1       2       3              6246      
       6248              6307       6308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6247 #1 · p.6247 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Ben, I'll call it quits. An Aussie would have laughed at my comment coming as it does from a Saffer.

As Shakespeare is reputed to have said "What’s in a name? that which we call a rose: By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Let's keep it light as we always have on this thread and let the lenses do the talking as yours and Phillippe's do so eloquently.

Peter..... don't worry about offending me, I was not at all upset by your comments, quite the contrary, I appreciated the dig, but I've got to say, I would never dare call you by that "s" word you used . It's interesting how fashions in usage change - I don't hear it anymore, here it's regarded as a bridge too far.

Raphael - yes, the Romans were never in the US - but of course the Italians were - a certain Christoforo Colombo was fairly significant, and of course the country was named after another Italian explorers - but that's not the point - you're doing a Philippe and trying to distract from the issue. And no, I've nothing to say on the Catalan referendum - except, wow, we live in interesting times.

But right now my attention and my sympathies go to Las Vegas. Terrible news.

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:12 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.6247 #2 · p.6247 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
I'm glad to see this issue has attracted the interest of some of our far flung friends.

Peter - there's no Australian here - so your barbs have missed their mark..

Philippe - I'm not trying to explain your history to you, although as a Roman I'd be well placed to do so. No, I'm just reminding you of some facts you so regularly ignore.

But first, some simple logic: don't infer from the fact that I asked you how Geneva was during your recent visit that I have never been there. That is a non sequitur. It is true though that
...Show more

Sorry to say that but you do not have the intimate knowledge required to really understand such a topic. You are not Swiss, you are not French, your don't even speak French, you don't live there.
I coud say that Geneva is a very little part of the aerea, all the swiss living on the North side of the Lake (Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux...) speak French - as of course the French of the South side - and they all call it "Léman" except the Genevans.
We could say "Lac d'Evian", the Swiss could say "Lac de Lausanne" : we decided to say "Léman" because the lake is a common good for Switzerland and France.
Can you understand that : a historic name for a common property ?

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:18 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.6247 #3 · p.6247 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Stop the bla-bla and back to photo

Sony A7s & 20/2.8 ais

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:23 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.6247 #4 · p.6247 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lest there be any illusions Saffer "...simply short for 'saff efrican' as we would say it."

It's similar to the slang word "Strine" (Australian) as in "do you talk Strine?"

Natives of both countries of European descent have developed distinct accents and tend to speak more quickly than "Brits" or "Yanks" and thus individual words are often not properly enunciated.

Yank being a generic term used by the British ("Brits") for all Americans regardless of whether they are north or south of the Mason-Dixon line. Something to do with WWll

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:38 PM
HCE HCE
• • •
p.6247 #5 · p.6247 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

D810 45mm PC-E

-Jay-

Edited on Dec 12, 2017 at 07:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:20 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.6247 #6 · p.6247 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
I also have some catching up to do, but Autumn definately started here

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4362/37407495262_f51c5d55fe_b.jpg20171001-DSC_8490 by b j, on Flickr

D3 and 35mm f2 Nikkor-O

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4502/37407580602_5d18b7ce11_b.jpg20171001-DSC_8481 by b j, on Flickr

D3 and 35mm f2 Nikkor-O

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/37181402280_ce2ba2e29e_b.jpg20171001-DSC_8479 by b j, on Flickr

D3 and 20mm f3,5 UD Nikkor

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/37407711652_a79aa237cf_b.jpg20171001-DSC_8460 by b j, on Flickr

D3 and 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4483/36768571463_991ff8cff5_b.jpg20171001-DSC_8449 by b j, on Flickr

D3 and 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C

Buddy, I love the low angle mushroom takes.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:30 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.6247 #7 · p.6247 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Stop the bla-bla and back to photo

Sony A7s & 20/2.8 ais

Philippe, great composition in the second image. Not "banal" at all.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:43 PM
DeltaSigma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6247 #8 · p.6247 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A sweet delicacy caught by the 24mm NC before being devoured.

Normally I would have called this dish Apfelstrudel but perhaps recent discussions and post Brexit sensitivities mean I should simply call it Apple Cake.

It was delicious.

To confuse things it was purchased in the Englisher Garten Tea House in Berlin.

DSC_4832 by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

Colin

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.6247 #9 · p.6247 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Apfelstrudel is good - hope it was as delicious as it looks. Great shot Colin.

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:07 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.6247 #10 · p.6247 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice food shot Colin, whatever happened to plates eh ? I love Apple Strudel ! and is that 2 slices of dragon fruit on the right ? we are growing some here, it's actually the fruit of a cactus would you believe ? we're growing 2 varieties - one yellow with white flesh, one red with red flesh (I think!)

Your shot is timely as a friend of my wife's is opening a donut shop and I have to shoot the food for her next week. I'll make sure to shoot some with MF nikkors and post them.

Breakfast donut - maple syrup glaze with bacon bits, coffee with a donut in the top etc etc. my mouth's watering already ! I probably won't charge her but as her shop is next to the new cinema I might do a deal for free donuts for life whenever I go to watch a film

Andy

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.6247 #11 · p.6247 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love to see Ben so engaged.

I have a coworker in my team who was at the Vegas concert, he did not work yesterday, came into work today trying his best to be calm but it was easy to tell he is still shell shocked. I told him how happy I was he made it out unscathed but there was true emotional harm done to him, and to all of us in differing degrees.

I cannot understand how a person would want to harm strangers that have done no harm to him. Makes you think evil incarnates. Evils exists, so does Good.

To those in pain I extend my condolences, I feel your pain.

For every evil

nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 D800 Roman Centurion Mission San Luis Rey by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

I pray good will prevail

nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 D800 Christ Passion Mission San Luis Rey by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:00 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.6247 #12 · p.6247 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some non-blah. Quick one from the 300/4.5 ED-AI at f/5.6 with a B+W MRC Kaesemann CPL.
Heavy crop, but not quite 100%.

Weather suddenly has turned great - cool and sunny. Rain will be here before you know it

Empty and Heading To Tacoma

ILCE-7RM2    ---- lens    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Ballard
• •
p.6247 #13 · p.6247 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I stopped by the Portland Chinese Garden briefly today. It was a chance to try out my recent birthday gift to myself, viz. 18/3.5 AI-s. Both shots at f/8 on Df.

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:52 AM
Ballard
• •
p.6247 #14 · p.6247 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Has anybody on this thread noticed weird color shifts with circular polarizers? I have two B+W C-pol filters and both sometimes give highlights shifted one direction and shadows a different direction. I never noticed this with my old Nikon linear polarizer that I used with film cameras.

With color film this was called “color crossover” because the sensitometric curves for the cyan, yellow, and magenta layers had different gammas: they were not parallel but crossed over one another. There was no way to correct the resulting color casts in the pre-digital era. With Photoshop this can be corrected if it is a simple color crossover issue, but I suspect that the color shifts are more complex than that. Sometimes the sky will need a lot of magenta added to look natural with the C-pol filters, but other colors don’t need magenta added. That’s why I suspect something else is going on.

It’s so annoying that I often won’t use the C-pol for a darker, more saturated sky. It’s less trouble to just do it in Photoshop than to try to make multiple color corrections of different colors to compensate for the C-pol color shifts.

Any ideas from the technically oriented folks here?

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:20 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.6247 #15 · p.6247 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ballard wrote:
Has anybody on this thread noticed weird color shifts with circular polarizers? I have two B+W C-pol filters and both sometimes give highlights shifted one direction and shadows a different direction. I never noticed this with my old Nikon linear polarizer that I used with film cameras.

With color film this was called “color crossover” because the sensitometric curves for the cyan, yellow, and magenta layers had different gammas: they were not parallel but crossed over one another. There was no way to correct the resulting color casts in the pre-digital era. With Photoshop this can be corrected if it is
...Show more

I read about B+W ND filters in Sharon Tennebaum's blog and she refers to colour changes. The article is here . It may be universal with B+W filters.

Oct 04, 2017 at 06:15 AM
DeltaSigma
• • •
p.6247 #16 · p.6247 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
Nice food shot Colin, whatever happened to plates eh ? I love Apple Strudel ! and is that 2 slices of dragon fruit on the right ? we are growing some here, it's actually the fruit of a cactus would you believe ? we're growing 2 varieties - one yellow with white flesh, one red with red flesh (I think!)

Your shot is timely as a friend of my wife's is opening a donut shop and I have to shoot the food for her next week. I'll make sure to shoot some with MF nikkors and post them.

Breakfast donut - maple
...Show more

Peter & Andy,

The photo was easy - kudos to the chef for preparing a very nice looking dish.
Yes, I believe that was a slice or two of dragon fruit.

Colin

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:29 AM
AM4L
• • •
p.6247 #17 · p.6247 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few from yesterdays walk, the first wide view is a stitch, however, all are from the 55 F1.2 Ais on the D810. The first is the entryway to a favorite place I go to walk, there is soo much more there though to see.

Happy Clicks
MarkA

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:18 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.6247 #18 · p.6247 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Buddy, I love the low angle mushroom takes.

Thank you Scott.

As it happens, as of today, there is a story to be told about those low angle mushroom shots.

Last Thursday I registered a car to my name. The net day, we went to pick it up, but with Kristina not driving large distances, or Autobahn, by herself, we left our previous car on the roadside to pick it up later. Which we did, the next day. After that, Kristina was a bit upset, because Friday had been lovely weather, whereas Saturday was horrible, rainy, cold. And Sunday promised to be much of the same. We were surprised to find out it wasn't, so we grabbed our cameras and went outdoors.

I still had the car title and my travelling pass in my camera bag, which proved to be a big mistake. I lost them somewhere along the hike, and only found out when we got back home. I went back there the next dy, but we did not find the documents.

Today my dad called me, and asked me if I was missing something. As it happens, a pensioner and glider pilot, who also frequents the heath landscape on the nicer days, found the documents yesterday and looked up my surname in an old phonebook. He found an uncle of mine, which he contacted by phone, and got my fathers phone number there.

I called the man and arranged to pick up my travelling and car documents on friday. Made my day, that.

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:29 PM
bruni
• • •
p.6247 #19 · p.6247 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Rafael - thank you for the Roman centurion - much appreciated

Colin - I thought the dragon fruit was an unusual touch

MarkA - love that first stitch. Very nice PP too.

ben

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Stokesey
• • •
p.6247 #20 · p.6247 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Colin

I seem to think that the Dragon fruit must come from an area on an old map I have

Over the border it says

'There be Dragons'

Tell me that's where the fruit came from

Steve

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password