Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4160      
       4162              4265       4266       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4161 #1 · p.4161 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4161 #2 · p.4161 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I just got off the phone with Ryan for our inaugural in person conversation. We've been relying on PMs and more recently the Google Group. I've also been responding to PMs from folks offering their support and committing to be involved.

Just to be clear, Ryan has the web design side of things well in hand, so no one from this thread need to worry about their lack of technical skills. I'm aware, of course, that we have quite a few folks who frequent this thread who DO have such skills... thank you Ram... but we need a different kind of
...Show more

I guess one question would be cost. Domain names aren't free.

Also some hosts are easier to use then others. I am the webmaster for the farmers market's site, but it's a royal pain in the butt because I have to use Microsoft Expression Web which involves a lot of HTML. There are hosts like Square Space that makes the whole process relatively simple. How is nikonglass.com being set up?

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Fpessolano
• •
p.4161 #3 · p.4161 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny - what processing do you do to the flowers ?

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4161 #4 · p.4161 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I guess one question would be cost. Domain names aren't free.

Also some hosts are easier to use then others. I am the webmaster for the farmers market's site, but it's a royal pain in the butt because I have to use Microsoft Expression Web which involves a lot of HTML. There are hosts like Square Space that makes the whole process relatively simple. How is nikonglass.com being set up?

That is a question Ryan would need to answer but I know the site is being hosted on a server at GoDaddy on which he has another website he created a few years ago. He has fronted the domain which as James noted, is licensed for five years. As Ryan describes how this is being set up it sounds quite simple and I doubt familiarity with HTML is required. More will be revealed in that regard.

With regard to costs associated, we'll certainly discuss that, perhaps in the form of donations if it becomes necessary. We tossed around the idea of have some gear available with the logo for folks who might want a coffee cup, tee shirt or baseball cap. But this doesn't look like a costly venture, nor do I believe our happy band of photographers will be overly intimidated by what they're volunteering to do...

But it is nice to know if HTML programming is required where we can find that help... You can do it on your lunch break... never after a bottle of beer however...

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4161 #5 · p.4161 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That is a question Ryan would need to answer but I know the site is being hosted on a server at GoDaddy on which he has another website he created a few years ago. He has fronted the domain which as James noted, is licensed for five years. As Ryan describes how this is being set up it sounds quite simple and I doubt familiarity with HTML is required. More will be revealed in that regard.

With regard to costs associated, we'll certainly discuss that, perhaps in the form of donations if it becomes necessary. We tossed around the idea of
...Show more

Will work for beer.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:59 PM
nampramos
• •
p.4161 #6 · p.4161 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I can try to help as well!

Two more from yesterday's trip to Berlenga island.

Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS

DSE_0124.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

DSE_0130.jpg by Nuno André Ramos, on Flickr

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:35 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.4161 #7 · p.4161 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Inspired by Ram's woodpecker-shot:

ceramicist displaying her colorful work - 85/1.8H at f/4 (should have stopped down a bit more)

and one from today:

old harbor-crane - 24/2.8 Ais at f/4

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM
craigjohn
• •
p.4161 #8 · p.4161 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Yes, Ryan Monday and I are in conversation about creating a website that would serve as a companion to this thread as well as a resource for anyone interested in Nikon manual focus lenses. Ryan actually knows how to create such things and has expressed an interest in making it a reality.

While he is busy creating a container for information I'm inviting folks who have an interest in lending a hand with the project to join us. Initially we need to define exactly what we would want from this website. It is NOT intended to compete with FM or to
...Show more

Mustn't forget a link to Ken Rockwell's website.

I was a graphic designer for 15 years, and just started two blogs (www.juicygarlic.com and www.thefreshpic.com). Kinda wish I had more time to post more content, but logo designs were done by me. I used a wordpress template to piece it together - never used wordpress before, so that was a fun and fast learning experience in one week.

Lemme know what I can do to help out.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.4161 #9 · p.4161 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DF+80-200

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM
monday
• •
p.4161 #10 · p.4161 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey guys!

As Curtis said I think most of the web design stuff will be figured out from my end. It is using wordpress as the base. I am working on making at easy as possible for the few that choose to help out to add lenses to the database as easy as possible. There will be a simple guide on how to do this that will require no coding experience. Once the lens is entered into the database then registered users can rate the lens and write a review.

There will be more sections then this, such as the blog and article section as Curtis mentioned where we can get nice articles going comparing all the 135s or how to ai a lense or so on.

As for hosting and domain. That bit has already been done. We will find some ways to get the hosting covered but right now it is on my VPS through godaddy that hosts a few other sites and bigger communities I started (some up to 45k page views a day).

This mainly spawned from my end as I am tired of going between 10 different pages for information and then forgetting which exact lense was better say of the 135s.

The goal would be to have all this information on these old gems stored in a nice slick database driven by us as a community. With new content driven by nice articles and blogs written by people from here that mainly get hard to go back to after a few weeks time.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.4161 #11 · p.4161 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

monday wrote:
Hey guys!

As Curtis said I think most of the web design stuff will be figured out from my end. It is using wordpress as the base. I am working on making at easy as possible for the few that choose to help out to add lenses to the database as easy as possible. There will be a simple guide on how to do this that will require no coding experience. Once the lens is entered into the database then registered users can rate the lens and write a review.

There will be more sections then this, such as the blog
...Show more

My hat's off to you Monday!!!

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4161 #12 · p.4161 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I think people in this thread might interested in that I have listed my D700 in B&S board with matt type S focusing screen installed with f1.6 DOF capability. It will greatly improve your manual focusing experience with fast AIS glass. I prefer sell the body to someone value manual focusing, the benefit of matt screen is being able to see focus directly you can put your subject anywhere in the frame.

I will buy the same screen for my D810 as soon as it available.

Here are some images contribute

50f1.2 AIS all WO

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.4161 #13 · p.4161 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton - that BW portrait is outstanding. I think the whole "less detail is better for portraits" only applies to women. For men, more detail is what you want for sure. Did you show it to him / send him a copy ? If I was him I'd love it, print it big and hang it on the wall.

Yesterday's macros from the garden - I was actually gardening but as that is when I see most of the bugs I decided to keep the camera handy.

Having decided that for most bugs 1:1 isn't sufficient (ie my 105/2.8+PN11= 1:1) I am now forcing myself to use the 105+PN11+PK11+PK12+PK13 all the time - hand held it makes rather a long combination but by attaching the PK tubes first I can then attach the flash bracket to the PN11 tripod collar and keep the flash head/diffuser at the end of the lens / near the subject.

Banana Fly - at least that's what they call them here. Not sure whether it's the colour/shape or because they like bananas (which is what it is standing on here). Anyway, it's a type of dolichopid fly (dolichopid means long legged).

_AGM6000 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Tree Hopper - evolved to mimic a thorn on the trunk of plant/tree.
_AGM5975 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Type of native bee (stingless) - tiny, couple of mm, heavy crop even at 1.8x
_AGM5953 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Never seen this particular bug in the garden before. Check out that spike on it's back !
_AGM5967 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Curtis / Ryan - great idea for the extra site, not sure I can help but willing to if required, I have trouble even finding on here if I have posted a particular shot before never mind other peoples !

Andy

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:49 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.4161 #14 · p.4161 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

and

_AGM5997 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM5989 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_AGM5983 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:16 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4161 #15 · p.4161 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:

In order to help build more love for 45/2.8 AI-P as John keeps doing:

http://www.graphy.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/D600166-Edit.jpg

+1

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:39 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4161 #16 · p.4161 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Andy, your macros are amazing! What magnification are you getting with that setup?

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:04 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4161 #17 · p.4161 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

And a few more from yesterday.

First a 3-shot quickie pano with the 45/2.8P (it's not the sharpest, but it gets the view across):

And then some more . . .

Walking Towards . . .

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Incredible Meadows

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/11.0    1/180s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

+1

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

f/2.8 Flowers

NIKON D800    45.0 mm f/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.4161 #18 · p.4161 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm also a semi-decent graphics designer, though my skills are now put to more nefarious means – creating corporate powerpoint slides filled with management buzzwords. But yeah, infographics are also part of my output so if we’re ever headed that way…

Off the top of my head, I can volunteer to curate (fancy name) or simply tagging (real-world application) photos with the appropriate genre of subjects, etc.
Putting myself as a newcomer/new user of the site, what I’d really want is to be able to search for photos of what I would usually shoot (or want to shoot)
We can create a standard list so fellow curators, okay taggers, can choose from and link to photos – portrait, people, pets, fur, bokeh, flowers, macro, landscape, cityscape, etc

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4161 #19 · p.4161 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What an awesome gift you give to your daughters John by taking them out in this stunning world of nature. Thanks as well for sharing these photos with all of us. This really is magical.

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:48 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4161 #20 · p.4161 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
I'm also a semi-decent graphics designer, though my skills are now put to more nefarious means – creating corporate powerpoint slides filled with management buzzwords. But yeah, infographics are also part of my output so if we’re ever headed that way…

Off the top of my head, I can volunteer to curate (fancy name) or simply tagging (real-world application) photos with the appropriate genre of subjects, etc.
Putting myself as a newcomer/new user of the site, what I’d really want is to be able to search for photos of what I would usually shoot (or want to shoot)
We can create a standard
...Show more

Your help would be much appreciated but it is important to note that this will NOT be a site with heavy focus on photos. The photos to be included will relate to the lenses themselves plus a few photos to demonstrate what the lens is capable of doing. Since we have so many talented photographers on this thread who use these lenses, we'll have to do some difficult decision making. That will likely require some from the "committee" willing to make such decisions and coordinate with the photographer to get the image in the size to be used on the website. Hosting a great number of photos can be expensive but linking to other sites has its downside as well. Folks move photos and terminate accounts. We want to make certain that critical photos reside on the site but that there be a limit to how many are used/available.

This will all get clearer as we move forward. But we'd love to have you involved Chin... until changing diapers occupies ALL your time...

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password