Upload & Sell: On
p.4192 #1 · p.4192 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok Laura, which one is you?

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4192 #2 · p.4192 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I heard through my grapevine Leighton that there is a farmer from the Shenandoah Valley who celebrated a birthday recently... AND WE DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT IT...

Fess up Leighton... which one?

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4192 #3 · p.4192 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John mentioned using the Top 15 feature added by Fred some time ago. I read a thread about it recently and began musing about what photos I might include in that group. On one level it seems impossible, yet, I'm aware often when I take a photo that it is something special. If I'm serious about the matter, it is probably true that I've only shot 15 photos of which I'm really proud, at least if I remove the many flower photos which may be quite wonderful but that in many ways are repeats of other photos, with similar framing and light. But it certainly is fun going back and reviewing old albums. I'm reminded of time and place, but most importantly, I'm reminded of early encounters with new/old lenses. I recall the bright day in May, hot sun but most importantly the fact I'd mounted a 36mm Vivitar extension tube on a recently acquired $76 80-200 f/4.5 AI and shot a flower. I still love this image... and what a great lens for doing this kind of shooting. The push-pull zoom/focusing ring is a dream when the focusing plane is thin. Wide open. Apologies to those who've seen this photo before.

Edited on Nov 02, 2014 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4192 #4 · p.4192 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I heard through my grapevine Leighton that there is a farmer from the Shenandoah Valley who celebrated a birthday recently... AND WE DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT IT...

Fess up Leighton... which one?

Ok ok...twas me. #59. Are you planing on buying me a D750 for a present?

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4192 #5 · p.4192 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

John mentioned using the Top 15 feature added by Fred some time ago. I read a thread about it recently and began musing about what photos I might include in that group. On one level it seems impossible, yet, I'm aware often when I take a photo that it is something special. If I'm serious about the matter, it is probably true that I've only shot 15 photos of which I'm really proud, at least if I remove the many flower photos which may be quite wonderful but that in many ways are repeats of other photos, with similar framing
...Show more

I'll never tire of images like this, what a beauty.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:35 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4192 #6 · p.4192 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ok ok...twas me. #59. Are you planing on buying me a D750 for a present?

How would MY owning a D750 be a present for you?

Besides you already own a fine camera with a great sensor.

Happy Birthday Leighton. I hate to break it to you, but with that birthday behind you, you are now entering your 60th year on this planet. Funny how birthdays mark the end of a year rather than the beginning of one... at least my mind plays with such things.

In thinking about your birthday, which Sue mentioned last evening, I had to appreciate what a hard worker you are. I imagine it it too early to be thinking about hanging up the hoe, but it eventually happens to those folks doing hard manual labor. Relatives on both sides of my family were ALL farmers, so I've witnessed the move from the farm to town. That's what my grandparents did. Of course, my cousin, who grew up on a farm but moved to Minneapolis where he taught school, bought the family farm and for years worked it during vacation. When he finally sold surrounding fields, he kept the farmhouse and a grove of trees that he enjoyed spending time in. He still visits quite often, despite the fact the farm is 300 miles from his home in the city. I guess there are many ways to do this... though not just yet, I imagine.

Enjoy your Sunday my friend, as well as the final weeks of the market. Temperatures were in the forties in northern California. Having grown up in Minnesota, I appreciate I have no reason to complain. And being reminded of what winter is REALLY like when you and Scott regale us with photos of snow, I know how fortunate I am to live where I do.

Any photos of the birthday that you can share?

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:40 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4192 #7 · p.4192 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I'll never tire of images like this, what a beauty.

Perhaps this winter, at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere, we could share a few of our favorite images. This thread is SO long and has had so many new folks coming and going, that I see nothing wrong with revisiting some images from the past. That one made more than one appearance, of course, in part to celebrate that lens. But it was taken three and a half years ago when this thread was still in its infancy. Could be fun...

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4192 #8 · p.4192 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
How would MY owning a D750 be a present for you?

Besides you already own a fine camera with a great sensor.

Happy Birthday Leighton. I hate to break it to you, but with that birthday behind you, you are now entering your 60th year on this planet. Funny how birthdays mark the end of a year rather than the beginning of one... at least my mind plays with such things.

In thinking about your birthday, which Sue mentioned last evening, I had to appreciate what a hard worker you are. I imagine it it too early to be thinking about
...Show more

Thanks buddy, please don't remind me of my age. I'm not quite ready to retire, although my body is certainly willing.

I'm certainly NOT ready for snow pics but there is a small chance of the white stuff tonight.

I was so tired last evening I didn't feel like taking any images. Have a great Sunday and say hello to Sue.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:49 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4192 #9 · p.4192 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Perhaps this winter, at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere, we could share a few of our favorite images. This thread is SO long and has had so many new folks coming and going, that I see nothing wrong with revisiting some images from the past. That one made more than one appearance, of course, in part to celebrate that lens. But it was taken three and a half years ago when this thread was still in its infancy. Could be fun...

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to go back into my archives and have a look.

You REALLY need to join us on Goggle +. Philippe joined yesterday and is already in conversation with Ben.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:51 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.4192 #10 · p.4192 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott, Georg, Samy, Kristian and Mark for the comments on the Estuary long exposure, and thanks everyone for the likes.

Jay, really nice sunsets with the Least Terns.

Dean, the protest shot of the couple and the post-it notes is outstanding.

Rafael, the f5.6 works better for me. Beautiful theatre shots.

Andy, lovely coastal shot. Good job getting the fisherman to stand still for 30 seconds.

Chuong, your trick or treaters are super cute.

Philippe, the restaurant shot sure has a lot of good things going on.

Christian, love the buck.

Mark, beautiful night shots.

Ronny, outstanding fish eyes. I had a 16/3.5 shot I was going to post, but, after seeing yours (and Georg's from a couple weeks ago), I think I'll go back and try to do better.

Carl, very cool Panda.

Ed and hiendiep, very nice foliage.

Kevin, cool door shot with the five-bladed lens.

Reagan, really nice composition and colors on the small boats.

Leighton, very nice feel to the early morning market shots. Happy birthday!

Sam, I like your converted pan handle clouds.

Steve, great tones in the felled trees.

Laura, terrific colors.

Curtis, beautiful rose image.

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Stokesey
• • •
p.4192 #11 · p.4192 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis .... you are a star !!

And the poppa of this thread .... for which I am grateful !!

And here you are offering fatherly reminders of things that need to be dusted off and put to good use ....

So I must now rectify the error of my ways and dig out my 80-200mm f4.5 and use it again ....

It seems I have too long been relying on the Leighton lens ... but the 80-200 was always a favourite in days of yore ....

So now I am off to the cupboard t reach into the back corner and retrieve said lens and mount it !!

I best clean it out first just in case it's full of dust !!

Thank you for the reminder (gorgeous rose by the way)

Steve

Nov 02, 2014 at 05:35 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4192 #12 · p.4192 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Jeff and thanks Steve.

Steve, a friend who like you was deeply invested in the world of Nikon film photography told me the 80-200 f/4.5 was a much prized lens in its day, one that he couldn't afford. I know that Nikon went on to create the 80-200 f/4 and then the f/2.8 but realizing I'd bought a lens that retailed for around $700 for the measly sum of $76 was shocking. Then I started shooting with it and my jaw dropped.

We've gone through episodes many times where a new/old lens appears on the thread and there has been a rush to buy a copy. That happened with this lens that is characterized by the rectangular baffle at the read end. I even copied a photo online to demonstrate to folks what i was talking about.

But as you say, lenses do find their way to the back of the cabinet. Of course, that is one of the reasons we can find such amazing deals when we're in the hunt for a manual focus lens.

Here's something a bit different from that lens, this time bare. This is a high school about two blocks from my home.

Take the lens for a spin Steve and remind us what a great performer it is.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4192 #13 · p.4192 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love the B&W treatment to the high school Curtis, not to mention the graphic appeal.

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:36 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4192 #14 · p.4192 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Even though the Mission San Luis Rey dia de los muertos event is large and impressive for its size, there is for me more feeling in the Escondido Center for the Arts event, it is more real, art at the museum, real mourners with little altars for real people, and dance in a theater. There are also a lot of SoCal Gringos who really understand the event and create their own altars.

I have too many pictures, and surely you will tire, here is some art and some reality. 55 1.2 SC D3, I will never sell the D3, it is such a pleasure to use, the images are very distinct from the D800. Less DR but so much cleaner and sharper (due to less pixels of course but a pleasure nevertheless)

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 S.C. D3 Escondido Center for the Arts Museum Dia de Los Muertos Art Large Skull by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 S.C. D3 Escondido Center for the Arts Museum Dia de Los Muertos Art by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 S.C. D3 Escondido Center for the Arts Museum Dia de Los Muertos Art Butterfly by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A fake Catrina

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 S.C. D3 Escondido Center for the Arts Museum Dia de Los Muertos Art Catrina by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A real Catrina Bride, note the name on the altar.

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 Escondido dia de los muertos 2014 Bride by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Nov 02, 2014 at 06:47 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4192 #15 · p.4192 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm the one in the blue mask with orange and yellow flowers painted on the mask.

leighton w wrote:
Ok Laura, which one is you?

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:46 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4192 #16 · p.4192 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And a few more from last night, my eyes are crossed over from doing photos today and staring at my screen

NightOwl Cat 2014

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/640s    200 ISO    -2.3 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2014

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/160s    280 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2014

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2014

The Book Truck

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/160s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:52 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4192 #17 · p.4192 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wearable puppets

NightOwl Cat 2014

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/160s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2014

NIKON D3    85mm    f/4.0    1/160s    360 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 02, 2014 at 08:57 PM
bobbelbob
• • •
p.4192 #18 · p.4192 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Jeff and thanks Steve.

Steve, a friend who like you was deeply invested in the world of Nikon film photography told me the 80-200 f/4.5 was a much prized lens in its day, one that he couldn't afford. I know that Nikon went on to create the 80-200 f/4 and then the f/2.8 but realizing I'd bought a lens that retailed for around $700 for the measly sum of $76 was shocking. Then I started shooting with it and my jaw dropped.

We've gone through episodes many times where a new/old lens appears on the thread and there has been a
...Show more

I really like the b/w conversion of the school!! Very clean..

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:06 PM
saph
• • • •
p.4192 #19 · p.4192 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tremendous work in the last many pages. Laura, thanks for posting the background link a few pages back to this celebration that Rafael has been posting pics of, and now you! It was very interesting to read that this goes back to the time of the Aztecs.

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:09 PM
saph
• • • •
p.4192 #20 · p.4192 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A cat pic for the day. This is with the 28 f2 N, wide open of course.

Cat1 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1       2       3              4191      
       4193              5887       5888       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4191      
       4193              5887       5888       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password