Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4087      
       4089              4307       4308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4088 #1 · p.4088 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Are you de fishing these? If so, what are you using to do it?

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:52 PM
saph
• • • •
p.4088 #2 · p.4088 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nuno, interesting character at the SUP tournament.

Buddy, great fashion statement! Maybe we need one for Nikon Manual Focus Glass too.

Francesco, interesting observation about the tide in Britanny, and great portrait of your son. Reminds me, need to pull out my 85 1.8 HC and give it some camera time soon.

Curtis, good point about the fate of AF lenses owned by those who catch the MF fever. Mine have found very little use. To all the new folks who have jumped in the last week or two, be warned, there's no end to the variety and joy of these lenses.

Rafael, I liked the silhoutted OOF bells a lot!

Peter (Wisconsin), your panoramic mountainous vista at Kings Canyon National Park is marvelous!

Geoff, welcome, great flower colors and OOF areas with the 105 2.5. That lens (any variant from 1960 onwards) is a perfect match with the D800.

Joseph, wonderful pelican action set, and you have a great trio of MF Nikons to start with! And just came across the look in the rear view mirror. Nice capture!

Ram, love the blue heron action shot!

Jay, nice scenic panos.

Philippe, love what you got the 105 2.5 to do to the castle in the background!

Andy, great shots of the flowers running riot! And cute silky spider! Some weird stuff at Edinburgh museum, but very well captured.

Scott, loved that last shot of yours! Is that through a window or just grass and bushes? Just great effect on the frame around the building outside.

Leighton, will find one soon enough I will see if can find a door or window from Charleston to keep you mollified in the meanwhile And great portrait of your better half! Just saw you fell for yet another lens, that's a shiny mint copy of the 135 QC! Congrats!

David, glad to see you getting that 16 fisheye converted by John White. He is excellent at those conversions. The Ambassador bridge pano was very nice.

Ronny, always enjoyable seeing your work on the thread! Never fails.

Shane, welcome, and look forward to seeing your results from your manual Nikkors.

Hien, enjoyed that HDR scene at the beach with the 28 2. Hope to see more from your part of the world!

Monday in SF, really enjoy those street scenes you capture from that city!

John, terrific and such a picturesque pano of Crystal Lake.

I know I am missing many posts since all I managed to get to was the last 5-6 pages. Hope to get to at least some more soon.

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:53 PM
dhamments
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4088 #3 · p.4088 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Are you de fishing these? If so, what are you using to do it?

Hi Kevin, I'm assuming your question is directed to me as I've been posting with a "fisheye" 16mm..... The answer to your question is no.... I don't need to defish images with this lens, as I believe it's rectilinear. A minor amount of perspective distortion has been done in LR 5.6, but little else. The other 16mm experts may chime in with a little more information regarding why this "fisheye" 16mm f3.5 ai doesn't need to be "de-fished".

Cheers and good light,
David

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:21 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.4088 #4 · p.4088 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David The 16mm 3.5 acts as a 21mm lens on a crop camera and I found that I hardly ever needed to df-fish. On full frame it has a much more defined fisheye effect and I use it mostly for special photos.

ray

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:30 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4088 #5 · p.4088 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This shot is also not de-fished, on FX sensor - in places without straight lines you can get away with it, especially if you hold it close to level

f/8.0 1/200 ISO 100, somewhere in upper Le Conte Canyon

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:48 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.4088 #6 · p.4088 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

other times the 16mm gets very fishy - can't imagine how to de-fish this without cropping half the image. Snow on Parker Pass near Yosemite's eastern border with bonus star burst in water

f/11.0 1/400s ISO 100

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:54 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.4088 #7 · p.4088 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Rafael the car show photos are definitely your forte. I love the editing. It really enhances the beauty of those classic motor cars. You have a wonderful grasp of the compression of the lenses that fall in the 50 mm's I can see why they are your favorites. Well done!

Ray

I have to admit anything that resembles a car I can make look good.

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 D800 old car elfin forest by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 04, 2014 at 01:56 AM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:02 PM
dhamments
• •
p.4088 #8 · p.4088 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
David The 16mm 3.5 acts as a 21mm lens on a crop camera and I found that I hardly ever needed to df-fish. On full frame it has a much more defined fisheye effect and I use it mostly for special photos.

ray

Thanks Ray! I won't have an opportunity to mount the lens on my D700 until early September, when I return to Oz (unless I purchase a Nikon Df while I'm home in Canada). Once on an FX body, will LR 5.6 be sufficient for removing the WA distortion?

Cheers, David

Edit: As I read this I see Peter has already post a few examples of full frame images with this lens... looks like the key is to keep the lens level and not have distracting lines in the image....

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:22 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.4088 #9 · p.4088 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Abstract SJC Mission

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3863/14839629743_685d109bf0_h.jpgnikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano courtyard by Rafael CA, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/14817436624_c9f99adfac_h.jpgnikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano ARCHES by Rafael CA, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/14819794785_b4fcb5a678_h.jpgnikon nkkor 105mm 2.5 ais D800 at 2.5 san juan capistrano bells by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael, great series! Lovely warm light and nice compositions.

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:20 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.4088 #10 · p.4088 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Scott, loved that last shot of yours! Is that through a window or just grass and bushes? Just great effect on the frame around the building outside.

Thanks Samy. The foreground is out of focus grasses and wild flowers.

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

saph
• • • •
p.4088 #11 · p.4088 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Now a few scenes from Charleston.

S2 Tracker on the deck of the USS Yorktown, a storied aircraft carrier that saw much action in World War II and continued to serve the US Navy until the 1960s. Its now a museum ship in the Mount Pleasant area, and for anyone going to Charleston the aircraft carrier is a must tour.

The S2 Tracker was an ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) carrier based airplane that served the US Navy until the mid-1970s. Its retired now from service in all nations where it was exported but one - Brazil.

18 3.5 AIS.
S2TrackerBnW by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Items such as baskets and this vase with flowers made from a kind of grass are a speciality in South Carolina, where the skill came along from West Africa.
10.5cm f2.5 P
GrassBasket by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And for a more contemporary scene, sign in a cafe doubling as a hookah bar.
HookahBar by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 04, 2014 at 01:24 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:29 AM
saph
• • • •
p.4088 #12 · p.4088 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tried to go to the Confederate Museum but it was closed. Had to make do with these two images instead.

The Confederate Museum. The building sign says Daughters of the Confederacy.

ConfederateMuseum by maryland_photos, on Flickr

A sign that I ran into and just had to point the 10.5 f2.5 P at. The image above is with the same lens.
DissolvedUnionSouthCarolina by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:34 AM
saph
• • • •
p.4088 #13 · p.4088 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

There is a museum that houses the old slave mart of Charleston. That was open.

35 f2 OC
SlaveMartMuseum by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Charleston was a major center for slave trade from the early 1800s to the end of the Civil War. The mart was set up after an ordinance prohibited the trade in public areas, and functioned from 1856 to 1863, and literally was a place where slaves were brought to be displayed, and buyers came and evaluated them before deciding to buy. After the civil war the mart got repurposed.

The gentleman selling the museum tickets asked not to take any pictures of the artifacts in the museum since they were copyrighted. One interesting chart was the "price table", which gave a breakdown of prices per age from 1 to 60. A one year old was priced at $100, and price rose up to age 20, where it peaked at $950, and then dropped all the way to someone aged 60 who would only fetch $50.

Since artifact photos were out of bounds, I thought it would make sense to take these two photos, presuming the walls and the floor in some form were the same that the slaves waiting for their fate spent a lot of time looking at.

Slave Mart pillar bricks. 10.5cm f2.5 P
SlaveMartMuseumWall by maryland_photos, on Flickr

And wood floor. SlaveMartFloor by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:50 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.4088 #14 · p.4088 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I'll probably end up doing the conversion myself. Didn't Jose document that procedure?

Leighton, yes, after buying a factory ring for the 16/3.5 F (from Ray if I am not wrong) in the end I decided to make myself the ai'd work, specially in the cases where the scalloped ring is original. BTW anyone interested in 400/5.6 K ED & 16/3.5 F factory rings, just PM me.

The best resource I know to DIY is this one:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

Contrary to Pindelski, I prefer to maintainr the aperture "claw" when possible.
The critical issue is to pay attention to the table (in the mifddle of the document) titled "Nikkor pre-Ai filing limit
for Ai conversion, maximum aperture".

I repost two of my conversions below:

Nikkor-N.C 24mm f/2.8 ring conversion to AI by labecoaves, on Flickr

This is the conversion on my ex 24/2.8 NC (sold because an impossible to fix haze inside the lens). D600 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 ais hand held.
Just to show the easy task with the final cosmetic touch (matte black paint).

DIY-ai-conversion-set by labecoaves, on Flickr

This is an illustration of the work on my 105/2.5 P Sonnar. Contrary to Pindelski, I prefer to maintain the aperture "claw" just because I like the original look of the lens.
All ring shots with D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 hand held.
Debut shot ("selfie") of the ai'd lens with D7000 hand held.

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:54 AM
saph
• • • •
p.4088 #15 · p.4088 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I remember those AI'ing shots from before. You make it look easy Jose. Go for it Leighton!

Some more from Charleston.

First of all the deck from where I took those few shots of the alligator and green heron. The metadata is wrong, this isn't 105mm but the 18mm 3.5 AIS.
KiawahLagoon by maryland_photos, on Flickr

The flag lined walkway to the USS Yorktown. Somehow I keep on calling it USS Yorkshire, that's what I told the lady at the ticket counter 55 1.2 S.
WalkwayToUSSYorkshire by maryland_photos, on Flickr

The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge which one crosses over from downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant to get to the USS Yorktown. Also 55 1.2 S.

ArthurRavenelJrBridge by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Aug 04, 2014 at 01:20 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.4088 #16 · p.4088 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy you are doing the 18mm 3.5 very proud. Excellent work!

Aug 04, 2014 at 01:26 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.4088 #17 · p.4088 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Need to catch up more than 20 pages after 4 days out...

John & Peter, superb sets of wild scenarios and nightscapes mostly with the venerable 16/3.5; BTW my copy (a F version) also has infinity focus far shorter than the infinity mark on the lens;

Ram, awesome hummingbird & nutcracker shots;

duahau, what jaw dropping macros with the humble (and often maligned !) 43-86/3.5; as this lens is supposed to have a MFD of just 1.2m, did you used any tubes or close up lenses??

Andy, super flowers and bugs macrophotos; for the bugs did you use the 105/2.8 micro??

John, sad to hear from you the bad experience with Nikon service; here in Brazil too I decided to send my lenses for cleaning only to independent technicians (old guys BTW). I feel that Nikon wants we buy only the "plastic fantastic" and replace them each 2-3 years, and forget the old lenses...

Francesco, congrats on the new 85/1.8;

Scott, loved the "whats up Doc"

Ryan, great sets of B&W street photography;

Nuno, great scenarios, as usual;

HienDep, loved your cityscapes, so crisp and colourful;

Mark, loved the History lesson on Dresden and the shots;

Georg, beautiful Danish coast set and loved the swallows;

Joseph, superb BIF; and take care, NMFAS is a serious and highly infectious disease on here

Leighton, congrats on that beauty of 135/2.8 QC; loved the flowers with 35/1.4 wide open too;

Samy, what a capture of the alligatorn in action!

Ronny and Curtis, beautifully captured flowers, as usual;

Ken, loved the dove sequence.

Edited on Aug 04, 2014 at 04:10 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.4088 #18 · p.4088 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Anyone looking for a low click D700 with grip ? Foto Forum in Phoenix has an 8000 click, with Nikon grip, boxed, for $1,400 . It looks pretty much like new to me. Their phone - 602-263-0084 .
Harry Palmer

Aug 04, 2014 at 02:02 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.4088 #19 · p.4088 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, I believe the area is called "Patriots Point"
My wife and I had lunch on the Yorktown and i would not recommend it to anyone
All my photos were AF then

Reagan

Good work withe 18

Aug 04, 2014 at 02:04 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4088 #20 · p.4088 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

dhamments wrote:
Good afternoon all. There has been much to like once again as this thread moves rapidly forward. At the risk of over posting images from my first session with the 16mm f3.5 (now ai), here's one final image that needed a little help. After some cropping and a boost with Color Efex Pro, I offer this shot for consideration... It's raining tonight, so doesn't look like I'll be able to get out and "give er another go".

Cheers and good light,
David

David, it is a time honored tradition that when someone gets a new lens they have free reign to inundate the thread with photos... four at a time, of course. We never want to dampen enthusiasm and nothing stirs people's lens lust as quickly as someone else's LOVE for a lens. Of course, the 16 f/3.5 in all its iterations is already much loved. It is one of those lenses that costs a bit more, but most find it a worthwhile investment. You'll have to tell us what it feels like WHEN you pick up that DF...

Aug 04, 2014 at 02:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password