Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              4064       4065       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

3. Rainbow car.

Aug 30, 2010 at 08:01 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

4. Cropped image from a car trunk.

Aug 30, 2010 at 08:02 PM
hlavo
• •
p.6 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And then there are some of us with eyes so old and so bad that AF is a blessing. But having used and sold both a 105/2.5 and a 135/2, I can appreciated the quality of the photos and the quality of the focusing experience these lens offer. Nice shots, folks.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

hlavo wrote:
And then there are some of us with eyes so old and so bad that AF is a blessing. But having used and sold both a 105/2.5 and a 135/2, I can appreciated the quality of the photos and the quality of the focusing experience these lens offer. Nice shots, folks.

I think the key, at least for those of us shooting digital, is to have either one of the D3 models or the D700 with their bright viewfinders. It certainly helps my eyes, which will begin their seventieth year the end of September.... I shudder at the thought.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kingfishphoto wrote:
3. Rainbow car.

You and I share an interest in photographing hot cars Harry but unfortunately, all the photos in my portfolio of cars were taken during my Canon days and don't belong on this particular thread.

As you can imagine, since I live in California where cars age a bit more gracefully without harsh winters or roads salted against ice, there are some gorgeous older cars on display during summer months when local communities host hotrodders. The City of San Rafael hosts May Madness each year, blocking off downtown streets that are lined with cars from yesteryear, including some gorgeous hot rods, as well as classics lovingly restored. Needless to say these are great events for photographers as well. Next year I'll take my D700 for a stroll so I can share the wealth.

Thanks for the great shots!

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Comon guys- eye surgery can preform wonders.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Comon guys- eye surgery can preform wonders.

... at least enough eye surgery to be able to see a fuzzy green dot!

I hope my vision never goes, I enjoy these MF lenses too much.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dj dunzie wrote:
... at least enough eye surgery to be able to see a fuzzy green dot!

I hope my vision never goes, I enjoy these MF lenses too much.

Is that dot really green?

Aug 31, 2010 at 01:18 AM
vws51

p.6 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I picked up a beautiful MF Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 ED-IF AiS back in 2006 to use with my D200. Took a couple of test shots with it and never used it again. A couple of days ago I decided I might as well sell it, so I mounted it on my D700 and took a couple shots to use with my ad...

Crap! I like this lens and I'm gonna keep it.

Aug 31, 2010 at 01:26 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vws51 wrote:

That's a good thing! You were meant to keep it and love it I think! Nice IQ for sure...

Aug 31, 2010 at 01:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DABNIK
• • •
p.6 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

ecidi wrote:
50 f1.4 ais

YOWSA to that one & the 50 f1.8. Just beautiful!!!

Aug 31, 2010 at 01:44 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vws51 wrote:
I picked up a beautiful MF Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 ED-IF AiS back in 2006 to use with my D200. Took a couple of test shots with it and never used it again. A couple of days ago I decided I might as well sell it, so I mounted it on my D700 and took a couple shots to use with my ad...

I'm a real sucker for cat photos and these are excellent.

It appears you have a real winner with that lens. No doubt, the D700 loves these old MF lenses.

Aug 31, 2010 at 04:27 AM
nikolin

p.6 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikkor 35mm F1.4 AI-S wide open on D700
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11530750

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

nikolin wrote:

Nikkor 35mm F1.4 AI-S wide open on D700
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11530750

I think this is what you were looking for... You need to lift the image out of the photo.net frame so it sits bare in its own window. You copy that URL and drop it into the composing box and you're home free.

Aug 31, 2010 at 02:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And Harry, I did take a photo of a vehicle, though not an oldie but goodie. I'd forgotten that I'd already posted BMW photo on the 105 f/2.5 appreciation thread. Here is another one showing this German beauty in the foreground and my car in the distance. Not quite as sexy as what you've offered, but at least in the spirit of the thread.

Edited on Jun 02, 2012 at 03:57 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2010 at 02:19 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm a week into a holiday in the Netherlands where I'm visiting a friend with whom I share an interest in photography. As I put together a kit for this trip I found myself drawn to the manual focus lenses I've been talking about on this and other threads. In the end I took five manual focus prime lenses and nothing else. I've taken well over 2,000 photos during this week, and I'd say perhaps two or three times the thought crossed my mind that I wished I had either a zoom or automatic focus. These old Nikon lenses are so fine that taking photos with them has been a pleasure.

I know this post is rather meaningless without a photo or two, but I've been so busy taking photos I've processed few and uploaded to the internet none. I return on Saturday and will likely spend the next week at my computer going through all these images. I'll post a few photos then.

Tomorrow we take a boat ride up the Maas River from Rotterdam to Dordrecht and bicycle out to some of the dikes, cameras in hand or quickly available.

Sep 09, 2010 at 06:17 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.6 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl - don't you know that you are missing out on a perfectly composed shot by using only primes With a zoom, you wouldn't have to take a step backwards to frame a shot. I mean sometimes a 50mm FL won't work as I need 49.75mm at times.... I've said many times that 2-3 primes make for a nice travel kit which yields very good results. Be sure to post some pics!

Sep 09, 2010 at 06:45 PM
Erie Patsellis
• •
p.6 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I can only guess that these wonderful lenses fell out of favor with the vast majority of photographers because AF shooting doesn't require the same degree of concentration as MF shooting. I know for those who've shot for decades, manual focusing is second nature. I was shooting yesterday afternoon and friend who'd observed me shooting before exclaimed, "You're shooting manual!" and proceeded to tell me about his long lost Nikon kit. Obviously my left hand turning the lens gave me away.

I can't help but wonder how many of the folks posting images from the MF Nikkor lenses are actually still
...Show more

As a long time film/MF shooter (since '74), I find the transition from MF to AF to be disconcerting, while great for grab shots and such, I find I'm frequently turning it off and focusing manually. But I also only own two zooms, and 30 or so fixed focal length lenses.

Then again, I'm an old fart that still prefers big (4x5, 8x10, 16x20) negatives to digital anyway.

Sep 12, 2010 at 02:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'll make a downpayment on photos from my trip with this shot taken at 9 p.m. from the top of the Euro Mast with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s mounted and set at f/2. I was looking north toward the Maas River with the dramatic Erasmus bridge in the distance. Two friends whom I met years ago at Trekearth live in Rotterdam and this evening was intended to give me an introduction to what they call the "blue hour." This photo is more toward black, but certainly photos I took earlier in the evening have a wonderful blue glow to them.. This is hand held, leaning on the railing that runs around the observation deck on the top of the Mast.

Sep 12, 2010 at 05:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And here is a photo of my friend Bert with his Panasonic G1 mounted on a tripod. He was rather blown away by the performance of the D700 in this low light. I shot all these images in Manual mode at 1/50th and f/2 and let Auto ISO take care of the rest. In this case it was ISO 6400.

Sep 12, 2010 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password