaptall thread

A last one

Sep 11, 2010 at 05:56 PM
Haifisch M3
• • •