FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6046      
       6048              6068       6069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6047 #1 · p.6047 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I will breifly chime in on some of the alternate body talk and balance of Nikon glass. I won't use the F word

I agree that some of these larger Nikon prime lenses do not fit well with the smaller alternate format bodies. But some of them work great when used with the right adapter and it is all about perception sometimes. For example, If using the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra with say an X-T2 body. The thickness from lens mount to rear of the LCD panel is actually thinner than on the Df. (66.3mm for the Df and 66.1 for the XT-2 with Metabones Speedbooster). Ok, not much difference but you get the point

With the extra battery grip mounted to that body, it is the closest I have ever shot to my favorite film camera the F5. Just smaller and lighter.

As others have mentioned, larger primes and zooms on these smaller bodies are not much fun and I agree with that.

Now what really has me going is the ability to use the Nikon Rangefinder lenses in S mount and LTM/M39. The only option to shoot digital with those is using an alternate format body. For me they are a joy to use on the X-Pro2 body. It is my go to for lightweight shooting and using Nikon glass.

I guess my point is, shoot what you like. Don't wait for the perfect body or perfect brand. They don't exist and you will loose valuable time where you can be enjoying the hobby of photography.

For me, photography is 100% hobby nowadays. And one of the main reasons I like shooting Nikon glass is so I can participate on this thread. The members here are like nowhere else in the virtual land of the internet. Real people, shooting real stuff for enjoyment and sharing with others.

Too keep it on topic for the thread, below is a shot of my two goto Nikkors. 2.8cm f/3.5 and 5cm f/1.4, S mount.

Shot with NIKON camera and NIKON lens (Df and 35/1.4 AIS)

George

May 19, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.6047 #2 · p.6047 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The Renaissance Festival in Lyon
Sony A7s & 55/1.2 :

May 19, 2017 at 05:53 PM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6047 #3 · p.6047 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Man this looks like a great spot. Did you get any trout fishing in?

No trout this time. Just hiking/camping with the family. Waiting for you to mend and we can take that day like we talked about early in the year.

May 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.6047 #4 · p.6047 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:
No trout this time. Just hiking/camping with the family. Waiting for you to mend and we can take that day like we talked about early in the year.

Looked like there should of been a trout stream in there. I'm back to 98% and looking forward to what we talked about later this year.

What you said in your post about mirrorless was spot on! On that note, I'd like to see your collection of S-mounts. Also, which adapter are you using for those?

May 19, 2017 at 06:02 PM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6047 #5 · p.6047 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Looked like there should of been a trout stream in there. I'm back to 98% and looking forward to what we talked about later this year.

What you said in your post about mirrorless was spot on! On that note, I'd like to see your collection of S-mounts. Also, which adapter are you using for those?

Getting ready to head out for the day and then to Va tomorrow to do some painting at my moms house. I will put my stuff together and give a small writeup about my adapters for the S mount/LTM lenses and post some images later Sunday.

May 19, 2017 at 07:12 PM
GroWeb
• •
p.6047 #6 · p.6047 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Nobody expects to buy Fuji lenses and then all of a sudden they are there

Reagan

Yes. I know myself well enough to have chosen my phrasing carefully!

NightOwl Cat wrote:
UHOH

Thanks for the heads-up, Laura. I'll be sure to avoid the Nanaimo bridge in February!

Edited on May 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2017 at 08:00 PM
designdog
• •
p.6047 #7 · p.6047 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:
I will breifly chime in on some of the alternate body talk and balance of Nikon glass. I won't use the F word

I agree that some of these larger Nikon prime lenses do not fit well with the smaller alternate format bodies. But some of them work great when used with the right adapter and it is all about perception sometimes. For example, If using the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra with say an X-T2 body. The thickness from lens mount to rear of the LCD panel is actually thinner than on the Df. (66.3mm for the Df and 66.1 for
...Show more

Some good points, George! Sometimes you have to think of what you are going to be carrying on an outing in terms of total packed volume. For example, one of the things that soured me on the Fuji X Pro and the X100 is that, by the time I packed the basics in some kind of bag that would protect/enclose the gear, it was insignificantly smaller than what I was doing with my Df. In fact, the combo of the Df with the Zeiss 2/35, the Nikon 50 1.2 and the 105 2.5 is a great travel setup. You get range and full frame (and through the lens viewing.) I put all this in one little bag that I traisped through Orlando with all day for a week last year. Of course the Df with just one of these primes is even less volume.

I don't know if Nikon is still making the Df, or if the rumored 100 year replacement will ever happen, but it is still up there on the DXO sensor rankings, and time has proven it to overcome the {misunderstood) reviews on launch.

David

ps share your affection for the f5!

May 19, 2017 at 11:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6047 #8 · p.6047 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One of the great pleasures for me of this thread is what George alludes to above... the collegiality, the basic friendliness. The conversation has wandered hither and yon for years. There are some bright folks who spend time here so I feel I'm often learning new things, some related to photography, some not. Of course, the thread is really held together by these wonderful manual focus lenses. We've learned over the last year that the conversation can include alternative camera systems without descending into histrionics or name calling. I think that is because we've created quite a bit of good will over the years. We've gotten to know one another well enough that when change happens for those among us, we put it into the context and not become critics of other's choices. This is especially important in the ever changing world of photography. Nikon lenses seem to handle whatever comes along, especially so the manual focus lenses that are much prized by folks shooting other camera systems or shooting video... they are that good.

At least thus far, my needs are satisfied by what I already own. I spent enough money buying another car late last year that I'll likely lay low when it comes to making photography purchases. Fortunately, I have more lenses that I can possibly use and the Df is a fine camera. But I always enjoy gear conversations, so I'm happy to be talking about Fuji, Sony and whatever. Happy shooting everyone.

I just browsed some older photos and thought this might be worth sharing in the spirit of what Ken B has been offering to us of late. This was shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI... a side glass of my car after a night of rain... converted with Silver Efex Pro 2.

105.2.5.P.Raindrops.SEP by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

May 20, 2017 at 12:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6047 #9 · p.6047 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Happy to hear you're doing well Leighton... though that likely means Barbara will be putting you to work...

I know that's not a bad thing for you since you like to keep busy. So enjoy the planting season and the farmer's market. I imagine you're been showing up for that... likely taking photos you can't post on this thread...

I guess I'll have to check out another forum to see those. Have a great summer my friend.

Footnote: I just checked a Fuji thread, and sure enough... there were a couple of your shots taken with an AUTOMATIC FOCUS lens...

May 20, 2017 at 12:40 AM
GroWeb
• •
p.6047 #10 · p.6047 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks for the update Glen. Quite an adventure you and your wife are pursuing... and with a Fuji camera as well. I guess we're just going to have to get used to it...

I shot with DX cameras during my time with Canon, first a Digital Rebel, then a 20D then a 1D. I used FX lenses and got by okay, but the world definitely opened up for me when I bought the 5D. I shot a bit with Rinie's D200 that I bought on her behalf. I told her at the time that IF Nikon produced an FX body
...Show more
Thanks Curtis. It has indeed been an adventure already, and it has only just begun! I totally understand your desire to stick with your Df; I intend to keep using my D800E as my main camera body. The little X-E2 will satisfy my desire for mirrorless for the time being, but I am definitely hoping that Nikon will get their collective act together and produce an excellent full frame mirrorless body in the near future. Focus peaking is a real boon for manually focusing that I suspect will become increasingly important to me as my eyes age (I become more dependent on my glasses with each passing year).

Here are some photos from the north shore of Lake Superior, which apparently holds 10% of the entire world's supply of surface fresh water. The fifth shot includes the lovely new, rugged blue Subaru that carried my wife, myself, and a large amount of luggage (including all of my MFNG) across the country. All were shot with members of the afore-mentioned kit of Nikkors on my Fuji X-E2, and processed with the Lightroom app on my phone..

Edited on May 20, 2017 at 03:02 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2017 at 01:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

spoupard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6047 #11 · p.6047 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:
Getting ready to head out for the day and then to Va tomorrow to do some painting at my moms house. I will put my stuff together and give a small writeup about my adapters for the S mount/LTM lenses and post some images later Sunday.

I fully understand why you use the S-mount lenses on digital cameras and you get wonderful results, but you really should twist those lenses onto a Nikon rangefinder and use them how they were meant to be used. They make some wonderful images on film. The only S-mount Nikon that I have right now is the 50mm, but I'm saving for the 35mm. I have a Jupiter-12 and it's okay, but it's no Nikon.

May 20, 2017 at 02:20 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6047 #12 · p.6047 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For our friends in Florida, especially Ken H and Reagan... I hope you've visited this place. I stumbled on it on YouTube...

Muscle cars made by General Motors through the years... they have EIGHTY Corvettes and a long line of 1969 Chevelle SS cars. Amazing collection!

May 20, 2017 at 02:48 AM
gbohannon
• • •
p.6047 #13 · p.6047 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

spoupard wrote:
I fully understand why you use the S-mount lenses on digital cameras and you get wonderful results, but you really should twist those lenses onto a Nikon rangefinder and use them how they were meant to be used. They make some wonderful images on film. The only S-mount Nikon that I have right now is the 50mm, but I'm saving for the 35mm. I have a Jupiter-12 and it's okay, but it's no Nikon.

I know what you mean. I have an S2

I shoot the occasional roll of black and white film. Trying to find a place to process them that gives your negatives back. To be honest, I really haven't looked that hard online. The local shop quit processing b/w.

Open to any recommendations for mail order developers.

George

May 20, 2017 at 02:59 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.6047 #14 · p.6047 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Today I shot some wild columbines that I found growing in the back yard - in the studio. All with the 105mm f1.8 ais + tubes.

May 20, 2017 at 03:40 AM
spoupard
• •
p.6047 #15 · p.6047 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:
I know what you mean. I have an S2

I shoot the occasional roll of black and white film. Trying to find a place to process them that gives your negatives back. To be honest, I really haven't looked that hard online. The local shop quit processing b/w.

Open to any recommendations for mail order developers.

George

I process my film myself. No darkroom is needed as all I do is process the film and then scan the negatives using a Plustek Opticfilm scanner. I think it's well worth the effort and the results are much better than anything I've gotten out of a lab. The last time I had a roll of film processed at my local "pro" lab, the negative came back scratched. I vowed right then that I would do all of my processing myself from that point. When shooting film, I only shoot black and white. If I want to shoot color, I use digital.

The S2 is an incredible camera. Love mine!

May 20, 2017 at 04:06 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.6047 #16 · p.6047 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:

I agree that some of these larger Nikon prime lenses do not fit well with the smaller alternate format bodies. But some of them work great when used with the right adapter and it is all about perception sometimes. For example, If using the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra with say an X-T2 body. The thickness from lens mount to rear of the LCD panel is actually thinner than on the Df. (66.3mm for the Df and 66.1 for
...Show more

George, your Fuji and rangefinder glass is beautiful.

May 20, 2017 at 05:20 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.6047 #17 · p.6047 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

gbohannon wrote:

...Show more

Gee that camera/lens combo looks cute and really retro, Specially with the leather case. Takes me back. Enjoy!

May 20, 2017 at 06:37 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.6047 #18 · p.6047 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
My experiments with Fuji (X Pro 1 and 2, three flavors of X100, many X lenses) ended with my dissatisfaction of the sensor and the way the files processed, my dislike of crop cameras (I can see the difference - really) and wide angle limitations, and the simple fact that I enjoy looking through the lens.

THIS

YMMV

Andy

May 20, 2017 at 08:13 AM
Ken Hill
• • •
p.6047 #19 · p.6047 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
For our friends in Florida, especially Ken H and Reagan... I hope you've visited this place. I stumbled on it on YouTube...

Muscle cars made by General Motors through the years... they have EIGHTY Corvettes and a long line of 1969 Chevelle SS cars. Amazing collection!

It's quite the place and I've been there several times. As a matter of fact I bought a D300 from a guy in their 50's modeled coffee shop!

Here's a shot from 2012

Ken Hill 2017

May 20, 2017 at 01:11 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6047 #20 · p.6047 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What a place that is... reminds me of the time when I lived with three guys... it was 1968. I'd just traded my 1965 Corvette fastback that blew a head gasket in the middle of a Minnesota winter for a brand new, end of model year 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. The three fellows I was living with were Corvette buddies, one with a 1967 fastback with a 427 cubic inch engine and the other two with 1968 Corvettes. We owned a cabin cruiser together that was located on a huge lake at the edge of Minneapolis. Needless to say, our apartment and cabin cruiser were party central. This is what they refer to when the speak of a "misspent youth..."

I'd love to visit this museum... I can't even imagine how much this fellow has invested in all these pristine cars.

May 20, 2017 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password