FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6104      
       6106              6261       6262       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DeltaSigma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6105 #1 · p.6105 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am back 'home' for 10 days to look after my father. I have a long list of chores to work through - painting windows being the main one - but there is time for some photography witnessed by this infrared panoramic landscape from this afternoon.

Nikon D80 IR and 85mm, H, F/1.8

DSC_9473-Pano by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

Colin

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:52 PM
ramkumar999
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6105 #2 · p.6105 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is a single shot evening shot where I attempted to balance the foreground and background lights. I had to dim down the background skies to bring the necessary blues as I was seeing and do some minor shadow retrieval.
From subject perspective nothing great, but this took some tweaking to bring it to what the eyes saw.

DSC_5347 by Ramkumar Sangameshwar, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:03 PM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6105 #3 · p.6105 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DeltaSigma wrote:
I am back 'home' for 10 days to look after my father. I have a long list of chores to work through - painting windows being the main one - but there is time for some photography witnessed by this infrared panoramic landscape from this afternoon.

Nikon D80 IR and 85mm, H, F/1.8

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4275/35281168521_a0fe1d5fc9_h.jpgDSC_9473-Pano by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

Colin

Colin - that is awesome! Love it!

George

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:44 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.6105 #4 · p.6105 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DeltaSigma wrote:
I am back 'home' for 10 days to look after my father. I have a long list of chores to work through - painting windows being the main one

Black, by any chance?

I really like your IR landscapes. Makes me want to dig out my IR modified D70s

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:06 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.6105 #5 · p.6105 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ram, reading the road signs correctly, I assume it's ok for wheelchair drivers to use the lawn to get to the clubhouse?

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:09 PM
DeltaSigma
• • •
p.6105 #6 · p.6105 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

the solitaire wrote:
Black, by any chance?

I really like your IR landscapes. Makes me want to dig out my IR modified D70s

Buddy,

Teak wood stain actually! Weeding the patio is tomorrow's task. Looks to be sunny again tomorrow so the IR might be utilised,
If you do dig out the D70s then I would recommend the 16mm fish, 24mm NC or 85mm H. They all work really well.
I would love to see something from your neck of the woods.

Colin

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:17 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.6105 #7 · p.6105 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Teak wood might be a better choice indeed. just had to think of that song right when I reda your post.

I'm still working through orders from the 3000+ photos we shot over the weekend. Might be a bit before I actually get to taking photographs, even though the weather is ideal for IR stuff. I'm red as a lobster after standing in the sun for 5 hours straight Saturday as well as Sunday

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:22 PM
DeltaSigma
• • •
p.6105 #8 · p.6105 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Infrared sunstars from the 16mm, f/3.5 @f/16

DSC_9457 by Colin McIntosh, on Flickr

Colin

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:28 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.6105 #9 · p.6105 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

No tick marks. Just the impressive 9-blade aperture.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Venky
• •
p.6105 #10 · p.6105 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chuong,

Please let me know how you are going to mount this on your camera. I also have a nine blade version and found that it's not possible for me to mount on a Nikon D810. Thanks.

raboof wrote:
No tick marks. Just the impressive 9-blade aperture.

http://pix.oldlinux.com/FRED/DAO_1749.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

raboof
• • • •
p.6105 #11 · p.6105 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Don't mount it on your D810. It might damage your camera. You'll need to have it AI converted or get a Df. Personally, I don't like to convert lenses like these. I have a Df so I don't have to worry about this problem.

Venky wrote:
Chuong,

Please let me know how you are going to mount this on your camera. I also have a nine blade version and found that it's not possible for me to mount on a Nikon D810. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6105 #12 · p.6105 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Don't mount it on your D810. It might damage your camera. You'll need to have it AI converted or get a Df. Personally, I don't like to convert lenses like these. I have a Df so I don't have to worry about this problem.

I echo Chuong. I have a couple of these lenses including a tick mark version and have no issues mounting to the Df.

G

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:59 PM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6105 #13 · p.6105 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Day 3 - Outer Banks NC

Just a quick one tonight. Spent most of the day on a long kayak paddle dodging some scattered storms. Had several showers come through early this morning. I grabbed this shot from the deck while having a cup of coffee before we headed out.

Df with 58mm/1.2 AIS with circular polarizer. Heavy dose of graduated filter in Lightroom with Clarity and Dehaze adjustments. The clouds at the coast never stop amazing me. True, they do not look like this to the naked eye, but in my mind this is image they left me

Now back out for an evening outside and perhaps a cold beverage.

George

NIKON Df    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    58mm    f/8.0    1/500s    720 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:06 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.6105 #14 · p.6105 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some more from Surfer's. As well as the attraction of miles of shallow white sandy beaches and great surf, the Nerang River winds it's serpentine way north to south immediately inland parallel to the beach, providing much opportunity for "canal" living. If you can afford it !

_AGM6095 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6100 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6101 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6099 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM6107 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM
saph
• • • •
p.6105 #15 · p.6105 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ken, have been following your scenic trip, and each set is better than the last. The scene through the tunnel is fantastic!

James, what a memory to find in your imported images! And looks like quite a feast!!

Colin nice flowers and bokeh from Scotland.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM
saph
• • • •
p.6105 #16 · p.6105 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Venky,

Those delicious 9-blade original F-Nikkors won't mount on Nikon DSLRs without their rear mounts being modified or replaced. I have a couple of 10.5cm 2.5 and at least one 5cm f2 early samples that don't even mount on the Df. Most of the non-AI lenses do mount on Df though, its just a small number produced around 1959 that don't.

Mine spend their time on a Nikon F or F2.

Venky wrote:
Chuong,

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:44 PM
saph
• • • •
p.6105 #17 · p.6105 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oh wow Colin just saw your IR-scape at the top of this page, amazing!

Andy, nice scenes of those building reflecting in the water.

Ram, cool work balancing the sky with the building.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6105 #18 · p.6105 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some very fine photos being dropped on these pages in the last few days. Like many who have commented that sunrise shot you captured George is exceptional, though I agree with Buddy the shot with the 8 f/2.8 really invites exploration. I'm so happy you're enjoying your summer holiday. I don't know this part of the country at all but I can see why it has such a fine reputation. Those clouds are spectacular.

Love you IR work Colin. That panorama is a delight. I spent a month traveling around Scotland when I was a young man. I love the people and the scenery. It is wonderful seeing what you capture during visits with your father. We celebrated Father's Day yesterday. It appears even without a holiday you are doing the same...

And Andy... that is the beginning of winter? Not too shabby if you ask me. But then I'm reminded you don't have conventional seasons on the north coast of Australia. I couldn't handle your summers, but I expect winter would be a pleasure. Today the temperature reached 103 degrees. Yesterday at my partner Sue's home, which has air conditioning, it hit 107. Nearby it reach 111. I decided to stay home today... hopefully it will cool down a bit at night.

Congratulations on your new camera Ken. You've definitely built a fine kit for yourself. Are you planning on taking up birding with that cropped camera? As George demonstrates above, it IS possible to capture birds in flight with a manual focus lens... Enjoying your travel photos my friend. Keep them coming.

Gorgeous lenses Chuong. You don't make a big deal about it, but anyone paying attention over the years would know you're very serious about kit building. I'm delighted you're having fun and that you share your treasures with us.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM
GroWeb
• •
p.6105 #19 · p.6105 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The photo posts are rolling along very nicely here these days! George, your sunsets with the extreme focal lengths are superb and worthy of special mention.

Here are a few more photos from the Drumheller badlands, showing some of the distinct geological formations that characterize the area. The fourth photo looks to me a bit like a big hand reaching up towards the top of the hill. As usual for my cross-Canada images, I know only that all of these were shot with MFNG, not which lens was used for each image. The Fuji E-X2 doesn't have a Nikon-like non-CPU lens database, and I didn't want to interrupt the shooting to apply the workaround (i.e. selecting Leica focal lengths deep within the menus).

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.6105 #20 · p.6105 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread is blazing, loved Ken's red, Colin's white infra-red, and particularly George's 8mm sunset.

Ram and Andy's are great too!

The $100 like new in box 105mm 4.0 came in, it is perfect!

This will be a long post, many photos for those interested in the lens, ugly photos on the fly.

first the lens:

nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Then the lens fully extended to reach 1:2.

nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai fully extended by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Then the lens with a 105mm 4.0 bellows mounted in front with a K3 ring like Bjorn Roslett rates it 5/5 and says:

"Opinions are divided regarding the optical quality of this lens, which derives directly from the Bellows 105mm f/4. My sample is excellent, however. Getting top-notch results demands that the lens is stopped down less than ~ f/11, because image quality deteriorates rapidly from there on. This behaviour is by the way typical for all Micro-Nikkors. Although it's multi-coated, flare still can be a problem for some shooting situations. The earliest (AI) version lacked the small locking screw to secure the focus setting, and thus the focused distance would change when the lens was pointed downwards. It focuses to 1:2 on its own and the PN-11 extension ring is needed to give 1:1 magnification.
A terrific macro capacity can be given this lens by mounting the short-mount Bellows 105mm f/4 onto its front thread. The lens head should not be reversed in this case, contrary to usual practice, and is easily attached to the 105 Micro by using the K3 ring. This setup yields 1-2X magnification without any light loss at all so effectively equals a 50 mm f/2 lens! The viewfinder is brilliantly clear and focusing the package is a joy compared to other setups I've tried. I have obtained my sharpest insect photos ever using this combination. The only drawback is that the working distance can be a little on the short side for shy objects.

On the D2X, you are assured superb image quality for near subjects (distant scenes not yet tested). Images are crisp and clear across the entire frame at f/4 and get even better when the lens is stopped down. The field flatness is remarkable and no ills from CA can be detected. Quality holds up well even at f/16 on D2X.

IR: Very good. No problems detected, no hot spots. There is a focus shift that largely can be taken care of by refocusing according to the red dot on the focusing scale."

The bellows 105mm will set you back $500 bucks, the same lens in a focusing mount will cost $100, go figure.

two nikkor 105mm 4.0 one ai one bellows K3 ring by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

A flower shot at 4.0 to show pleasing rendition.

nikon nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai D810 fully open flower shot by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

A landscape at 4.0 to show sharpness contrast

nikon nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai D810 fully open landscape shot by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

A coin with the lens alone 1:2, working distance is 30% longer than shown.

nikon nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai D810 at 16 8 reales commemorativa by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

A coin with the two 105mm setup, it is hard to keep a perpendicular plane on a towel, this looks like 2x-3x to me. It was very bright on the finder, easy to focus, much more than the 200 medical at 2x.

nikon nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai D810 plus another 105mm 4.0 8 reales by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

The commemorative coin for the coin above with the two 105mm setup and about 3x.

nikon nikkor 105mm 4.0 ai D810 plus another 105mm 4.0 8 reales commemorativa by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password